Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight Attendant Uniforms [Consolidated Discussion 2019-2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

This is interesting. Some Delta flight attendants are claiming the new Delta uniforms have caused to them to get sick. Apparently, Delta authorized some flight attendants to wear an alternative uniform but now they are forcing flight attendants to wear the prescribed uniform or go through internal processes that could result in their re-deployment to a non-flying job within Delta or their separation from the airline.

“People are having nose bleeds, many many complain of runny noses, dripping constantly while working in the aisle. Some have lost their voices, and have vocal chord damage, bathtubs are stained from dye leaving her body, toilet seats, bedding bras and undershirts worn under uniform is purple. they have been prescribed emergency inhalers, folks have gone to the ER in anaphylactic shock. they have to take steroid pills, prescribed steroid cream. bloody arms and back from scratching their sores. Skin tags growing in multiple FA’s. Lymph nodes appearing in cancer survivors. Eyes so red they have pulled some off their trips accusing them of contagious illness. . Lost wages. Some are approved to wear the black, some are not. Some are being told they cannot wear the black and white now, after being approved. .Some are being denied OJI, some approved. Doctors notes mean nothing to Sedgwick, which is really Dl making the call…” — Delta flight attendant
Delta Grounds Flight Attendants Over Uniform Reactions

https://savvystews.com/2019/03/delta...orm-reactions/

Delta Air Lines introduced a new, eye-popping, purple uniform design in 2018 on the tail-end of a huge wardrobe malfunction at competitor American Airlines in which employees reported a myriad of health problems related to chemicals present in the fabrics used to construct the outfits. Eventually, American was forced to scrap the uniform and start over with a new supplier after a long period of denying the extent and severity of the company’s uniform situation.

Since the introduction, we’ve been learning of a growing number of Delta flight attendants that are experiencing reactions to the new Zac Posen designed pieces they were issued last year. As more crew-members have reported the problems ranging from skin reactions to difficulty breathing, Delta management is becoming increasingly less understanding or flexible.

In the beginning, some flight attendants were told they could switch to generic black business attire while the company developed a plan to address the situation but now Delta has informed many of these same employees that they either put on the purple or else. It seems to be rather selective and target older, senior flight attendants who are also the most highly paid at Delta.
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I think AA flight attendants had similar complaints back in 2017. I wonder if the uniforms are made by the same company
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They are not. The contested AA uniforms were manufactured by Twin Hill. Delta's current uniforms are manufactured by Lands' End - to which AA has now turned.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...ast-track.html
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I wonder how much is psychological response and/or union response to AA.
CPMaverick, syd999, HDQDD and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I wonder how much is psychological response and/or union response to AA.
That would be weird since there is no FA union with Delta.

Would it be so hard to believe that the dyes in the clothing were actually making people sick?
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit

Would it be so hard to believe that the dyes in the clothing were actually making people sick?
It is no harder to believe that some folks suffer from a psychomatic reaction than that they suffer from a true allergy to the dyes or materials. Not saying that some folks may not be allergic to the clothes, as clothing allergies do exist, but psychosomatic reactions exist too and my guess is that it is a combination of real and imagined reactions.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette

It is no harder to believe that some folks suffer from a psychomatic reaction than that they suffer from a true allergy to the dyes or materials. Not saying that some folks may not be allergic to the clothes, as clothing allergies do exist, but psychosomatic reactions exist too and my guess is that it is a combination of real and imagined reactions.
Would it be hard to believe it’s all real?
tvnwz and ConnieDee like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
If many start experiencing it and reporting it, there is probably some truth....not psychosomatic.
ConnieDee likes this.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The DL ground staff (above wing) wear clothing made with the same dyes? Purple. Have they had similar complaints or problems with the 6-9 month old uniform change? Are the complaints coming from former NW FA's that want a "problem" to go Union? :
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
The purple is what makes me sick. Very few people can pull off that color. Seems like the guys are sticking mostly to grey.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Originally Posted by kettle1
The DL ground staff (above wing) wear clothing made with the same dyes? Purple. Have they had similar complaints or problems with the 6-9 month old uniform change? Are the complaints coming from former NW FA's that want a "problem" to go Union? :
This is what I'm getting at. If there was many reports, across all jobs, then we likely an issue. However it seems to be a fairly small number and isolated to "flying" employees.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bitterproffit

However union wants there to be one. Plus former NW employees would like one. Causing trouble is one way to help make it happen.

I'm sure some people have a reaction, people can be allergic to anything. However, I won't think its a problem like AA till many DL employees, across all jobs report problems .
Widgets and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:55 am

Deleted

Last edited by bitterproffit; Mar 16, 2019 at 6:55 am Reason: not helpful
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
The purple is what makes me sick. Very few people can pull off that color. Seems like the guys are sticking mostly to grey.
that purple is so unflattering!!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
that purple is so unflattering!!
I disagree, however there was a whole other thread for that. Pun intended.
ConnieDee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.