Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have a Delta AMEX card and elite status question?

Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm just trying to learn and understand how Delta's FFP work so please bear with me. As a non-US resident, I'm assuming that I don't have any spending requirements/MQD for gain status right? The only thing that I need to do is to fly enough in a calendar year to go from one level to another?

I know AMEX is currently having a promotion for their Delta cards. I'm interested in getting the Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX (Personal/Business) for the free bag and priority boarding. I have no intention of putting any spending on that card other than to get the welcome bonus. I'll see if it's worth keeping in the long term. My question is if I need to purchase Delta airfare with this card in order to get the free checked bag? Or I get the benefit of a free checked bag simply having the card? Do I just show the card during check-in to get the bag fee waived? I'm assuming both the personal and business versions of this card offer zone 1 boarding, which means I'm lumped with the J and PY fares even if I just have a Y fare right?

Any other benefits that I'm missing from either of these two cards?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I get the benefit of a free checked bag simply having the card?
You need to give Amex your SkyMiles number so they can attach the bag benefit to your SkyMiles number. You need to be accruing SkyMiles on eligible Delta itineraries. No, you don't need to purchase that travel with the Delta Amex card.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I'm just trying to learn and understand how Delta's FFP work so please bear with me. As a non-US resident, I'm assuming that I don't have any spending requirements/MQD for gain status right? The only thing that I need to do is to fly enough in a calendar year to go from one level to another?

I know AMEX is currently having a promotion for their Delta cards. I'm interested in getting the Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX (Personal/Business) for the free bag and priority boarding. I have no intention of putting any spending on that card other than to get the welcome bonus. I'll see if it's worth keeping in the long term. My question is if I need to purchase Delta airfare with this card in order to get the free checked bag? Or I get the benefit of a free checked bag simply having the card? Do I just show the card during check-in to get the bag fee waived? I'm assuming both the personal and business versions of this card offer zone 1 boarding, which means I'm lumped with the J and PY fares even if I just have a Y fare right?

Any other benefits that I'm missing from either of these two cards?

Thanks!
The value of the Gold Amex is the 1) the benefits of the card [bag, boarding, etc.] and 2) the sign up bonus. There's absolutely no reason to hold the card for more than one year. For 100$ more, you can get the Platinum Delta Amex, which has identical benefits to the gold along with a buy one get one free companion certificate and two mileage boost opportunities at 25k and 50k in spend.

Of course, the companion certificate is 48 states only. So, if you don't use it, by all means, let me know and I'll make good use of it!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You need to give Amex your SkyMiles number so they can attach the bag benefit to your SkyMiles number. You need to be accruing SkyMiles on eligible Delta itineraries. No, you don't need to purchase that travel with the Delta Amex card.
Right, but I can also credit SkyMiles earned on ST partners to earn status too right? Aw man, I just learned things the hard way with a recent flight on a ST alliance member. I flew VN and apparently the fare type that I was on didn't qualified for miles accrual on DL.

I'm assuming you mean give AMEX my SkyMiles account number when I signed up for the card right?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
The value of the Gold Amex is the 1) the benefits of the card [bag, boarding, etc.] and 2) the sign up bonus. There's absolutely no reason to hold the card for more than one year. For 100$ more, you can get the Platinum Delta Amex, which has identical benefits to the gold along with a buy one get one free companion certificate and two mileage boost opportunities at 25k and 50k in spend.

Of course, the companion certificate is 48 states only. So, if you don't use it, by all means, let me know and I'll make good use of it!
I think I read that the free companion certificate is hard to use right? I don't have to meet any MQD requirements so how would the Platinum really benefit me? I'm not sure $100 more per year is worth it for the Platinum. Am I missing something?

I think you mean Hawaii and Alaska are excluded? If so, that's disappointing.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Your boarding is with Main Cabin 1, which is after A. Pre-boards and active US military, B. First/Dleta One and DM, C. Families with children with strollers or child seats, D. Comfort +, E. Sky Priority. Main Cabin 1 also includes those with Silver Status. You are ahead of everyone who is not in those groups. You get 1 free checked bag for domestic US travel. For international travel you usually already have 1 free checked bag and the card does not give an additional free checkced bag, your second bag is at the normal second bag fee.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Zone 1, despite the rather misleading name, is not actually the first zone to board. It is preceded by:

•Pre-boarding of active duty military and those needing assistance or extra time
•Delta One or First Class and Diamond Medallions
•Premium Select (on planes that have that cabin)
•Families with car seats and strollers
•Comfort Plus
•Platinum Medallion, Gold Medallion, Sky Team Elite+
•Main Cabin 1 - this is Zone 1; it includes the Delta Gold, Plat, etc credit cards and various others

Then Zone 1 is followed by:
•Main Cabin 2
•Main Cabin 3
•Basic Economy

Some of those categories sometimes get combined, but Zone 1 definitely does not board with J passengers.

Edited to add: I see Paplover posted a couple of minutes ahead of me, but I’ll leave this here anyway.

Here’s the Delta page with the boarding priority details:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-priority.html
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Mar 18, 2019 at 8:17 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Paplover
Your boarding is with Main Cabin 1, which is after A. Pre-boards and active US military, B. First/Dleta One and DM, C. Families with children with strollers or child seats, D. Comfort +, E. Sky Priority. Main Cabin 1 also includes those with Silver Status. You are ahead of everyone who is not in those groups. You get 1 free checked bag for domestic US travel. For international travel you usually already have 1 free checked bag and the card does not give an additional free checkced bag, your second bag is at the normal second bag fee.
Yes to reiterate: Having a Gold DL AmEx card does not mean that you board with J unless you have a confirmed seat in J. With DL, zone 1 isn't anywhere close to the first zone to board.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paplover
Thank you. I thought it's just not the main cardholder that gets the free checked bag, but a companion's first free checked bag as well?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Zone 1, despite the rather misleading name, is not actually the first zone to board. It is preceded by:

•Pre-boarding of active duty military and those needing assistance or extra time
•Delta One or First Class and Diamond Medallions
•Premium Select (on planes that have that cabin)
•Families with car seats and strollers
•Comfort Plus
•Platinum Medallion, Gold Medallion, Sky Team Elite+
•Main Cabin 1 - this is Zone 1; it includes the Delta Gold, Plat, etc credit cards and various others

Then Zone 1 is followed by:
•Main Cabin 2
•Main Cabin 3
•Basic Economy

Some of those categories sometimes get combined, but Zone 1 definitely does not board with J passengers.

Edited to add: I see Paplover posted a couple of minutes ahead of me, but I’ll leave this here anyway.

Here’s the Delta page with the boarding priority details:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-priority.html
But if I do purchase a basic economy fare and have the Delta card, I will still get zone 1 boarding right?

I think you're right, but I haven't flown DL a lot lately. On my MSY-LAX flight, zone 2 and 3 were lumped together.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Thank you. I thought it's just not the main cardholder that gets the free checked bag, but a companion's first free checked bag as well?
A companion on the same reservation gets the free checked bag. Sometimes the agents will let your companions on same flights but on different reservations also get it.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

A companion on the same reservation gets the free checked bag. Sometimes the agents will let your companions on same flights but on different reservations also get it.
Unless I'm mistaken, the fine print says up to 9 fee waivers per reservation. Pretty good card to have if travelling with that many people.

Would you say the card is worth getting for at least the first year and keep it for these benefits if I haven't attained status or won't get it?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I think I read that the free companion certificate is hard to use right? I don't have to meet any MQD requirements so how would the Platinum really benefit me? I'm not sure $100 more per year is worth it for the Platinum. Am I missing something?
The Delta Platinum has two thresholds for triggering a '10,000 redeemable miles and 10,000 Medallion-qualifying miles' bonus at $25K spend and $50K spend. Some folks find those 10K MQMs to be useful for status qualification and others feel the opportunity cost is too high for putting that much spend through the card.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think I read that the free companion certificate is hard to use right? .
I've never had any trouble using it. It only works on certain fairs, so you need to book in advance, but like, a month or two in advance, not six months. If you think you can use this then it makes the Platinum DL Amex a much better value for the fee than the gold.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With DL, zone 1 isn't anywhere close to the first zone to board.
Is this:
1) Good marketing by DL/Amex
2) Very badly misleading and confusing to many many folks
3) Both

If a large crowd of active duty military are traveling that day and it is a medallion heavy route, zone 1 could literally be one of the last to board
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.