Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Premium Select - comparable product on OneWorld?

Old Mar 14, 19, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, GOES

Though this might be best asked in the AA forum, I'm asking here first to see if anyone has firsthand comparison of a hard product on AA or OW partners that compares to DL's PS.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but AF PS is the same product as DL PS, right? I've flown PS on a DL A350 and was quite happy.

edit: I also realize I've flown in a "pod" style "PS" product... maybe that was AF? lol, it all runs together.
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EditingFX View Post
Though this might be best asked in the AA forum, I'm asking here first to see if anyone has first hand comparison of a hard product on AA or OW partners that compares to DL's PS.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but AF PS is the same product as DL PS, right? I've flown PS on a DL A350 and was quite happy.

edit: I also realize I've flown in a "pod" style "PS" product... maybe that was AF? lol, it all runs together.
Googling "Delta Premium Select" looks like a Premium economy class product.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html
That is below DL businesses class (2nd class) (aka Delta1 ?)

That is an better economy seat and at times improved meals, other items.
Real PE class is not the same as economy+, comfort plus and other buzz words for an regular economy/coach seat with just more leg room

OW airlines that have PE on some aircraftThe difference over regular economy class varies by airline/aircraft

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 14, 19 at 3:27 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Umm, yeah, not sure what you're trying to say there.

I have firsthand experience with DL PS.

Looking for those who might also have had the same PLUS have firsthand experience with a comparable OW product.
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For opinion on OW flights you would get more answers in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/
By clicking the red triangle you can ask a moderator to move the thread
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

... and they'd be the same % as likely to have flown SkyTeam, so I'm trying here first.
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:50 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Premium economy has been widespread outside the US for about 15 years and is a relatively standardised product across most airlines that offer it. Usually 19-20 inch wide seats and 37-38 inches pitch and slightly better food/amenities. It is distinct from products generically referred to as economy plus that just offer better legroom.

On any airline, including the Oneworkd ones, you’ll find it similar to Delta’s recently introduced PE product that it brands as Premium select. One airline where the PE is particularly good is Japan Airlines.
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:54 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Ok, I’ll bite.

I’ve flown BA’s premium economy product on the 777. Decent product. Good legroom. Soft product was fair.
This was about 8 years ago, so I don’t know if it’s changed much.

On DL, I mainly fly D1 long haul international and haven’t flown in another cabin long haul since 2011.

I would suggest looking at trip reports and reviews for OW premium economy flights. That way you can see the product and draw your own conclusions.
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by EditingFX View Post

Yes, AF is the pod style, though I think they may be changing that? Most of the products are relativley similar in that the seats are wider than coach and have more leg room, and usually have a foot or leg rest of some type. There are, of course, differences. I think your best best would be to pick an airline you are wondering about and search for a review. There are several websites dedicated to this type of thing. For example, when you google "american airlines premium economy review" you get https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/aa-...conomy-review/
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
DL seem to have done a good job with Premium Select branding, and persuading people that it is something different / better than regular Premium Economy. This is the second or third similar thread I’ve seen recently.
bgriff likes this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
DL seem to have done a good job with Premium Select branding, and persuading people that it is something different / better than regular Premium Economy. This is the second or third similar thread I’ve seen recently.
i actually haven’t flown PS yet, but I’ve done PE in Virgin Atlantic and op-uped into it on Air France. Those experiences lead me to think there’s a pretty wide range in experience!
From what I’ve seen, PS won’t be as nice as Virgin, but it won’t have anybody wishing they were back in normal economy, which some people say about the Air France pod seats.
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAproducer View Post
Ok, I’ll bite.

I’ve flown BA’s premium economy product on the 777. Decent product. Good legroom. Soft product was fair.
This was about 8 years ago, so I don’t know if it’s changed much.
From what I have read BA PE product ranks low compared to other OW airlines PE.
More of "economy plus" compared to other some others PE product which is more towards "business minus".
Today's better PE's are like business class was 1 or 2 decades ago
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
More of "economy plus" compared to other some others PE product which is more towards "business minus".
The BA hard product isn’t terrible. A bit dated, but comfortable - as comfortable (IMO) as JL. As with BA J, though, the soft product is weak, especially on the food front.
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
I disagree, the physical seat space of premium economy is remarkably consistent across carriers. You get like 38-40” of pitch, some type of footrest, and maybe 18-19” of width, plus additional separation between seats with thicker armrests with a small cocktail table. I think the only outlier is Air France with it’s fixed shell seat. Now, padding, the shape of the seat, accessability to power/IFE can vary, although some of that can be highly subjective.
I disagree that some are just Economy plus and others business minus, when business is almost entirely flat beds these days. No one in PE will think they’re thisclose to being in a flat bed. JMHO.
Old Mar 15, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

I disagree, the physical seat space of premium economy is remarkably consistent across carriers. You get like 38-40” of pitch, some type of footrest, and maybe 18-19” of width, plus additional separation between seats with thicker armrests with a small cocktail table. I think the only outlier is Air France with it’s fixed shell seat. Now, padding, the shape of the seat, accessability to power/IFE can vary, although some of that can be highly subjective.
I disagree that some are just Economy plus and others business minus, when business is almost entirely flat beds these days. No one in PE will think they’re thisclose to being in a flat bed. JMHO.
PE seats on VS are 21 inches wide, a discernible difference.
Old Mar 15, 19, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that the PS equivalent hard product is likely to be dependent on aircraft type for those carriers that have installed it on various generations of their long haul fleets, just like D1 seating is indeed dependent on aircraft type (although with D1 suites being a very new product, there aren't many differences between the A350 and 777 versions).

Search this Thread