Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delayed getting through customs due to mishandled luggage. Huge Delay as a result

Delayed getting through customs due to mishandled luggage. Huge Delay as a result

Reply

Old Mar 13, 19, 7:31 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,615
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
I doubt as Customs does not people to leave until all bags have definitely been off load because they do not want to deal with bags sans a PAX as it makes for more work for them.

IME when I have had bags not arrive and I was in a customs area I waited until the conveyor belt stopped. At that point, I checked with airline officials to make sure there were no more bags. At that point I exited customs and dealt with the airline. Fortunately, this happened only when I have been at my destination with no immediate onward flight.
What? Customs just asks if you have bags. If you say yes, but they didn't arrive they don't hold you. At best they ask if you're sure all bags have been offloaded. Which per your example, is a question you would've asked already to an airline employee. You reply yes, and proceed onward. They don't go track down an airline employee or insist that the bag hold be looked at. Thus why I believe there may have been a misunderstanding. I guess could've also been a new agent. Bottom line, what OP describes isnt how it's supposed to happen.
davetravels and TheHorta like this.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:51 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LAS
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,736
Originally Posted by RRDD View Post


I would, as long as the money is right.

I needed to fly to Brazil using routing A-B-Brazil-B-C. The cost was $200 less if I ended my flight at B and used a different airline to fly to C. The connection was 75 minutes. Heck yes, I went for it. I was at the gate for the flight to C before they started boarding.
With checked bags?
jphripjah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:45 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PIT to MSP to PIT; repeat
Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Posts: 1,473
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
With checked bags?
Of course not. The connection was too tight to risk checking a bag.
RRDD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:15 am
  #49  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Update:
I have been keeping an eye on my Delta App and the Baggage Tab.
Mar 12 4:32 am - Bag tagged
Mar 12 9:52 - Bag on plane CDG - MSP
Mar 13 9:51 - Bag on plane CDG - MSP

Mar 13 1:46 Bag in Customs Area

How is there no activity between the two bolded activities?
How did my bag get on my plane initially then not make it to the destination with me? Then suddenly appear on the next day's plane (same schedule)?

I have been on the phone with Delta half the evening and I will hopefully see my bag today at my home.
I have spoken to multiple people from Delta and they all stated something along the lines of the Paris flights causing a lot of mystery in terms of baggage
WHAT IS GOING ON IN PARIS?


Additionally, when I initially got my standby ticket I requested if they would provide any flight vouchers, meal vouchers, lounge access etc. But they denied everything.
The fact that my bag went off the grid for 24 hours I feel is very wrong.
I don't know what I am or should have been entitled to.
Is someone familiar with this?
strickerj likes this.
cccmm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 7:33 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PIT to MSP to PIT; repeat
Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Posts: 1,473
Originally Posted by cccmm View Post
WHAT IS GOING ON IN PARIS?
You must be new to this forum?
wrp96 and emrdoc like this.
RRDD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 7:52 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,041
I find it odd that it was scanned and on the plane on 12th. The question is when was it scanned? I thought they got scanned as they were loaded from the cart and on to the conveyor leading to the baggage hold of the plane. But perhaps it was scanned as it was loaded on to the cart or fell off the conveyor and not found until they moved it. The fact that there was no activity for 24 hours is perhaps not usual but I do not know the scanning process for a bag that missed it's flight.

As for what you are/should be entitled to. As I mentioned previously, focus on getting monies back for the ground transportation and the connecting flight. Lost bags happen, I would not focus on the bag too much but focus on the fact that you waited 8 hours for a flight that you never had any chance of getting on.

e.g. Dear Delta, My bag was mishandled, I understand that happens. Because of that I did not clear customs and bag recheck in a normal amount of time and I missed my connecting flight. I was told that I would have a seat on the next flight which was in 8 hours. However, after waiting 8 hours the gate agent for that flight told me I was given incorrect information and in reality I had no chance of boarding that flight. Had I known that up front I would have not wait 8 hours and immediately taken ground transportation home. Which what I did eventually because the GA was not sure when they could get me on a connecting flight without waiting an additional 16 hours. While I understand bags get mishandled I should not have been promised a seat that I would never get and immediately given alternatives. I am requesting a re-imbursement for the ground transportation and a refund of my final connecting flight.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 7:59 am
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,355
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
I find it odd that it was scanned and on the plane on 12th. The question is when was it scanned? I thought they got scanned as they were loaded from the cart and on to the conveyor leading to the baggage hold of the plane. But perhaps it was scanned as it was loaded on to the cart or fell off the conveyor and not found until they moved it. The fact that there was no activity for 24 hours is perhaps not usual but I do not know the scanning process for a bag that missed it's flight.
I'm pretty sure that luggage on wide body TATL planes doesn't use the conveyor belt type of loading the way a narrow body plane does. They pre-load them in bins, and are scanned individually into the bin, then the entire bin is scanned when it gets onto the plane. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I'm not sure if the B763s are done this way or not.

I think that, somehow, the bag was scanned into a bin, and it didn't get put in the bin, so, it was loaded the next day.
davetravels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:10 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pagus Bracbatensis, Kingdom of the Netherlands
Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Posts: 1,881
Originally Posted by cccmm View Post
Update:
I have been keeping an eye on my Delta App and the Baggage Tab.
Mar 12 4:32 am - Bag tagged
Mar 12 9:52 - Bag on plane CDG - MSP
Mar 13 9:51 - Bag on plane CDG - MSP

Mar 13 1:46 Bag in Customs Area

How is there no activity between the two bolded activities?
How did my bag get on my plane initially then not make it to the destination with me? Then suddenly appear on the next day's plane (same schedule)?

WHAT IS GOING ON IN PARIS?
AF handles most if not all ground ops @CDG. They might not 'scan' your bag at every step.
Grouchy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:27 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Posts: 1,695
Originally Posted by cccmm View Post
Was told to wait till they confirmed the plane was emptied.
What if you didn't have any checked luggage? Customs don't have real-time matching info about passengers and their bags.

I have spent a few years now without checking bags (have had bad luck in the past), no custom agents have asked me to wait even when I just have a book bag on my back coming back to the US.
Repooc17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:19 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
I wouldn't book an 84 minute I-D connection at any US airport.
I book connections like this routinely. I've never missed a connection inside MCT. I would have second thoughts on an airline with an abysmal onetime record, or if arriving on time was absolutely critical.

My question is why did you accept standby if they said there was open seats. Were they blaming you for missing the connection?

AA tried to do this to me once when I missed a BA-AA connection in SJC. I figured it was becasue they were inexperienced handling connections there, but that excuse doesnt work for DL in MSP.
Aliquot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:55 pm
  #56  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 40,174
The bag could easily have been scanned off the aircraft and into the "Customs area" and still not been properly delivered. It could have been elsewhere, fallen off a cart or any number of things. This happens all the time, every day, around the world. Not worth obsessing about a 24-hour bag delay.

As noted, OP may be dut a duty of care under EC 261/2040 and that is about it. DL is prompt in processing these (whether granted or denied). The duty of care includes hotel & reasonable meals. DL might include ground transport but is not required to. If OP had interim expenses because he was without luggage (very unlikely) those are reimburseable under the Montreal Convention,

Submit them as separate items to DL, make certain that the delay items are tagged as being made under EC 261/204, hopefully don't complicate it with baggage issues, and be done with it. Worrying about where the bag went wrong when it was for 24 hours is simply not going to produce anything.
CarmenOM likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:02 pm
  #57  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 78,653
OP seems to be home now and IIRC DL (and most airlines) won't pay for stuff purchased when a bag is lost and you're back at home. There seems to be an expectation that you have access to clothes, toiletries, etc. at home and therefore don't need to buy anything.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 11:24 pm
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,615
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
OP seems to be home now and IIRC DL (and most airlines) won't pay for stuff purchased when a bag is lost and you're back at home. There seems to be an expectation that you have access to clothes, toiletries, etc. at home and therefore don't need to buy anything.
It depends what the stuff is and how many days.
Often1 likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:01 pm
  #59  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 40,174
And whether it is international Both France and the US are parties to the Montreal Convention.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:21 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Now: SAT. Previously: SEA, DAY/CVG
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 4,999
Originally Posted by cccmm View Post
Update:
I have been keeping an eye on my Delta App and the Baggage Tab.
Mar 12 4:32 am - Bag tagged
Mar 12 9:52 - Bag on plane CDG - MSP
Mar 13 9:51 - Bag on plane CDG - MSP

Mar 13 1:46 Bag in Customs Area
How is there no activity between the two bolded activities?
How did my bag get on my plane initially then not make it to the destination with me? Then suddenly appear on the next day's plane (same schedule)?
Part of the "answer" to this may be that bags on widebody flights are not loaded directly onto the plane but rather into the cargo container bins. So the bag is "scanned" onto the plane when it's placed in a container bin, which is well before the bin (and bag) are ever loaded onto the actual plane. My guess at what happened is your bag was either scanned into a container (so it showed "bag on plane") that was then not loaded onto the plane for whatever reason or your bag was scanned as being loaded into a container, but then was not actually loaded into the container that eventually was loaded into the plane.

ETA: Looks like davetravels beat me to it upthread.
davetravels likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Mar 15, 19 at 1:05 pm
ATOBTTR is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread