Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Reserve Companion Ticket w/Z fares

Delta Reserve Companion Ticket w/Z fares

Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JTE458
I used it for D1 to ATL-SLC no issues.
ATL-SLC is not a D1 route. Ever.

It is operated by widebody equipment at times - but always marketed as First Class.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:33 am

What is a D1 route? To me if it has lie flat seats thats D1.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bgriff
I take it from the above that the Reserve companion cert can still be used for the transcon Delta One routes? The T&Cs on the Amex site very clearly reference FC/C+/Y but not D1.
As you can see from my screen shot above it worked for DCA-LAX in D1. I think the cert is just coded to search for I/Z class on flights in the lower 48, so it doesn't seem to exclude the transcon D1 routes. I didn't realize the Amex T&C don't reference this.
bgriff and gooselee like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
As you can see from my screen shot above it worked for DCA-LAX in D1. I think the cert is just coded to search for I/Z class on flights in the lower 48, so it doesn't seem to exclude the transcon D1 routes. I didn't realize the Amex T&C don't reference this.
They probably don’t mention it in the T&C’s to avoid confusion. If it said “domestic D1 routes”, that’s not 100% accurate as you can’t use them to HNL unless you are a resident of HI. When you go to the cert booking page, all the domestic D1 routes except HNL show up just fine as long as Z or I fares are available.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestically, all nonstops between JFK and LAX/SFO, HNL and MSP/DTW/ATL, and I believe select flights on other routes such as DCA-LAX, JFK-LAS and JFK-SEA.
The flat bed is only ONE element of what Delta markets as DeltaOne. Others include SkyClub access (which you don't get on an ATL-SLC widebody), enhanced catering, bedding, amenity kits, and restrictions on the timing of medallion upgrades. It's DeltaOne if the website says it's DeltaOne when you book.
bgriff likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:14 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
They probably don’t mention it in the T&C’s to avoid confusion. If it said “domestic D1 routes”, that’s not 100% accurate as you can’t use them to HNL unless you are a resident of HI. When you go to the cert booking page, all the domestic D1 routes except HNL show up just fine as long as Z or I fares are available.
Yeah, I was thinking that, although the lower 48 restriction is pretty clear, and there are also F/C+/Y flights to Hawaii which aren't eligible for mainland residents. I guess it's just an oversight.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Doesn’t matter what it means to you.

It is D1 if the flight is marketed as such. When it is marketed as such, it had multiple downstream implications, including eligible changes, combinations, SDC, eligibility to use various certificates, etc.

That’s why the distinction is important.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:44 am

Has anyone had a recent issue using their Delta reserve companion certs to book Main Cabin online? First class is showing up when searching online for a simple SEA-SFO, but main cabin or comfort isn't (yes booking code X availability exists for more than two people, it's just that search engine errors out even before showing flight options)
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's some other recent threads noting these issues. I get same errors, but there do seem to be very limited dates on this route with availability in Main/C+ (Sep 29 - Oct 5, for example). Not sure if this is due to limiting inventory for certs beyond LUTXV bucket availability, or just general bugginess. I would try calling.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Old May 31, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
Looking at booking JFK-LAX in D1 in Z class and nothing is showing up when I try to book online. Anyone else having issues lately or experience booking domestic D1? I'll call when I have the patience.
Old May 31, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Looking at booking JFK-LAX in D1 in Z class and nothing is showing up when I try to book online. Anyone else having issues lately or experience booking domestic D1? I'll call when I have the patience.
there was stuff going around earlier about how it is no longer valid on domestic D1.
a horrible downgrade in service. I canceled my card.
Old May 31, 2021, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, there are existing discussions on this in the consolidated thread -- AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread. The language excluding Delta One has actually been there for some time (you can look it up in the Wayback Machine), but apparently they have only recently started enforcing it (within last year).

"Companion Certificate valid for one round-trip First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin Companion ticket with the payment of applicable taxes and fees detailed below and the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States."

Last edited by xliioper; May 31, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Looks like this is broken once again. When doing dummy bookings, I’m noticing that only I class shows up for FC on the Reserve companion certificate when there are more than 2 seats left in Z still available.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sad to say this is definitely still broken. It's weird because it was fixed for a time, and this is a regression.

Website does not consider Z to be a valid class, and it took two calls and 50 minutes with a supervisor to get them to force issue the ticket in Z class.

The agent I talked to said she would file a bug report; no idea if this means anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.