Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL raising TATL J award prices?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rogo
You get MQMs for sure. You don't get RDMs.

If you use your miles to 100% pay for the ticket then no, but if you only partially pay for your ticket with miles then, yes, you still get redeemable miles as well as MQDs.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mayhem
For what it's worth, the TATL fares in J paid in $ have also been crazy the past few years. $7,000 for a ticket, even when bought in advance (<7 day stay) is very common, vs. $7,000 tickets to e.g., Australia. I'm guessing the TATL JVs are doing their work and inflating the fares, hence the miles need to follow in order to offset the opportunity cost for not selling a $7,000 seat...
Add to that the fleet evolution of less % J seats per plane, and this won't get any better.
Disagree. They haven't really changed the fares in recent years. The main change has been a somewhat obscure tweak in the Sat night requirements in the fare rules for the cheaper fares to make it be from point of arrival instead of point of departure. So you now need to depart on a Friday, instead of a Saturday, in order to meet the requirement (other than if you are doing JFK-LHR where they have the daytime flight). People who were used to qualifying for them with a Saturday departure no longer qualify and now have to stay until the following Saturday (for a 7-day min stay fare) to get cheaper fares (or alternatively, depart on a Friday to qualify for the Sat night stay fares). Those Sat night stay fares are still very much there, but you if you were not aware of this change, it would not be apparent and seem like a fare increase rather than a tweak in the fare rules.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 14, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Sad, was only a few years ago even J TPAC was 80K OW.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you use your miles to 100% pay for the ticket then no, but if you only partially pay for your ticket with miles then, yes, you still get redeemable miles as well as MQDs.
Only on the $ paid however. Why is this a good use of money? It isn't. Unless of course you don't have all the miles or you are trying to average higher than 1 cent/mile redeemed.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Only on the $ paid however. Why is this a good use of money? It isn't. Unless of course you don't have all the miles or you are trying to average higher than 1 cent/mile redeemed.
Good way to get MQMs -- especially if the cost is roughly the same as buying the miles ticket
rogo likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
Good way to get MQMs -- especially if the cost is roughly the same as buying the miles ticket
Or when you can't buy a first-class or business-class ticket because of a travel policy, but want to fly up-front and have enough miles to get the ticket while still pocketing the reimbursement for the economy-class airfare.
rogo likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Everyone is so quick to post the rumor/"news" but not the reality this isn't even true.

Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Everyone is so quick to post the rumor/"news" but not the reality this isn't even true.

It is true. Whats posted is the new "normal" price

128K RT is a flash sale that's currently happening
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a really a "flash sale" as it has been around for several weeks and the flash sales are only for 48 hours. As has been posted a number of times, this is a summer seasonal (see dates below) award fare sale to Europe (although LHR has it's own level at 88K each way -- if you can find VS metal availability, it is slightly less at 86K each way). You see the terms for the sale by clicking on the "fare rules" link. It has a roundtrip booking requirement as indicated by the 'R' in the fare code. The "640" in the fare code is the mileage amount (multiply by 100).

FARE CODE CSVR640
FLIGHT APPLICATION
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY DL FLIGHT.
ADVANCE RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 60 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT THE SAME TIME. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED BY MIDNIGHT ON THE DAY RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
MINIMUM STAY
TRAVEL FROM LAST INTERNATIONAL STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS
VALID FOR TRAVEL COMMENCING ON/AFTER 30JUN 19 AND ON/ BEFORE 06SEP 19. ALL TRAVEL MUST BE COMPLETED BY MIDNIGHT ON 06SEP 19.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 16, 2019 at 10:52 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:34 am

Europe - Asia went up from 80k to 90k OW on SkyTeam partner airlines. Makes me wonder what else they have adjusted.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Pardon my ignorance; I keep seeing posters reference fare codes. Are they something I can plug into the fare search or just for informative purposes in order to find the fare buckets referenced?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You can find the award fare code(s) after you have found inventory, under the fare rules hyperlinks. If you have more than one code between origin and destination you're getting a broken fare -- and additive mileage pricing.
pulpfiction78 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
There are some anomalies. I wanted a JFK-MAD-JFK in October-November in D1. Miles were 425,000, cash was $2,400 for the same flights. PWM is the obvious choice.
I booked Y at $555 and used GUC's. With craziness like that I can't imagine that the loads are heavy and if we weren't on a tight schedule we'd have nonrev'd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.