Wiki Posts
Search

Throwaway leg question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Throwaway leg question

I'm based at LAX, and found a flight sale from SEA-LAX-AMS, AMS-LAX-SEA, and is half the cost of LAX-AMS-LAX, a significant savings. Now of course the cheapest and best timed flight LAX-SEA is on DL...My question is, I obviously only need a one way ticket, but since DL is the cheapest that would be a blatant throwaway leg by me. Should I just go ahead and buy a RT ticket LAX-SEA-LAX on DL, or just use another airline that timing would leave me sitting at SEA for four hours?

Last edited by bsagator; Aug 30, 2018 at 2:41 pm Reason: Substituted airport codes
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:09 pm

I may be in the minority, but when people do too much XXX YYY it gives me a headache and I get turned around on helping them out.

It's much easier to follow if you give real City Codes, and it's also easier to give more practical and tailored advice.

Just my two cents.
pvn, TerryK, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by bsagator
Should I just go ahead and buy a RT ticket LAX-XXX-LAX on DL, or just use another airline that timing would leave me sitting at XXX for four hours?
Yes, that would be your best choice.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
I may be in the minority, but when people do too much XXX YYY it gives me a headache and I get turned around on helping them out.

It's much easier to follow if you give real City Codes, and it's also easier to give more practical and tailored advice.

Just my two cents.
OK, I substituted alternate airport codes.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It isn't going to make a difference. Buy whatever you want LAX-SEA, whether it is DL or some other carrier and then no show for the final LAX-SEA segment.

If you do this regularly, DL may choose to do something, most likely to your SM account and status. But, on a one-off basis nothing will happen and the fact that you do or do not purchase a one-way LAX-SEA won't make any difference.

Thanks for inserting the proper city codes. Always leaves me wondering whether "XXX" and "YYY" are Area 51 and Gitmo.
bsagator likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
It isn't going to make a difference. Buy whatever you want LAX-SEA, whether it is DL or some other carrier and then no show for the final LAX-SEA segment.

If you do this regularly, DL may choose to do something, most likely to your SM account and status. But, on a one-off basis nothing will happen and the fact that you do or do not purchase a one-way LAX-SEA won't make any difference.

Thanks for inserting the proper city codes. Always leaves me wondering whether "XXX" and "YYY" are Area 51 and Gitmo.
It is my first time ever doing this with over 750k miles on DL. I do find it hard to believe that if I did in fact purchase a one way LAX-SEA that it would not make a difference versus a RT ticket. Especially when my home airport is LAX.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:17 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would buy the one-way LAX-SEA and not worry about it.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by kop84

Just my two cents.
Right, it's very difficult to keep it straight.

If people are worried about getting doxxed, there's no reason they couldn't change the city codes, but just use something real.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
If you have that many DL miles is there a reason you can't or won't just do a one way LAX-SEA flight using some of those miles?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bsagator
I'm based at LAX, and found a flight sale from SEA-LAX-AMS, AMS-LAX-SEA, and is half the cost of LAX-AMS-LAX, a significant savings. Now of course the cheapest and best timed flight LAX-SEA is on DL...My question is, I obviously only need a one way ticket, but since DL is the cheapest that would be a blatant throwaway leg by me. Should I just go ahead and buy a RT ticket LAX-SEA-LAX on DL, or just use another airline that timing would leave me sitting at SEA for four hours?
You don’t need to buy a r/t for LAX-SEA-LAX, just the one-way to catch the first SEA-LAX-AMS itinerary. You can just no show for the last LAX-SEA leg after arriving in AMS. I would recommend doing the positioning LAX-SEA leg on DL rather than another airline though as if your LAX-SEA leg is delayed DL will be more willing to work with you than if you have LAX-SEA on another airline. If you no show in SEA and you flew another airline, DL can tell you “not our fault” and make you buy a new ticket.
davetravels likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:47 pm

As always, keep in mind if anything happens to AMS-LAX (canceleld, delayed, etc) Delta may try to reroute you via a hub other than LAX.

In the case of throwing away the last leg - you had a business meeting/emergency/other event come up which required you to be in LAX instead of SEA, so you won't be flying your last leg. OR the meeting/event you were going back to SEA for was cancelled, so you are going to stay home in LAX. It would be [questionable/unfortunate/suspicious/poor planning] if this happened to you a lot when you're flying and I'd question your scheduling ability, but if it's an isolated thing, it's not big deal.

Once arriving in LAX I would even let them know you won't be flying LAX-SEA for XXX reason. That way they can take you off flight manifest/allow it to close on time/early instead of potentially waiting for a passenger who isn't going to show up. IMO that would be less suspicious than if you just no showed for the last leg.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have any insight into how the MQDs would be calculated/awarded/withheld on the throwaway leg? If the last segment of a complicated itinerary is not flown, would it just be the MQDs associated with that leg?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Does anyone have any insight into how the MQDs would be calculated/awarded/withheld on the throwaway leg? If the last segment of a complicated itinerary is not flown, would it just be the MQDs associated with that leg?
You get what you fly. I had a R/T MIA-ATL-SFO but had something come up in ATL on the way back so I bailed on the ATL-MIA leg and rebooked another day. I got 3/4 of the mileage legs credited.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JTE458
You get what you fly. I had a R/T MIA-ATL-SFO but had something come up in ATL on the way back so I bailed on the ATL-MIA leg and rebooked another day. I got 3/4 of the mileage legs credited.
Thanks - but are the MQDs calculated similarly or is there something unique to the fare that causes it be calculated in a different fashion?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
If anything, XXX should be AMS I think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.