425,000 miles or $10295.00 ATL-LHR

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond BA Life Gold AA Emerald HH DIamond MAR
425,000 miles or $10295.00 ATL-LHR

Can anybody throw a light on the insanity of Delta One pricing in particular, to Europe.The above example is for a flight that has only one seat taken and is 8 months out!!
I have seen prices as high as 750,000 miles and $13,750 to ATL-MXP (Milan Malpensa)
I'm a multi year Diamond and travel worldwide so I know quite a bit about pricing, but this year Delta are simply off the charts !!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RGGold
Can anybody throw a light on the insanity of Delta One pricing in particular, to Europe.The above example is for a flight that has only one seat taken and is 8 months out!!
I have seen prices as high as 750,000 miles and $13,750 to ATL-MXP (Milan Malpensa)
I'm a multi year Diamond and travel worldwide so I know quite a bit about pricing, but this year Delta are simply off the charts !!
While I realize that you want to keep your diamond status, DL miles aren't completely worthless, and $10k is far more than I would pay. As such, look into other airlines.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks..No other choice...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You don't give your airport of origin but there are certainly lower D1 fares (paid or miles) to London depending on adv purchase and length of stay.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Departure gateway ATL and yes, Virgin is half the price so go figure what DL are tryin on!!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks..No other choice...
In post 5, you admitted that VS is half the price. Furthermore, you can probably do even better if you search a bit.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what are the dates? The cheapest Z fares (ZN1XU6D4) are $3750 roundtrip have a 60-day advance purchase and Saturday night stay requirement (from point of arrival) and outbound must be Mon-Wed and return Tue-Thu. There are some even cheaper seasonal fares around Easter (around $2900 roundtrip) and latter part of summer. More than likely, you are not meeting min-stay or day of departure requirements (or some combination thereof). Load factor is irrelevant if you don't meet the basic fare requirements for the cheaper I and Z fares.

A trip from Nov 23 - 27 will be $9700 D fare, but simply moving departure back a day to 22nd will meet Sat night stay requirement and yield an I and Z fare for $4300.
glennhaak likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 15, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
OP I'm with you. D1 pricing has been going up and up for the past few years. I blame the TATL JVs across all airlines and the reduction in % of D1 seats / total seats, a trend that is only getting worse.

To those who say "be flexible and look at other airlines"; yes but; you have to be WAY more flexible than you used to in terms of dates, and each airline has its pros and cons, and the reason why one comes to DL is because one likes DL for whatever reason. E.g., I rarely fly VS on an overnight flight TATL since their beds need to be "made" and that takes out precious sleep time.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Unless you’re in a rush to purchase I’d wait.

Needed to be in CDG for work then on to BCN for a cruise and D1 flights were in the $8000 range (out of TPA and liking starting 6 months out) Was finally able to snag one TPA-ATL-CDG-BCN-JFK-TPA for about $3600 ~80 days out.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by mayhem
OP I'm with you. D1 pricing has been going up and up for the past few years. I blame the TATL JVs across all airlines and the reduction in % of D1 seats / total seats, a trend that is only getting worse.
This. There are really only three carriers TATL these days - Delta + KLM/AF/Italia + VA, AA + British Airways, and United + Lufthansa.

Pricing on most of these routes is completely detached from cost to serve.
ATL-LHR is a great example of this. The fact that there are ridiculous and aligned fare rules that result in outrageous pricing on all nonstops - despite three different operating carriers (BA, VA, DL) - shows both direct (DL + VA) and tacit (DL/VA and BA) collusion. $3500 for an economy flight booked months in advance for a short TATL is a joke.

It's very disappointing that regulators in both the EU and the US allowed these ridiculous joint ventures - especially in light of US carrier consolidation over the past fifteen years. Presumably the EU is trying to save their flag carriers, and the US just doesn't care.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by apodo77
Unless you’re in a rush to purchase I’d wait.

Needed to be in CDG for work then on to BCN for a cruise and D1 flights were in the $8000 range (out of TPA and liking starting 6 months out) Was finally able to snag one TPA-ATL-CDG-BCN-JFK-TPA for about $3600 ~80 days out.

Delta won't change their prices. It's Saturday night stay or bust on their D1 fares to LHR (and most of Europe).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
That's ~$0.024/mile (2.4 cents per mile) in redemption value. Actually not a bad value per FT standards.
ijgordon, rogo and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:26 pm

Delta are simply off the charts !!
Insert joke about getting rid of award charts here
Pittie Pup and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:48 pm

If you're DM then I just buy the ticket with miles, and watch my options weekly and when the price drops or I find a better solution/reouting, redeposit and take the better itinerary. Huge perk to being PM+
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal
This. There are really only three carriers TATL these days - Delta + KLM/AF/Italia + VA, AA + British Airways, and United + Lufthansa.

Pricing on most of these routes is completely detached from cost to serve.
ATL-LHR is a great example of this. The fact that there are ridiculous and aligned fare rules that result in outrageous pricing on all nonstops - despite three different operating carriers (BA, VA, DL) - shows both direct (DL + VA) and tacit (DL/VA and BA) collusion. $3500 for an economy flight booked months in advance for a short TATL is a joke.

It's very disappointing that regulators in both the EU and the US allowed these ridiculous joint ventures - especially in light of US carrier consolidation over the past fifteen years. Presumably the EU is trying to save their flag carriers, and the US just doesn't care.
You and the OP really should take a moment with LBJ's remarks in post #7 . Carriers are practicing legal price discrimination to separate business travelers and their firm's money - as was the case thirty years before the JVs and consolidation you bemoan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.