Upgrade chances: LAX-Hawaii routes...

Old Mar 17, 19, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Upgrade chances: LAX-Hawaii routes...

Will be flying LAX-OGG-LAX during 4th of July long weekend. Iím wondering the chance of being PM to be upgraded. I read some posts said this is mostly a leisure route, but does that also mean people want to pay for F? Specifically Iím flying out 7/3 evening, and come back 7/8 red-eye arriving lax 7/9 morning. Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:17 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Upgrade priority goes by status, and within status by fare class - with Amex Reserve as a tiebreaker. If you have a deeply-discounted L,U,T,X,V ticket there will be lots of Diamonds, Plats and their companions ahead of you.
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:38 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Upgrade priority goes by status, and within status by fare class - with Amex Reserve as a tiebreaker. If you have a deeply-discounted L,U,T,X,V ticket there will be lots of Diamonds, Plats and their companions ahead of you.
This is generally not my experience on HI routes and as the OP said, itís a leisure heavy route, but lots of Paid FC. When I flew to OGG around Memorial Day in 2017, there were only ~10-15 people on the UG list but FC was close to sold out weeks before the flight.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
It used to be one of the easiest upgrades even a few years ago. Now as a DM there's been no upgrades for me a few times. OGG does seem the toughest. HNL is probably the best bet due to more capacity.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
but does that also mean people want to pay for F?
Well not sure we "want to" but we do..
railmatt likes this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 9:12 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

FC often has honeymooners and others who pay because they feel that their Hawaiian holiday begins on the flight. I have never seen a flight to HI go out with empty FC seats.
Old Mar 17, 19, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are plenty of flights where the F premium is only in the $250 range or thereabouts. There are plenty of people willing to pay that. Back when F was priced at multiples of Y and the economy was in the dumps, it was a different story.

This is even more pronounced for people who are infrequent fliers and thus are prepared to pay for C+. When they look at the price differential, it may hit them that they do quite well in F.
TerryK, obscure2k and jdrtravel like this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Do you have RUC's and have you tried to apply them? Aside from the D1 transcon routes, this is one of the better uses for them if you can find inventory.
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:38 pm

I live in Honolulu and am a GM and have never been upgraded to First flying to or from LAX. Iíve had better luck flying through SFO and PDX but still only upgraded as one of the last ones at the gate.
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
This is generally not my experience on HI routes and as the OP said, itís a leisure heavy route, but lots of Paid FC. When I flew to OGG around Memorial Day in 2017, there were only ~10-15 people on the UG list but FC was close to sold out weeks before the flight.
This has been my general experience as well. FC mostly sells out (or has a small number of open seats) but UG lists are pretty small.
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
To KOA via SEA 3 years ago, I got upgraded at the window as a GM, and we went out with one empty next to me. From KOA to LAX, I wasnít anywhere near the top of the list.

To OGG via LAX in May as a PM with an RUC applied, Iím still waiting. From HNL to MSP with an RUC applied Iím watching the D1 seats disappear. Just 2 left on a 764.
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:03 pm

Yes, these route do have a high amount of paid F pax, and often there are no seats available for upgrades, but if there are seats available, flights to/from HI are very medallion light so you have a very good chance at an upgrade. Last year, I cleared at the GM window both directions SEA-HNL.
Old Mar 20, 19, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I just went to HNL from LAX in january - typically the off season. Up until a few days before the flight the seat map showed about half the F cabin as open. Day of departure the F cabin was full. Not sure how much were upgrades or buy-up as I used a RUC. If you want the F seat I would find a way to procure it prior to DOD
Old Mar 20, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
My only upgrade in recent history as a Silver was on the 763 flight LAX-HNL during President's week...with a companion too. No dice on 753 return flight.
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:09 pm

In my experience with SEA-OGG, F is close to sold out and few remaining seats are given to people who are willing to burn certificates.

But you are going to HI, do you really want to be on old 757, albeit in C+ or F?

DL is a great airline, but it's Hawaiian product sucks, both hard and soft. After taking HA and DL in all classes, I will never take DL to Hawaii again until it ups the game or there is a significant price difference (or high chance of upgrade, which is not the case as we know what n HI routes).

HA product is just so superior and you are going to the islands, so do yourself a favor. If paying for lie-flat HA F is out of question, pay for C+ equivalent and book 2-seater on either side of A330, it's a very nice ride.