Giving up upgrades for Lent

Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I am agnostic so I keep all my upgrades
Each to their own, but being agnostic or anything anyone chooses doesn’t preclude anyone from showing random acts of kindness. Bravo to the OP.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I agree. The upgrade is for YOU. It is not your privilege to give it away. My guess is if you ask Delta, they would agree. Since the FA's now have access to the names on a manifest (with their hand
helds), they could deny the upgrade if they names don't match.
Did you not notice the part of my post where I said that I always tell the flight attendants and GA what I am doing? They have never been anything but supportive and even delighted to help.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Not Delta specific, but on topic. I will often approach the GA to ask them to switch my FC seat (paid or upgraded) for uniformed military personnel. It is anonymous as I do not want the sailor/soldier to know it is me but do ask the GA to thank them for their service. I have learned to do this very, very quietly as often the next entitled person on the UG list will loudly exclaim if she does not want the seat then I am next for it. I keep my seat in such circumstances. I should note I only do this on flights of less than a couple of hours - I am not that altruistic!

I was berated on FT for not doing this for non-uniformed military personnel so on my flight two weeks ago I saw a young man with an Army backpack so asked the GA to switch me. However, he did not board with the military preboard folks so going back to my policy of uniform personnel only.

Yes it makes me feel good, but more importantly I want these young men and women to know that their service is appreciated.

Bravo to the OP who is doing something nice for others during Lent. It makes the world seem a little nicer with them in it.
flyingmontana and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
P.S. Also, I am technically agnostic, but participate in Lent because my husband is Catholic and I like to participate as much as possible in his religious community and practices.
As to whether my upgrades COST me anything, I think they do--I travel exclusively on my own dime, my work doesn't pay for any of it, and I spend about half my take home salary on Delta. The reward is the Platinum status and upgrades. I sort of earned them, so I'm not just practicing philanthropy by giving away something I got for "free."
Sorry about the fact that my post could be seen as bragging, I was actually hoping that someone would see the part about the emotional benefits I gain from doing this and decide to try it themselves.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

You do realize that giving up something for Lent goes beyond something that is “sinful” or “gluttonous”, right? Some people give up something that isn’t sinful or gluttonous but benefits someone else. Maybe someone gives up playing golf on the weekends, which isn’t a sin, m and instead uses that time for something charitable. That can be part of “giving up something for Lent”.

ETA: I’m would say I’m not sure OP needed to brag or hunblebrag about it on FT (as originally said to me offline by another FTer and I point I would agree with).
While it doesn't necesarily need to be those things I suggested, I do think it should be something that is labeled as a sacrifice. If one were paying for upgrades then ok, I get it. But earned upgrades... nah. Gving something up just to say you stopped doing something doesn't really register for me. Should I stop sleeping? Now, not playing AS MUCH golf. ok ;-)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr
While it doesn't necesarily need to be those things I suggested, I do think it should be something that is labeled as a sacrifice. If one were paying for upgrades then ok, I get it. But earned upgrades... nah. Gving something up just to say you stopped doing something doesn't really register for me. Should I stop sleeping? Now, not playing AS MUCH golf. ok ;-)
Lent is supposed to be about reflection, so many folks give up something to reflect and appreciate what they have. It can be about sacrifice but it truly is meant to be about reflection. I am hoping the OP helps one more person think about others in this earthly world. It does not have to be what the OP does, perhaps it is helping the mother trying to maneuver a baby and fold up a stroller on a jet bridge by herself, or perhaps help an elderly person get their carryon into and out of the overhead bin. It is reflecting on how to make our time on earth better for those around us. Giving up a round of golf? Sure if you think that makes it better for the folks around you. A bit of humanity in an otherwise busy, chaotic and at times uncaring place for some of our fellow humans.
CPMaverick and flyingmontana like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Lent is supposed to be about reflection, so many folks give up something to reflect and appreciate what they have. It can be about sacrifice but it truly is meant to be about reflection. I am hoping the OP helps one more person think about others in this earthly world. It does not have to be what the OP does, perhaps it is helping the mother trying to maneuver a baby and fold up a stroller on a jet bridge by herself, or perhaps help an elderly person get their carryon into and out of the overhead bin. It is reflecting on how to make our time on earth better for those around us. Giving up a round of golf? Sure if you think that makes it better for the folks around you. A bit of humanity in an otherwise busy, chaotic and at times uncaring place for some of our fellow humans.
You had me until the giving up of a round of golf
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
Did you not notice the part of my post where I said that I always tell the flight attendants and GA what I am doing? They have never been anything but supportive and even delighted to help.
Just because the line employees have nothing against it doesn't mean Delta supports this.

The FFP benefits are explicitly for the member and a potential companion attached to the same PNR and not designed for an upgraded member to play Santa Clause at the gate and give it away to random people. If you don't want the upgrade then decline it and it goes to the next person on the upgrade list as it should be.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Only on FT will people complain about doing something nice. Good grief.

Good for you OP. That's very thoughtful and I am sure you've made quite a few people happier.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Being nice to others isn't silly. It's actually being nice.
It's being nice to the person you give the upgrade to, and anti-nice to the next medallion on the list who doesn't get it.

But only the person you can see exists/matters, right? That's why it's right to be polite to the person taking 30 seconds to crawl out of their seat and slowly get their bag from the overhead before leaving, because you're being polite to the person you can see. The 150 people behind you who you're delaying don't count because you can't see them.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Answer: “the nice gesture didn’t benefit me so therefore it’s wrong”. As you noted, this happens frequently with those of us who may be traveling with a companion where one gets upgraded and one doesn’t so the upgraded person trades seats with a person next to their companion. Lucky person next to the non-upgraded spouse gets the F upgrade. An F seat is usually a pretty good bargaining chip.
When I'm traveling with a companion and we get one upgrade, we (my wife) uses it. If we preferred to sit together, we'd decline the upgrade (I've done that). With a companion, we have the same priority, so Delta doesn't care which of us goes first.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DM heard is probably thinner due to the waiver but DL is doing a more effective job at successfully monetizing the front cabin. That’s the simple reality of it. Many F cabins on the flights I book are already mostly full well before the T-5 UG window.
With the waiver waiver, I don't think the herd is thinner yet. Not much, anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
When I'm traveling with a companion and we get one upgrade, we (my wife) uses it. If we preferred to sit together, we'd decline the upgrade (I've done that). With a companion, we have the same priority, so Delta doesn't care which of us goes first.
A “companion” doesn’t always end up with the same priority though. Plenty of reasons companions may be booked on separate tickets where the priority of the higher member doesn’t transfer over to the other member. And so one upgraded member may elect to use their F upgrade as a bargaining chip to swap seats.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:23 pm

Plot twist, give it to partner elites (which is ranked lower than all DL Medallions)?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by sethb
It's being nice to the person you give the upgrade to, and anti-nice to the next medallion on the list who doesn't get it.

But only the person you can see exists/matters, right? That's why it's right to be polite to the person taking 30 seconds to crawl out of their seat and slowly get their bag from the overhead before leaving, because you're being polite to the person you can see. The 150 people behind you who you're delaying don't count because you can't see them.
Holy moly.

As much as I tried, if I typed the rest of what came to mind I might get banned or at least reported, so I will leave this thread here.

OP: I admire your kindness and generosity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.