Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX domestic to international

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
8+ hours - get out of the airport and enjoy the city.
Was just going to say this. Take a Lyft to Manhattan Beach/Santa Monica/Venice/etc. Security at LAX T2/T3 is some of the easiest you will find out of all the major DL airports.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:20 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Just make sure to check the gates because sometimes it changes:
2x is T2
3x is T3
1XX is TBIT

All with easy connections via bus. Each terminal can have domestic or international departing flights.

Lounges are the Delta SkyClubs in T2 (the better one) and T3. KAL is for TBIT (which is awful).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsagator
Was just going to say this. Take a Lyft to Manhattan Beach/Santa Monica/Venice/etc. Security at LAX T2/T3 is some of the easiest you will find out of all the major DL airports.
Thanks for the advice, i'd love to but I already know I'll have too much anxiety about a random event happening that'd make me miss my flight. I get to my 'teeny tiny no line at security' airport 3+ hours early (aka I'm leaving my house at 1am for a 60min drive for a 6am departure). Crazy? Yes. I'm ok with it.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Lounges are the Delta SkyClubs in T2 (the better one) and T3. KAL is for TBIT (which is awful).
Thanks I'll probably end up spending most my time in a lounge (that's what I did last time and it was so much more peaceful). Good to know which is better, I was wondering if there was a difference.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:34 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Well, you can wonder around TBIT which has the most shops and goodies. The 8 hours easily done nearby and I agree, the normal TSA lines are really short at T2/T3 and almost always so. There's some really nice spots nearby like Playa Provisions which has casual coffeehouse stuff as well as more upscale lunch/dinner options and is right off the beach, near the end of the runway, 5-10 minute Lyft/cab ride.
HeatherDsyd likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by BHammy
But LAX int'l->dom used to be "internal" like in SYD - not thrown out into general population as they have re-engineered it.
LAX has never been purely internal, or purely external... Things have changed slightly through the years but there's always been an option to walk outside or not, as long as I can remember. Two weeks ago I had a tight connection onwards on AA, and used the transfer security from TBIT to enter T4 after I exited customs. No walking outside.

There is still an option to re-clear security without going outside, but it doesn't make sense to do so for most itineraries (really only T4 or another TBIT flight makes sense). Perhaps what your remember is a QF->AA connection where it makes sense to stay inside. I'm not sure what difference going outside makes in any case.... I always prefer to go outside, feels less claustrophobic for a bit.

Not sure why you bring up SYD, not only do you have to go outside in SYD I->D, but you definitely can't walk it! Unless there is a 3 km tunnel under the runways I don't know about.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Mar 17, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I just did the Intl to D, T2, this past Tuesday.
Ut's as described above, the only weird thing is Delta's long uphill corridor to recheck the bags.
Even JFK is much easier.

I don't remember going thru security again, which only means is was pretty easy.

Outbound, as described, a shuttle bus and it was a very quick, easy, painless transfer between terminals.

IF I had an 8 hour layover, I'd try also try to get out fo the airport.
HeatherDsyd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.