Wiki Posts
Search

Clawing Skymiles back from FlyingBlue?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:24 pm
gb6
Original Poster

Clawing Skymiles back from FlyingBlue?

I took a roundtrip in Feb on KLM with my DL# clearly printed on the boarding passes. The skymiles for the outbound leg were credited without issue, but the return leg was awarded to my FlyingBlue account. After 10 emails/calls with both sides, I'm still unclear if it's possible to have the FlyingBlue miles canceled and re-credited to DL. Anyone had luck with this?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
How did they get your FB number?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by gb6
I took a roundtrip in Feb on KLM with my DL# clearly printed on the boarding passes. The skymiles for the outbound leg were credited without issue, but the return leg was awarded to my FlyingBlue account. After 10 emails/calls with both sides, I'm still unclear if it's possible to have the FlyingBlue miles canceled and re-credited to DL. Anyone had luck with this?
I had this happen to me too. If you log into KLM, e.g. to select a seat or check in online, they just add your FB number automatically even though you've booked online with DL and clearly have the trip associated with your DL SM number. AF doesn't do this AFAIK. It's infuriating. I haven't acted on mine yet but the DM line told me I would have to get the FB miles canceled and then request credit from DL for SM miles. Let us know please if you're successful. This may actually be the thing that gets me out of the DM "game", it's just too infuriating.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I had this happen to me too. If you log into KLM, e.g. to select a seat or check in online, they just add your FB number automatically even though you've booked online with DL and clearly have the trip associated with your DL SM number. AF doesn't do this AFAIK. It's infuriating. I haven't acted on mine yet but the DM line told me I would have to get the FB miles canceled and then request credit from DL for SM miles. Let us know please if you're successful. This may actually be the thing that gets me out of the DM "game", it's just too infuriating.
Unclear as to whether you’re US based, but from everything I’ve read DL handles all KLM issues/complaints for US customers. Wonder why DL couldn’t just submit the request to cancel the FB miles and have Skymiles reinstated?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by gb6
Originally Posted by FSUnole03

Unclear as to whether you’re US based, but from everything I’ve read DL handles all KLM issues/complaints for US customers. Wonder why DL couldn’t just submit the request to cancel the FB miles and have Skymiles reinstated?
Yes I'm based in the US. DL cannot withdraw someone's FB miles. They can, they say, reinstate the SM once I get the FB miles withdrawn. Or so they say.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:25 am
gb6
Original Poster

I'm based in Europe but maintain Delta status. The flight was booked through KLM but my Delta # was added.

So far, KLM has told me multiple times by email/facebook/phone/twitter that removing the miles is "impossible"
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes I'm based in the US. DL cannot withdraw someone's FB miles. They can, they say, reinstate the SM once I get the FB miles withdrawn. Or so they say.
They can. Problem is FB reportedly stopped removing mileage credit due to this type case last year.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They can. Problem is FB reportedly stopped removing mileage credit due to this type case last year.
Ugh. This may be the cause for the end of my love affair with Delta... I'm flying DL less this year but carryover including 1/2 of a J TATL trip last year currently credited to FB may well have been the thing that got me over the DM line this year. If I don't... well I'll still make PM in my sleep but beyond that will push for higher status on AA with my flight choices (currently only Gold which means no automatic UG even when there is space).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Lots of luck to you. Hadn't had this on delta but happened to me on a OneWorld partner where they created an account for me instead of crediting my AA account. Took over six months going back and forth with the two airlines to fix.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Plat
had this issue on ow and was only able to have it fixed after submitting a dot complaint. aa's elite line said it was impossible but the dot complain team fixed it while they were on the phone with me.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:31 am

I had this exact situation happen as well. KLM refused repeatedly to help. I closed my Flying Blue account to prevent it from happening again, but I never got back the 6k +/- miles for an international first class flight. Submitted the closed account email and miles summary to Delta, to no avail.

Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ugh. This may be the cause for the end of my love affair with Delta... I'm flying DL less this year but carryover including 1/2 of a J TATL trip last year currently credited to FB may well have been the thing that got me over the DM line this year. If I don't... well I'll still make PM in my sleep but beyond that will push for higher status on AA with my flight choices (currently only Gold which means no automatic UG even when there is space).
Its not really Delta's fault. They can't do anything till KLM does their part. I think KLM is the one that is at fault. There's no reason their system should add a FF acct without asking if there's already one attached to ticket.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because you read wrong. DL handles all revenue bookings and customer service for KL/AF but FlyingBlue is separate.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

DL's ability to handle issues for KL is limited. IME, if you want something done, you need to call agents in the Netherlands.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
DL's ability to handle issues for KL is limited. IME, if you want something done, you need to call agents in the Netherlands.
To be fair, DL agents can handle most things other than FB if you call the "KLM" US phone #. Calling it directs you to DL agents specialized with AF/KLM instead of regular DL agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.