Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight Attendant Uniforms [Consolidated Discussion 2019-2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Flight Attendant Uniforms [Consolidated Discussion 2019-2020]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit

Would it be hard to believe it’s all real?
Honestly, yes.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Honestly, yes.
I’m with you. I believe some people are getting sick. It’s even possible that some have a skin condition that’s worsened by some types of material. However, I don’t believe a lands end uniform is causing people to get sick that otherwise were not sickened by other uniforms.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troppy
I’m with you. I believe some people are getting sick. It’s even possible that some have a skin condition that’s worsened by some types of material. However, I don’t believe a lands end uniform is causing people to get sick that otherwise were not sickened by other uniforms.
Just so I am not misinterpreted, my take is two-fold:

1) It is possible, even probable, that some of the complainants aren’t actually allergic or sensitive to the uniforms but are either having a psychosomatic reaction or, because the AA thing is front of mind, are attributing symptoms caused by something else to the uniforms.

2) It is possible, even probable, that some of the complainants have a genuine allergy to something in the uniforms. What I struggle with, though, is what to do about it as I doubt it possible to find uniform materials that are 100% hypoallergenic. It is my understanding that there are some (though a tiny number) that may have an allergy even to unbleached, undyed cotton.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:56 pm

Insulting

Everyone is entitled to their opinions .I ask that you educate yourself before speaking. There is many effected not just skin rashes. In 27 years 4 uniforms never a reaction. Its not just flight attendants gate agents also. This is real and devastating. I have welts and other physical symptoms to prove it. It effects our health everyday.
lupine, ACCDraw and ConnieDee like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Gratitude
Everyone is entitled to their opinions .I ask that you educate yourself before speaking. There is many effected not just skin rashes. In 27 years 4 uniforms never a reaction. Its not just flight attendants gate agents also. This is real and devastating. I have welts and other physical symptoms to prove it. It effects our health everyday.

Thanks for your honesty (assuming you are a DL employee). I'm so sorry that this is happening. Thanks for your service--many of us really appreciate all that you do.

It seems like a fairly straight forward solution would be to produce a line of the same uniforms with an alternative textile, and let employees have a choice. Maybe even three options?
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:14 pm

Thank you for your conern

1) It is possible, even probable, that some of the complainants aren’t actually allergic or sensitive to the uniforms but are either having a psychosomatic reaction or, because the AA thing is front of mind, are attributing symptoms caused by something else to the uniforms.

2) It is possible, even probable, that some of the complainants have a genuine allergy to something in the uniforms. What I struggle with, though, is what to do about it as I doubt it possible to find uniform materials that are 100% hypoallergenic. It is my understanding that there are some (though a tiny number) that may have an allergy even to unbleached, undyed cotton.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:28 pm

Thank you for your concern

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Thanks for your honesty (assuming you are a DL employee). I'm so sorry that this is happening. Thanks for your service--many of us really appreciate all that you do.

It seems like a fairly straight forward solution would be to produce a line of the same uniforms with an alternative textile, and let employees have a choice. Maybe even three options?
I love my job i love my company. We are asking to be acknowledged and valued. We want nontoxic untreated uniforms so we can continue to fly in a safe environment and be healthy . I don't feel that is too much to ask. Nor should we have to beg It is a problem and needs to addressed. For us yes the solution seems obvious and obtainable.
yohanson, jdrtravel and altabello like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They are not. The contested AA uniforms were manufactured by Twin Hill. Delta's current uniforms are manufactured by Lands' End - to which AA has now turned.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...ast-track.html
"Land's End does not own or operate any manufacturing facilities and therefore depend upon independent third-party vendors for the manufacture of all merchandise." - 2018 annual report.

It's anyone's guess who Twin Hills used for manufacturing as well. They could very well use the same manufacturer for uniform components and not even know it...until Passport Plum dye is showing contact transfer on the FA's overnight.

"Our products are produced globally by independent manufacturers who are selected, monitored and coordinated by the Lands' End Global Sourcing team based in Dodgeville, Wisconsin and other third party buying agents. Our products are manufactured in approximately 30 countries and substantially all are imported from Asia and South America, depending on the nature of the product mix. Our top 10 vendors accounted for approximately 40% of our merchandise purchases in Fiscal 2017. In Fiscal 2017, we worked with approximately 200 vendors that manufactured substantially all of our products. We generally do not enter into long-term merchandise supply contracts. We continue to take advantage of opportunities to more efficiently source our products worldwide, consistent with our high standards of quality and value. Significant areas of non-product spend include transportation, information systems, marketing, packaging and catalog paper and print."
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

Gate agent here. I haven't talked to a single person in my hub that has had any sort of issue with the uniform, and we wear the same materials as flight attendants. Prior to the uniform launch, Delta published a plethora of internal reports detailing the dyes, etc. that make up the uniform...there are fewer dyes and preservatives in the new uniform than there were in the Richard Tyler (old) uniform. I totally sympathize with colleagues that are having an issue, but it seems like a limited issue to me...an issue that the IAM (union trying to organize DL flight attendants after several failed attempts) is attempting to capitalize on to achieve publicity. The company has offered several different alternative materials for each uniform piece to those experiencing any sort of allergic reactions, and isn't forcing employees to wear a uniform that gives them a rash or quit...seems like fake news based on my experience.

Edit: source of original article is from a fired AA flight attendant turned labor activist, so I'd take the rhetoric from the article with a grain of salt.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
"Land's End does not own or operate any manufacturing facilities and therefore depend upon independent third-party vendors for the manufacture of all merchandise." - 2018 annual report.

It's anyone's guess who Twin Hills used for manufacturing as well. They could very well use the same manufacturer for uniform components and not even know it...until Passport Plum dye is showing contact transfer on the FA's overnight.
Could they both use the same supplier of cloth, or of sewing? Sure. Do your remarks prove they do? Not in any way.

As for supply chain control, it's like a consumer saying 'I don't want any parts from India or China in my new xxx pickup.' Well, good luck with that. Medical device suppliers need component-traceable parts production. Very few people want to buy clothing priced like a pacemaker.

Until somebody wants to offer proof of medical issues (with FDA testing oversight?) it seems more likely to fall under psychosomatic causes or labor agitation. Remember the Coca Cola hysteria among Belgian school children in 1998?

However, a preliminary inquiry has suggested that the Coca-Cola alert may have been due to nothing more toxic than an outbreak of mass hysteria. In a letter to the Lancet this week, four members of Belgium's Health Council say that preliminary inquiries suggest last month's epidemic was a case of "mass sociogenic illness" (the more politically-correct term for mass hysteria).

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...llbeing.health
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
It seems every time there is a new uniform no matter the airline or if there is union representation you always have these kinds of complaints. There are definitely a FEW (keyword few) individuals who suffer from real allergies to certain fabrics but this just seems very fishy to me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:07 pm

Psychosomatic causes still don't explain hard evidence of dye transfer.
lupine likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Psychosomatic causes still don't explain hard evidence of dye transfer.
Few people get sick from dye transfer, as evidenced by the popularity of dyed clothing.
HDQDD and nancypants like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:52 pm

Delta Flight Attendants Sue For Uniform Rashes

Old May 24, 2019, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's on CNN this morning. I guess someone at CNN reads the AJC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.