Wiki Posts
Search

Giving up upgrades for Lent

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
Giving up upgrades for Lent

A few years ago I started giving up all my upgrades (which are usually first class, since I travel weekly between my job in Ohio, my husband in New York and the skydiving team I run in North Carolina, and those routes aren't in high demand) during Lent. In some ways it's awful--I depend on those first class seats to catch up on sleep since I am absolutely exhausted all the time. But I've also noticed that it makes me appreciate the upgrades the rest of the year so much more. Since I devoted myself to Delta only and gained status, I'm ashamed to say that I feel like I turn into more of an ....... (even if it's just my internal attitude) when I get too used to flying in first class! It's like being surrounded by rich people contagiously infects me with some sort of annoyed, entitled mood. I hate myself for it! Giving up the upgrades for Lent hits the reset button on that. Also, it is fun to look around and find someone who looks like they could really use it (sometimes they're really tall, old, injured/disabled, or just look really tired or upset) and see their surprise and joy when I explain and ask to switch seats with them. I always inform the flight attendants/gate agent what I'm doing and they have always been supportive and helpful. The emotional benefits to me are great enough that sometimes I think I should just keep doing it after Lent, but I'm just too tired and selfish for that
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Why don’t you just disable the upgrade request in the app?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by micstatic
Why don’t you just disable the upgrade request in the app?
the OP explained why ... gets enjoyment out of giving the upgrade to someone they choose
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
I wait to board till the later zones are boarding. Then I can pick out someone who probably wouldn't be likely to get upgrades ever. If I just disable the app, my upgrade will go to someone next in line for an upgrade, who won't appreciate it as much. The whole point is to give something unexpected to someone who would not ever get to fly first class otherwise.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by flyingmontana
A few years ago I started giving up all my upgrades (which are usually first class, since I travel weekly between my job in Ohio, my husband in New York and the skydiving team I run in North Carolina, and those routes aren't in high demand) during Lent. In some ways it's awful--I depend on those first class seats to catch up on sleep since I am absolutely exhausted all the time. But I've also noticed that it makes me appreciate the upgrades the rest of the year so much more. Since I devoted myself to Delta only and gained status, I'm ashamed to say that I feel like I turn into more of an ....... (even if it's just my internal attitude) when I get too used to flying in first class! It's like being surrounded by rich people contagiously infects me with some sort of annoyed, entitled mood. I hate myself for it! Giving up the upgrades for Lent hits the reset button on that. Also, it is fun to look around and find someone who looks like they could really use it (sometimes they're really tall, old, injured/disabled, or just look really tired or upset) and see their surprise and joy when I explain and ask to switch seats with them. I always inform the flight attendants/gate agent what I'm doing and they have always been supportive and helpful. The emotional benefits to me are great enough that sometimes I think I should just keep doing it after Lent, but I'm just too tired and selfish for that
While I don't see the point in giving up ALL my upgrades, I can appreciate what you are doing giving them out. As a recent PM I just now have started to get them regularly (appx 40% success rate this year) and can see on the days I'm traveling for work where I won't be partaking in the drink service doing that occasionally. Best of luck!
flyingmontana likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
Good lord, I thought I was a fairly nice person, but you sound like a really nice person. Very thoughtful of you indeed.
puck021, Osmo and flyingmontana like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wow, you are a good and kind person! I'm catholic, don't give up anything for Lent, instead I say a rosary every night and I'll definitely think of you when I do tonight's.
flyingmontana likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
What a nice gesture! Although Delta seems to make that decision for me much of the time these days, and not just during Lent...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I am agnostic so I keep all my upgrades
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:34 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This thread has given me a very generous idea . . . .

I haven't flown yet since being demoted to a lowly PM, but, I do expect to get far fewer UGs.

That said . . . . I'm gonna hafto seriously consider trading all of my Comfort Plus middle seat <so called> upgrades, to someone who appears to be in need of a cheer-up!

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 19, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Silly. If you don't want an upgrade, don't request it.

you can't get a free upgrade then give it away to a total stranger - likely a violation of the Medallion t&cs and certainly a problem with the manifest having different people in different cabins

also stinks that a lowly silver or gold who rarely see upgrades doesn't get their earned benefit from the UG list yet someone who doesn't qualify for the upgrade is getting it nonetheless
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
This thread has given me a very generous idea . . . .

I haven't flown yet since being demoted to a lowly PM, but, I do expect to get far fewer UGs.

That said . . . . I'm gonna hafto seriously consider trading all of my Comfort Plus middle seat <so called> upgrades, to someone who appears to be in need of a cheep-up!

What do you do if you can't find anyone who is willing to take your middle C+ "upgrade"?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:34 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What do you do if you can't find anyone who is willing to take your middle C+ "upgrade"?
I don't know, but, you think of EVERYTHING!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Being nice to others isn't silly. It's actually being nice.
puck021, sky303, GMTmin8 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345

you can't get a free upgrade then give it away to a total stranger - likely a violation of the Medallion t&cs and certainly a problem with the manifest having different people in different cabins

also stinks that a lowly silver or gold who rarely see upgrades doesn't get their earned benefit from the UG list yet someone who doesn't qualify for the upgrade is getting it nonetheless
I agree. The upgrade is for YOU. It is not your privilege to give it away. My guess is if you ask Delta, they would agree. Since the FA's now have access to the names on a manifest (with their hand
helds), they could deny the upgrade if they names don't match.
MSPeconomist and btonkid12345 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.