Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LaGuardia taxi pickup moved to Marine Air Terminal (?)

LaGuardia taxi pickup moved to Marine Air Terminal (?)

Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The Port Authority had a survey a couple of years ago on how originating passengers arrived at LGA. Public transport was a fairly small fraction, actually.
I think the more interesting number is rental cars, which really is a small fraction at just 2.6%, or less than 1/6 the number who arrive by public transit.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:27 am

The only thing that works well in lga now is the Uber pickup on the parking garage at B. Id suggest taking the bus from C/D and meeting your party at the B garage.

Q70 bus is a good option if heading to midtown without too much luggage
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:00 am

Arriving late Saturday night last week at Terminal D Uber directed me to go up to a door number on the departure level. Did so and the Uber was parked by the kerb when we got there.
hortkie likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
and by fairly small fraction, you mean nearly a 4 way tie between bus, taxi, black car, and uber? I wouldn't call 18% a small fraction.
What's the bigger fraction? About 1/5th of travelers arriving by public transport, or the 4/5ths of people NOT arriving by public transport?

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 27, 2019 at 5:37 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What's the bigger fraction? About 1/5th of travelers arriving by public transport, or the 4/5ths of people NOT arriving by public transport? It's not too late for a redo of the 3rd and 4th grade math curricula.
Really? An intelligence insult as a moderator?

Public transportation to/from most airports are low, even those with efficient rail service connections. About 20% for LGA, with at least one connection (for most) on public transport is generally considered as a high %.
mayhem and CPMaverick like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM
I was curious to compare, so here are the mode splits reported for LGA, JFK and EWR by the Port Authority (all surveys from May to mid-June 2016). I also compared the Local Passenger Origin data:

No data on walking. As a commuter who travels light, I've walked to/from LGA on the rare occasion (usually when the traffic loop is utterly hopeless). There are also a few hotels across the Grand Central within walking distance. However, on my latest attempt to walk a couple of weeks ago, I was stopped by a friendly PANYNJ police officer at the 102nd Street bridge saying there is no pedestrian walkway. I then tried the pedestrian overpass over the Grand Central to the Flushing Bay Promenade, but that has signs posted "No Pedestrian Access to LGA" and I didn't go further. So, I'm not sure if it is currently possible to walk to LGA (particularly C/D).

If it can be done, Terminal D to Mets-Willets Point (7) is only a 1.5 miles, with nearly a mile of that on the Flushing Bay Promenade along the water. That would be a pleasant walk if the weather was nice (and baggage light). At the start of LGA construction when traffic loop was a long-term parking lot, I walked the 2.4 miles from Terminal B to Astoria Blvd (N-W) at night in the snow. That wasn't so pleasant.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
and by fairly small fraction, you mean nearly a 4 way tie between bus, taxi, black car, and uber? I wouldn't call 18% a small fraction.

I know hating LGA is what the cool kids do, but as somebody who in the last month has used JFK, LGA, and EWR x2 all by public transit... Give me LGA any day. Most efficient to get to time wise and most cost effective. If you don't feel like taking the bus, Uber > taxi at LGA since the Uber staging/meeting area is in the parking structure so it's a short walk away.
All experiences are anecdotal, so what works for you does not work for me. I drive. It's JFK for me any day. I do really like LGA. It's way closer and avoids the deep parts of the Van Wyck, but even with traffic, it's less time to park and Airtrain at JFK than negotiate the terminals at LGA.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajggiant
.......No data on walking. As a commuter who travels light, I've walked to/from LGA on the rare occasion............
Walk to/from LGA? I am absolutely impressed. ^
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bennos
I think the more interesting number is rental cars, which really is a small fraction at just 2.6%, or less than 1/6 the number who arrive by public transit.
Who wants to rent, insure, drive and pay to park a rental car in NYC? I sure hope those 2.6% were driving to/from the Hamptons.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Public transportation is the answer. Q70SBS to E train to Manhattan 19 minutes and $2.75 (or effective free with valid unlimited MetroCard).
Agree. If you don't have much luggage this is definitely the way to go.
davetravels likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Agree. If you don't have much luggage this is definitely the way to go.
Otherwise, Uber is my first choice. If you're local, parking shuttles have fairly good service. You used to be able to easily walk between terminals and across the highway, but traffic patterns have been efffed up.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Who wants to rent, insure, drive and pay to park a rental car in NYC? I sure hope those 2.6% were driving to/from the Hamptons.
Nassau and Suffolk counties (ie: the rest of "Long Island") collectively have about 3M in population, compared to 8M for NYC as a whole. LGA (and JFK) are the major airports for those doing business or visiting relatives there, as ISP is limited in its utility. And of course the northern suburbs into southwestern Connecticut also use LGA and JFK, not to mention eastern Queens. For all of these places I would have guessed that rental car is the primary mode of transportation for visitors, though taxi or car service are plausible as well.

I suspect relatively few people fly into LGA to go to the Hamptons.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by godfreyb
Arriving late Saturday night last week at Terminal D Uber directed me to go up to a door number on the departure level. Did so and the Uber was parked by the kerb when we got there.
Uber and Lyft have been doing this for a while. Last Thursday at about 6PM, I met my lyft at Terminal C departure level door 16 (which is the last door curb accessible on that level). I have not as yet come in at D but my next arrival is late, midnight next Monday and if it is into D, I would expect to use door 1 in accordance with the quoted post.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godfreyb
About a month ago, I proactively selected an upper level pickup at Terminal D in the late evening knowing it would be much quieter. Of course the driver didn't even look at the pickup info on his end and went downstairs. There is almost no way for a car to get from upstairs to downstairs without driving around the entire airport, so I had to schlep myself and my luggage back inside and downstairs and across all the arrivals area scrum.

Uber drivers not reading the pickup locations properly is a VERY common occurrence IME and one reason I rarely use the service here.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
...I proactively selected an upper level pickup at Terminal D in the late evening knowing it would be much quieter. :
Which door number do you give them at D? I use Door 16 at C departures and am certain to call right away and speak to the driver before he gets to the terminal. I am not sure of which door would be the best at D.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.