Community
Wiki Posts
Search

425,000 miles or $10295.00 ATL-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You and the OP really should take a moment with LBJ's remarks in post #7 . Carriers are practicing legal price discrimination to separate business travelers and their firm's money - as was the case thirty years before the JVs and consolidation you bemoan.

I completely understand price discrimination. I also understand competitive forces that - in a healthy market - incentivize carriers to undercut egregious price discrimination to capture market share. This is especially true with price discrimination that does not inherently incur a cost (for example, close-in bookings require spare inventory that may spoil which is a real cost). Saturday-night stay requirements are examples of "no cost" price discrimination that are easily undercut in competitive markets (and these are the first types of fares undercut by competition - whether legacy or LCC - when entering markets). Only in markets with small and tight oligopolies can tacit price collusion occur effectively. Price discrimination will still occur, but "no cost" discrimination techniques tend to either go away completely or reach equilibrium at a much lower point.

Even if one is willing to accept a connection, ATL-LHR Economy pricing without a Saturday night stay generally follows a tight band around 3-3.5K - even when booking 90+ days in advance. That is with a connection (which should eliminate the "fortress-hub" effect on competition).

To be clear, tacit collusion is legal. But it is only sustainable in markets with tight oligopolies.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Yah, making money on biz travelers is nothing new, but the continued devaluation of skypesos is still annoying. The new normal is half a million miles per ticket roundtrip in D1, which is insane. What can we do?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Transatlantic J redemptions at a reasonable rate on DL are virtually impossible. But they do occasionally have unexpected drops in J cash fares. But as others have noted, not staying over a Saturday screws the pooch.

Also depends on destination. You can go to BRU this summer for around $2600 in J the last time I checked, for instance.

I've made Gold the past couple of years largely based on some paid J to Europe trips, but I'm having to adjust to forgetting about status, because I can't get those deals this year out of ATL. (And the reason I have to do so much paid J transatlantic is because I can't get any value out of award redemptions. Better to earn miles than spend them in such cases.)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:03 pm

Interestingly enough I was looking at JFK->LHR for a 2 day business trip last week and thought the sky mile redemption was super high!

i went back to my history to recall what I spent and in Feb of last year was able to redeem a JFK->LHR RT in D1 for 275k. (Same in and out 2 day weekday trip)

Without question has almost doubled!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcnj
Interestingly enough I was looking at JFK->LHR for a 2 day business trip last week and thought the sky mile redemption was super high!

i went back to my history to recall what I spent and in Feb of last year was able to redeem a JFK->LHR RT in D1 for 275k. (Same in and out 2 day weekday trip)

Without question has almost doubled!
As has been covered in other threads, there are multiple award levels with the cheapest level requiring a 90-day advance purchase. Doing a one-off award search doesn't really tell you anything at all. VS metal awards are 86K and DL low-level are 105K. Assuming OP is going in Nov, you can find awards from 172K - 210K RT with some flexibility (depending on mix of VS/DL metal). 425K would be a mix of CSV1050 and CSY3200 awards. If you simply click on the fare rules, you can see exactly which flight is charged which level and adjust dates according.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 15, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ethernal

Delta won't change their prices. It's Saturday night stay or bust on their D1 fares to LHR (and most of Europe).
Mine included 2 Saturday night stays. Wasn’t aware. Not a huge international traveler.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You and the OP really should take a moment with LBJ's remarks in post #7 . Carriers are practicing legal price discrimination to separate business travelers and their firm's money - as was the case thirty years before the JVs and consolidation you bemoan.
And this is kosher to you?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RGGold
Thanks..No other choice...
Why is there no other choice?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Thanks..No other choice...
Unless this is business travel and your company only allows use of Delta, this statement simply isn't true. You have a choice.

Your question asked in the thread title prompts me to answer with "Neither"!
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
That's ~$0.024/mile (2.4 cents per mile) in redemption value. Actually not a bad value per FT standards.
at 2.4 hard to call it a Sky Peso!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond BA Life Gold AA Emerald HH DIamond MAR
My initial post stimulated many and interesting comments. The cruxt of the issue is that DL are gouging price and miles no matter your status! Sad testament to your status
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My initial post stimulated many and interesting comments. The cruxt of the issue is that DL are gouging price and miles no matter your status! Sad testament to your status
The only sad thing about this is that you don't think you have any options. If Delta thinks they can sell $10K tickets to suckers and/or Diamonds using OPM, why should they offer a deal?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
DL or any other carrier does not care about your "status". They never have and never will. It is all about $$$ and that it what should be about. I am at almost 10MM butt in miles (mainly on DL). These airlines care about what you do TODAY, not yesterday.

Last edited by kettle1; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:02 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:00 am

Your "status" with the airlines doesn't matter when it comes to pricing, it never has and it never will. Your status gets you additional benefits surrounding your travel, not discounts on a specific flights. For pricing, all they really do is split their fares into a business fare (M/F travel, no saturday stays, etc) or a tourist fare (Saturday stays, off-peak travel, etc). They increase the price on what they expect is business travel because businesses have little choice; they need to take the trip and will pay the fare regardless if all the other competitors come in at a similar amount. They don't have astronomical prices on tourists, because the tourist flyer has the option to not take the trip, so their fares need to be cheap enough for them to go in the first place. Charging business flyers more is how the airlines cover their costs and make their profit. Do people here think filling a cabin of $800 Y TATL fares would cover the operating costs of a flight, let alone all the other overhead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.