Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giving up upgrades for Lent

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What do you do if you can't find anyone who is willing to take your middle C+ "upgrade"?
I realize you might never fly back there anymore, but there are middle seats in Y :-)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I realize you might never fly back there anymore, but there are middle seats in Y :-)
I didn't know planes actually had middle seats in the back. I thought all planes only had 2x2 configurations or 1x2 for the small CRJs
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Isn't giving away something you got for free also known as "Re-gifting"?

Giving away a paid F seat... well...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Silly. If you don't want an upgrade, don't request it.

you can't get a free upgrade then give it away to a total stranger - likely a violation of the Medallion t&cs and certainly a problem with the manifest having different people in different cabins

also stinks that a lowly silver or gold who rarely see upgrades doesn't get their earned benefit from the UG list yet someone who doesn't qualify for the upgrade is getting it nonetheless
Common scenario for most of us...traveling with a companion and on the bubble. One of us gets the upgrade and one of us doesn't, but we accept one upgrade since one of us in F is better than zero of us in F. I will always give the upgrade to my companions since my companions do not fly as much, but its always my name that got upgraded and we just swap seats (and let the FA know what we are doing). Do you think if my companion is in my F seat, DL should claw back the upgrade? OP clears it with the FA, OP is doing a nice thing for someone - I don't see any issue with it. To me it falls in the same category as swapping with a companion. What is wrong with this world that we criticize someone for doing a nice thing and having a heart and some generosity?
flyingmontana likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I agree. The upgrade is for YOU. It is not your privilege to give it away. My guess is if you ask Delta, they would agree. Since the FA's now have access to the names on a manifest (with their hand
helds), they could deny the upgrade if they names don't match.
They could also ask the person why he's there, and accept the explanation, right?

Quite interesting, when the reaction to someone doing something nice for a perfect stranger is to criticize the person.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
What is wrong with this world that we criticize someone for doing a nice thing and having a heart and some generosity?
Answer: “the nice gesture didn’t benefit me so therefore it’s wrong”. As you noted, this happens frequently with those of us who may be traveling with a companion where one gets upgraded and one doesn’t so the upgraded person trades seats with a person next to their companion. Lucky person next to the non-upgraded spouse gets the F upgrade. An F seat is usually a pretty good bargaining chip.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Quite interesting, when the reaction to someone doing something nice for a perfect stranger is to criticize the person.
I just find it interesting that someone gives away something that cost them nothing, and that turns them into a philanthropist?
MSPeconomist and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I just find it interesting that someone gives away something that cost them nothing, and that turns them into a philanthropist?
Who said anything like that? Geez. OP got a first class seat he could use for himself, but instead decides to give it to someone else. That's doing something nice for someone. That's it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“0$ Cost” does not mean “$0 value”. Even if would have cost OP nothing (which is debatable itself since there’s a “cost” to getting and obtaining status), OP still gave up something of value.
dmarge18 and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
So using that logic; if I got a gift of $1 million and gave it away I wouldn’t be a philanthropist. So all of those “philanthropic” family foundations that were funded years ago should really call themselves something else?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
A few years ago I started giving up all my upgrades (which are usually first class, since I travel weekly between my job in Ohio, my husband in New York and the skydiving team I run in North Carolina, and those routes aren't in high demand) during Lent. In some ways it's awful--I depend on those first class seats to catch up on sleep since I am absolutely exhausted all the time. But I've also noticed that it makes me appreciate the upgrades the rest of the year so much more. Since I devoted myself to Delta only and gained status, I'm ashamed to say that I feel like I turn into more of an ....... (even if it's just my internal attitude) when I get too used to flying in first class! It's like being surrounded by rich people contagiously infects me with some sort of annoyed, entitled mood. I hate myself for it! Giving up the upgrades for Lent hits the reset button on that. Also, it is fun to look around and find someone who looks like they could really use it (sometimes they're really tall, old, injured/disabled, or just look really tired or upset) and see their surprise and joy when I explain and ask to switch seats with them. I always inform the flight attendants/gate agent what I'm doing and they have always been supportive and helpful. The emotional benefits to me are great enough that sometimes I think I should just keep doing it after Lent, but I'm just too tired and selfish for that
Why? Do you feel that taking upgrades is sinful or gluttonous? Are they bad for you?

I think you know the answer and hence this is faulty thinking to continue to do this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Why? Do you feel that taking upgrades is sinful or gluttonous? Are they bad for you?

I think you know the answer and hence this is faulty thinking to continue to do this.
You do realize that giving up something for Lent goes beyond something that is “sinful” or “gluttonous”, right? Some people give up something that isn’t sinful or gluttonous but benefits someone else. Maybe someone gives up playing golf on the weekends, which isn’t a sin, m and instead uses that time for something charitable. That can be part of “giving up something for Lent”.

ETA: I’m would say I’m not sure OP needed to brag or hunblebrag about it on FT (as originally said to me offline by another FTer and I point I would agree with but I do also get the point the OP was trying to share).
flyingmontana likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Mar 19, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by JTE458
While I don't see the point in giving up ALL my upgrades, I can appreciate what you are doing giving them out. As a recent PM I just now have started to get them regularly (appx 40% success rate this year) and can see on the days I'm traveling for work where I won't be partaking in the drink service doing that occasionally. Best of luck!
Must be nice, as a DM I am at a 29% success rate this year so far.

I decided to create a spreadsheet to track it this year strictly from a curiosity standpoint. Not sure about this "thinning of diamonds" with the new Amex waiver but my upgrades have gone down A LOT. I am 0% for upgrades to F in February and March so far. (Only upgrades this year were in January)

Lots and lots of 1, 2, or 3 for 0 seats though so yay????
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Must be nice, as a DM I am at a 33% success rate this year so far.

I decided to create a spreadsheet to track it this year strictly from a curiosity standpoint. Not sure about this "thinning of diamonds" with the new Amex waiver but my upgrades have gone down A LOT. I am 0% for upgrades to F in February and March so far. (Only upgrades this year were in January)

The DM heard is probably thinner due to the waiver but DL is doing a more effective job at successfully monetizing the front cabin. That’s the simple reality of it. Many F cabins on the flights I book are already mostly full well before the T-5 UG window.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmontana
A few years ago I started giving up all my upgrades (which are usually first class, since I travel weekly between my job in Ohio, my husband in New York and the skydiving team I run in North Carolina, and those routes aren't in high demand) during Lent. In some ways it's awful--I depend on those first class seats to catch up on sleep since I am absolutely exhausted all the time. But I've also noticed that it makes me appreciate the upgrades the rest of the year so much more. Since I devoted myself to Delta only and gained status, I'm ashamed to say that I feel like I turn into more of an ....... (even if it's just my internal attitude) when I get too used to flying in first class! It's like being surrounded by rich people contagiously infects me with some sort of annoyed, entitled mood. I hate myself for it! Giving up the upgrades for Lent hits the reset button on that. Also, it is fun to look around and find someone who looks like they could really use it (sometimes they're really tall, old, injured/disabled, or just look really tired or upset) and see their surprise and joy when I explain and ask to switch seats with them. I always inform the flight attendants/gate agent what I'm doing and they have always been supportive and helpful. The emotional benefits to me are great enough that sometimes I think I should just keep doing it after Lent, but I'm just too tired and selfish for that
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Must be nice, as a DM I am at a 29% success rate this year so far.

It may be due to my travel schedule which is primarily out on Friday afternoon and back early Sunday. Evening Fridays and early morning Sundays are usually emptier. I was 9 for 12 seats on a redeye Sunday night SAN - ATL and got upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.