Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQS for sector not flown?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

MQS for sector not flown?

If I was to skip the last sector of a two sector flight bc the flight was delayed (crew issues) and it was faster to just rent a car and drive to my final destination, is there any chance I would still be able to get MQM or MQS for that portion of the trip? The delay isn't that bad (two hours) but it is already a three hour layover before the delay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM
No. It's clearly stated that miles are awarded only for flights flown.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by gruntermen
If I was to skip the last sector of a two sector flight bc the flight was delayed (crew issues) and it was faster to just rent a car and drive to my final destination, is there any chance I would still be able to get MQM or MQS for that portion of the trip? The delay isn't that bad (two hours) but it is already a three hour layover before the delay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If the flight was delayed, you can apply for Original Routing Credit (ORC) and ask for the MQMs be applied to your account. If you don’t get it on the first request you can escalate if need be. If you’re still at the terminal you can inform the gate agent you’ll be finding alternate transportation due to the delay (you’ll want to do this if this is not the last leg of your itinerary anyway), and while talking to the GA, you can also have him/her put a note in your record that you’ll be asking for ORC due to skipping the leg following the delay (and not just skipping the leg because of doing hidden-city ticketing).

Originally Posted by wxman22
No. It's clearly stated that miles are awarded only for flights flown.
No, you can get ORC for flights when you experience IROPS.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

If the flight was delayed, you can apply for Original Routing Credit (ORC) and ask for the MQMs be applied to your account. If you don’t get it on the first request you can escalate if need be. If you’re still at the terminal you can inform the gate agent you’ll be finding alternate transportation due to the delay (you’ll want to do this if this is not the last leg of your itinerary anyway), and while talking to the GA, you can also have him/her put a note in your record that you’ll be asking for ORC due to skipping the leg following the delay (and not just skipping the leg because of doing hidden-city ticketing).

No, you can get ORC for flights when you experience IROPS.
I didn't speak to the gate agent before I left but when I checked in at the sky club they told me to call the medallion line. Unfortunately I am not a medallion member so I don't know if this would get me any where. I guess I will try the regular customer service number in the morning. At the end of the day, I decided that getting home at a reasonable time was more important then the frequent flyer credit. My hungry (yet surprisingly obese) cat met me at the front door and advised me that I had made the right decision.
davetravels likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I didn't speak to the gate agent before I left but when I checked in at the sky club they told me to call the medallion line. Unfortunately I am not a medallion member so I don't know if this would get me any where. I guess I will try the regular customer service number in the morning. At the end of the day, I decided that getting home at a reasonable time was more important then the frequent flyer credit. My hungry (yet surprisingly obese) cat met me at the front door and advised me that I had made the right decision.
You shouldn't have an issue. Other option is Since flight was delayed over 90 minutes you could ask for a refund of that segment.

However the amount they calculate may be really small. It's generally, the percentage of total fare paid, with percentage equaling the percentage of total miles that the skipped flight equals. Ie your ticket is for flights totaling 2000 miles. The flight you skipped is 200 miles. The refund would be 10% of fare.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can ask for ORC, but then you can't get a refund for the segment that was delayed/cancelled. That's what I've been told, but YMMV.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can ask for ORC, but then you can't get a refund for the segment that was delayed/cancelled. That's what I've been told, but YMMV.
i think I would get back a grand total of 31 bucks. Given that I booked the flight using points from my Merrill+ card (25,000 points gets you any ticket up to $500) I have no idea if I would even see the refund.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
You should request ORC. You might get some sort of other customer service gesture as well since the delay was Delta's fault.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You shouldn't have an issue. Other option is Since flight was delayed over 90 minutes you could ask for a refund of that segment.

However the amount they calculate may be really small. It's generally, the percentage of total fare paid, with percentage equaling the percentage of total miles that the skipped flight equals. Ie your ticket is for flights totaling 2000 miles. The flight you skipped is 200 miles. The refund would be 10% of fare.
So I emailed Delta to ask for the credit and got the following response:

Thank you for your email to Delta Air Lines requesting mileage credit
for your travel from Minneapolis to Rochester.

As per Delta's policy, we will not be able to request for the mileage
credit for flight number DL 3713 as you have not flown that segment.

I appreciate your selection of Delta and will always welcome the
opportunity to be of service.

Any suggestions on how to escalate this or if it is even worth it?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So I emailed Delta to ask for the credit and got the following response:

Thank you for your email to Delta Air Lines requesting mileage credit
for your travel from Minneapolis to Rochester.

As per Delta's policy, we will not be able to request for the mileage
credit for flight number DL 3713 as you have not flown that segment.

I appreciate your selection of Delta and will always welcome the
opportunity to be of service.

Any suggestions on how to escalate this or if it is even worth it?
Did you ask for ORC?You need to use that specific term. Anything else will get the result you got.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Did you ask for ORC?You need to use that specific term. Anything else will get the result you got.
Do you think I should do anything other then just respond to the email they sent me, advise that I am seeking the ORC and that the only reason I did not fly that leg was b/c of an issue on their part.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Send a new email asking for ORC. It's not like they will give you detention for doing it again.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Do you think I should do anything other then just respond to the email they sent me, advise that I am seeking the ORC and that the only reason I did not fly that leg was b/c of an issue on their part.
Yes. Mention ORC, and fact flight was delayed over 2 hours and thus drove.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.