DL NRT-SIN vs. KE ICN-SIN

Old Mar 14, 19, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
DL NRT-SIN vs. KE ICN-SIN

I need to book an upcoming work trip to SIN, and I've been playing around with different itineraries from the NE US (ideally BDL, but BOS/NYC are fine too). I'm planning on booking PE at a minimum, hopefully J if I can convince my boss given the brutal haul that it is from CT.

I'd ideally like to stick with DL - known quantity and all that, plus I've read some mixed comments about KE on here (hot cabins, etc.). However, the itineraries with the KE codeshare from ICN-SIN seem to be lining up much better, schedule-wise. I realize that if I go with PE, it's not available on either DL or KE for the NRT/ICN-SIN segment.

Anyone in the FT hivemind have an opinion on if DL vs. KE is a notably superior option for that last segment to SIN? I'm admittedly a bit of a DL fanboy, but not at the expense of a much higher fare and/or less convenient connection, if KE is totally adequate.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I know it's nice to stay with DL, but don't discount the great experience SQ offers in PE as a direct flight. Otherwise, I'd stick with DL, but that's just my personal preference. Some will agree, others will say different.
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkey75 View Post
I know it's nice to stay with DL, but don't discount the great experience SQ offers in PE as a direct flight. Otherwise, I'd stick with DL, but that's just my personal preference. Some will agree, others will say different.
I know - it crossed my mind to do the non-stop on SQ. Given how much the ticket is likely to cost, it would just kill me to give up the SM earnings (both RDM given the price of the ticket, and MQM given the distance). Plus, for a flight that long, I really wouldn't mind a connection to break it up. Fair suggestion for sure, however.
Old Mar 14, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
All depends on dates, but-

If you want to maximize MQD, and fly PE, you might look at AF through CDG. Several years ago I did several. PE trips to Asia that way and even booked stopovers in Europe for just a few $s more.
Seeing BOS-SIN in AF PE for $2300 depending on dates.
Even better seeing JFK-SIN MU business for $2600!
Or lower MQD % on CI via TPE for $1300 but TPE-SIN isn’t PE.
All found on google flights.
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM - that's it!
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
I'm not a big fan of MU, but if you can get J for the budget that otherwise would only allow you to fly PE I'd definitely do that. You'll probably get more MQDs and redemption miles on MU per $ spent.
If you have a lot of time, and want to rack up a lot of miles/MQM/MQD, you can fly JFK-MEX-PVG-SIN by combining AM and MU. I prefer AM over MU - but that requires prob an additional 8hrs each way to get to PVG.
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:38 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
SQ premium economy isn’t really anything to write home about - the seating is tight and the catering uninspired. I was decidedly unimpressed.

As for DL vs KE, both are good airlines on this segment and the differences are minor. If you had aspirations of applying a global upgrade DL would obviously be your choice, but otherwise I think it’s a wash and you should pick what works better for your schedule.
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:16 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
All depends on dates, but-

If you want to maximize MQD, and fly PE, you might look at AF through CDG. Several years ago I did several. PE trips to Asia that way and even booked stopovers in Europe for just a few $s more.
Seeing BOS-SIN in AF PE for $2300 depending on dates.
Or lower MQD % on CI via TPE for $1300 but TPE-SIN isn’t PE.
All found on google flights.
These are all great options, particularly MU - who has an excellent business class product - and CI - who offers a better than average premium economy, IMHO.
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
If you can get J approved I did 4 segments on KE in J last year and enjoyed all of the segments (ICN-SGN). No hot cabins and food was great. Would not hesitate to book them again.
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AA EXP
I just did the NS on SQ....it was GREAT in PE.......and I'm EXP on AA! Guess I'm just old but comfort made the decision. KE can have some shoddy hard product....

Hey and it's my 2,000th post!
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
C+ on Delta's 767 is fine, but J on KE's 777 is fantastic. Bring some shorts to change into.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cory6188 View Post
I need to book an upcoming work trip to SIN, and I've been playing around with different itineraries from the NE US (ideally BDL, but BOS/NYC are fine too). I'm planning on booking PE at a minimum, hopefully J if I can convince my boss given the brutal haul that it is from CT.

I'd ideally like to stick with DL - known quantity and all that, plus I've read some mixed comments about KE on here (hot cabins, etc.). However, the itineraries with the KE codeshare from ICN-SIN seem to be lining up much better, schedule-wise. I realize that if I go with PE, it's not available on either DL or KE for the NRT/ICN-SIN segment.

Anyone in the FT hivemind have an opinion on if DL vs. KE is a notably superior option for that last segment to SIN? I'm admittedly a bit of a DL fanboy, but not at the expense of a much higher fare and/or less convenient connection, if KE is totally adequate.

Thanks in advance!
If the boss isn't paying for business class, I'd almost automatically disregard anything that didn't have PE, because those intra-Asia hops are still about 7 hour flights. I'd try to find the cheapest lay-flat option if it's more likely to result in a successful booking.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I would rank the J seats as (best to worst) MU DL KE. I have the meals in the opposite order, but that matters far less to me.

And service? I still do not understand what that is about. I never have any problem getting anything I wanted on any of these airlines while in J.

If the company will spring for the $3K or so I think this a no brainer, fly MU. If they will not, then I would look into CI, though I have never flown their new PE product.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold
My opinion would be to try your best to stick to purely DL metal. Agreed the schedules are becoming more and more favorable to KE because that’s what DL eventually wants all Asian connections to shift to. But IMO there’s too much of an issue between how DL and KE’s systems interact. Seat assignments with KE are hit or miss, highly subject to reassignment (if one can be assigned at all)... despite being booked in Y or J.

Bottom line if KE was the only option they are bearable. But if you can do it on DL metal, at a semi reasonable price/schedule, I would stick to DL.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

I really appreciate all the great input from everyone - I certainly have some good food for thought here. I'll poke around on Google Flights and see what I can do to get the powers that be to approve J (and agreed with the above comments...J in MU is better than Y on DL!).

Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
My opinion would be to try your best to stick to purely DL metal. Agreed the schedules are becoming more and more favorable to KE because that’s what DL eventually wants all Asian connections to shift to. But IMO there’s too much of an issue between how DL and KE’s systems interact. Seat assignments with KE are hit or miss, highly subject to reassignment (if one can be assigned at all)... despite being booked in Y or J.

Bottom line if KE was the only option they are bearable. But if you can do it on DL metal, at a semi reasonable price/schedule, I would stick to DL.
This is a great point - super frustrating that DL hasn't figured it out with KE in the same (relatively) seamless way that they have with KL/AF, particularly given how much they're shifting connections over to them.
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT View Post
C+ on Delta's 767 is fine, but J on KE's 777 is fantastic. Bring some shorts to change into.
Just flew J on KE three weeks ago ATL-ICN. Hard product might be nice on the 747-8i but food quality was not what it was in 2015 when I last flew it. Portions were small, no snack basket, and no mid-flight option other than spicy ramen noodles.

I was starving by the time we landed at ICN, and i’m not a heavy eater by any stretch of the imagination.

If OP can get the A380 at least they do have sandwiches set up at the onboard bar.

Search this Thread