Checking bike

Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Widgets

I understood flyerCo’s post as saying that if an item is special (being defined into a specific category on delta.com) and has an associated fee, then that fee applies to everyone regardless of dimensions. Examples of these are antlers, surfboards, and bicycles. If you have any of these, then it doesn’t matter if they weigh 20 lbs, or if you have Medallion status, Delta can still charge you according to delta.com. Excess weight/size fees are separate from the special item fee.
There are 2 separate and distinct issues. One is whether an item is special. Just because an item is listed under "special" does not mean it has a fee. It may have a fee. Actually, anything may have a fee.
But if the item has a special item fee, that fee does not get waived even for status.
FlyerCo's point about "special handling" is just bogus, probably a regurgitation of what Delta agents say. A bike bag that is small doesn't require special handling (it could even come out with normal baggage, depending on the shape others may not even know it is a bike bag). They just charge you a fee because they want to charge you a fee.

I'm pretty sure golf bags require special handling. Why don't they have a fee? That was my whole point. Some, like strollers and carseats, are required by law to be free. Golf clubs are not, as far as I know. Yet why are they free? Across all carriers (well, I don't know about Spirit).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
There are 2 separate and distinct issues. One is whether an item is special. Just because an item is listed under "special" does not mean it has a fee. It may have a fee. Actually, anything may have a fee.
But if the item has a special item fee, that fee does not get waived even for status.
FlyerCo's point about "special handling" is just bogus, probably a regurgitation of what Delta agents say. A bike bag that is small doesn't require special handling (it could even come out with normal baggage, depending on the shape others may not even know it is a bike bag). They just charge you a fee because they want to charge you a fee.

I'm pretty sure golf bags require special handling. Why don't they have a fee? That was my whole point. Some, like strollers and carseats, are required by law to be free. Golf clubs are not, as far as I know. Yet why are they free? Across all carriers (well, I don't know about Spirit).
The reason for charging fees is different from discussing when fees can be applied in accordance with airlines’ policies. Airlines are for-profit businesses. I think If they were incurring higher costs from damaging hardsided golf bags and could charge a fee for handling them without losing business, they probably would. Golfing and skiing are common sports with baggage, so if one airline charged a fee, people would move elsewhere. But niche sporting equipment like bicycles and surfboards are much rarer, so I don’t think an airline would lose as much business in this area. I think any discussion about the reasons for bag fees will eventually end with “because people are willing to pay.” Bag fees came around more when fuel became expensive, but they didn’t go away when fuel became cheap again.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos

This has zero to do with anything I posted and your reply. Widgets already explained it in their post.

The reason for charging fees is different from discussing when fees can be applied in accordance with airlines’ policies
All I said is if an item has a special fee, it's due, and that Oversize/overweight fees are entirely separate. You then replied with a comment about golf clubs not having one, that had zero to do with my post. If you want to question the fees fine, question them. However that's not what your post was about. Just because you feel it should or shouldn't have a fee doesn't matter. DL is the one that decided there should be extra costs associated with said item. Again, this has zero to do with my post.

Finally, it coming out or not on the regular belt has zero correlation to if it costs DL more to handle it.
Widgets likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This has zero to do with anything ...

Finally, it coming out or not on the regular belt has zero correlation to if it costs DL more to handle it.
And you prove you do not understand your point.
Why does it matter how much it costs Delta to handle it? I thought you said it does not matter (the cost to Delta) as to whether or not fees are charged?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:33 am

So....to sum up....Bike 50lb and 62In = $150, Bike up to 70lb and 115in = $150.
Over 70lb up to 100lb = Overweight fee + $150. Over 115in = Oversize fee +$150, You could be charged Overweight/Oversized and the $150 base fee.
Any questions? This is how it's "supposed" to work. YMMV whether or not you get charged anything.
Widgets likes this.

Last edited by OHDL1; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The special item fee always applies to an item. It's charged for the special handling requirements of the item.
According to several people in this thread, it certainly does not always get applied. Perhaps it should be, but it clearly is a grey area, at least in practice. My point was about why this is the case. I suggested that the written policy is confusing, especially when the first rule listed is that no overweight/oversize fees are charged if the item is not over standard limits. I could easily imagine a check-in agent getting to that and, being busy, not reading any further and just not charging anything.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
According to several people in this thread, it certainly does not always get applied. Perhaps it should be, but it clearly is a grey area, at least in practice. My point was about why this is the case. I suggested that the written policy is confusing, especially when the first rule listed is that no overweight/oversize fees are charged if the item is not over standard limits. I could easily imagine a check-in agent getting to that and, being busy, not reading any further and just not charging anything.
I never said agents don't waive the fees. In fact in a reply I even state that they do. However doesn't change the fact the fee applies. Even Widgets has said this. The fact an agent waives a bag fee for a passenger doesn't change the fact the fee applied. If it didn't apply, there'd be no need to waive it

Regarding bike oversize/weight it says those fees don't apply if when folded they don't exceed. The policy section isn't confusing if you read It as a whole. It says nothing about the special item fee not applying. If it wasn't there, agents would be charging oversize fees if the bicycle exceeded size limits based on size when unfolded.

Let's try this once more. If an item has a special item fee it always applies. (Agents can of course waive it like any fee, but doesn't change the fact the fee applies) Overweight/size fees are separate fees. For bicycles, if it exceeds size/weight limits when unfolded, but not when folded, no overweight/ size fee applies. The special item fee always applies, but may be waived.

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 17, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:37 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Who is to stop me from saying it's not a bike, if the agent checks then I just pay the fee, and if they don't then obviously if it was damaged, I wouldn't have a right to a claim. I can't stand all this stupid legality and rules. I understand airlines need to make money and I don't blame them but I find it quite pesky.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Who is to stop me from saying it's not a bike, if the agent checks then I just pay the fee, and if they don't then obviously if it was damaged, I wouldn't have a right to a claim. I can't stand all this stupid legality and rules. I understand airlines need to make money and I don't blame them but I find it quite pesky.
If it's boxed up, no one. The fact the fee applies doesnt mean there isn't ways to get away not paying said fee.

I 100% agree on the last part of your statement. I find the fees quite pesky.

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 17, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by jackvogt
In this case there is not much risk. However, I was told a story from an agent with the Office of the Inspector General (I understand this is not a similar scenario, but wanted to share the story).

There was a guy who found a generator next to a dumpster while on an assignment. He wanted to take it home, so he boxed it up and brought it to the airport to check on his flight home. The first agent asked him what it was, he said a generator. Agent asked if it was gas, it was. Agent stated it cannot fly, needs to go ground.

Guy proceeds to take it out to curbside check. Agent asks him what it was, he stated computer parts, and it gets checked.

As the box is going up the conveyor into the plane, it tips and begins spilling gasoline. It is caught, he is taken off plane, police refer case to OIG.

The agent pondered whether or not to prosecute, but then thought of all the innocent people on the flight, and that he blatantly lied in order circumvent federal laws. He was convicted, fined, and spent 2 years in jail.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
Okay, I'm late to this thread but I work in the bicycle industry and fly with a bike almost on a monthly basis.

First, do NOT get a hard case. They're bulky, heavy generally just a pain in the .... At this point, I have a Thule hardcase (which I haven't used in years), an EVOC bike travel bag, and my favorite, a Pika Patchworks bag.

https://www.pikapackworks.com/

In general, I'm almost never charged but always open up with "it's tradeshow equipment" and if pressed, say it's bike parts. With the Pika, you do have to disassemble about as much as the others but you pull the case tight around the bike. I have yet to have damage in multiple TATL and TPAC flights. I use it again on Friday when I head to TPE and then in a few weeks on my way to Monterey. Because of it's size and low weight along with the fact that it looks nothing like a traditional bike case, I'm almost never even questioned. My current bike has Shimano Di2 so there is a battery in the seatpost which I do generally remove and carry on.

Just my $0.02 as a DM who flies with a bike on a regular basis.
jdrtravel and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:38 am

Updated Policy

For tickets purchased on or after 17 July 2019, sporting equipment bags/items are treated like normal bags, except they get max dimensions of 115 instead of 62 linear inches. Normal oversized/overweight fees apply as a normal bag if exceeding the new standard limits.

https://news.delta.com/checked-sport...fly-less-delta

Delta customers traveling with surfboards, bicycles, golf clubs, scuba gear and other large-sized sporting equipment will now be allowed to check them as part of their standard baggage allowance.

The airline is eliminating the $150 specialty sports bag fee previously charged for these items, effective for travel worldwide on tickets purchased beginning July 17, 2019. Customers will instead pay a first, second or third checked bag fee according to the fare rules associated with their booking and/or SkyMiles Medallion status.

Complete checked baggage fee detail, including the new sporting equipment fees, can be found at Delta.com. Due to space limitations, acceptance and charges may vary for itineraries on a Delta Connection carrier.
SNAGuy and altabello like this.

Last edited by Widgets; Jul 17, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
No surprise here... AA made this move in May, I suspect after a lot of customer feedback, to join Alaska and I believe it is only a matter of time before United will go this way too now that DL has.

Despite the comments above that suggest people traveling with bikes is a rare, almost freakishly rare occurrence, there has been a huge growth in the number of mountain bikers who want to bring their bikes with them when traveling. I'm one of them, as are my kids. I've been carting our bikes around for 5 years, enabling me to ride my customized bike when on vacation with my family. We're not talking about the bike you had as a kid, these are $5k to $10k bikes built for specific riders and specific styles of riding. There is no way someone with one of these bikes is going to be comfortable renting a bike. Go to a ski area like Big Bear in the summer months and in the morning when people are unloading their bikes you will see a couple million dollars in bikes being pushed around in the parking lot.

As for the fee, I wrote to AA and DL and complained every time I have paid it, point to Alaska's policy. I also pointed out that my soft bag is at most 50 pounds, has large wheels on one end and a handle on the other that make it no harder to move than a large suitcase. The fee seemed silly to me at best, and worst a penalty to people who are trying to live healthy lifestyles.

For those looking to take advantage of this, prepare for long waits for several months as the DL staff learn the new rules, and be prepared with the language from the website. AA did no training and if they sent out a note to agents then few of the agents read it. I did a lot of training in May when my son and I went to a few weekend rides in southern California.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by stephem
For those looking to take advantage of this, prepare for long waits for several months as the DL staff learn the new rules, and be prepared with the language from the website. AA did no training and if they sent out a note to agents then few of the agents read it. I did a lot of training in May when my son and I went to a few weekend rides in southern California.
SNAPP should automatically calculate fees, but we shall see :/
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:58 pm

For tickets purchased on or after 17 July 2019, sporting equipment bags/items are treated like normal bags, except they get max dimensions of 115 instead of 62 linear inches. Normal oversized/overweight fees apply as a normal bag if exceeding the new standard limits.

https://news.delta.com/checked-sport...fly-less-delta

so why can't i have "luggage" that is 115 inches? as long as it isn't overweight?
altabello likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.