Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New one on me - DL2458, three people assigned to same seat?

New one on me - DL2458, three people assigned to same seat?

Old Mar 12, 19, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2.76MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Question New one on me - DL2458, three people assigned to same seat?

3/10 I'm on 2458 seated in 3C on a D fare. I board third or so in line and take my seat and start sipping my 219 degree coffee. A few minutes later a young lady points to 3D and takes the seat (standard protocol). A few minutes later a man comes in and points to 3D and shows his boarding pass to the young lady saying he has 3D, her app shows 3D as well (also D fare I learn later). I ring the FA button and step into the aisle to let them sort it out wondering what on earth was going to happen. While they are sorting it out and elderly lady shows up ALSO holding a BP for 3D!

I've never seen such a fiasco and there are no more seats in F or Y at this point. My seat I have had since booking, apparently so had the original young lady who sat down first. The second and third folks were upgraded to the same occupied seat at the same time by the GA I guess.

Eventually the first person that sat down kept the seat and the other two didn't even fly on the full bird. What a mess...
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/2MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wow! I've seen two PAX for one seat but never three. I always assumed that whoever boards first, especially if they are in the originally-ticketed class (aot upgraded), keeps the seat. I could see a connecting INTL itinerary as a complicating factor, or possibly a battle of fare buckets.

Yikes. Good work assisting & getting out of the way.
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Sounds like you had a little bit of preflight entertainment. I wouldnít think a computer program worth its salt would allow a seat to be assigned/confirmed more than once ó at least not without a significant amount of warning and hoops to
jump through making accidental duplicate seat assignments very difficult to do mistakenly.

DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had duplicate seat assignments a couple times, but never triplicate. Often the person who first arrives at the seat and occupies it gets to keep it, so there's a very slight risk of boarding late if the flight is full, but I've also seen the person with the highest status be told to keep the seat.
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
If the other two didn't get to fly on the full bird they must have gotten quite good compensation. Otherwise the GA would have come on board to ask for volunteers (in any cabin) to accommodate those two before having to do an involuntary denied boarding. I have seen it happen where the ones who don't have a seat yet don't accept the VDB offer, and the GA asks for volunteers to come back off the plane, in order to let the others on. Highly entertaining...
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
Originally Posted by webmarks View Post
Yikes. Good work assisting & getting out of the way.
OP was holding hot coffee and at risk of being in the middle of a fight - I'd get out of the way too!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
If the other two didn't get to fly on the full bird they must have gotten quite good compensation. Otherwise the GA would have come on board to ask for volunteers (in any cabin) to accommodate those two before having to do an involuntary denied boarding. I have seen it happen where the ones who don't have a seat yet don't accept the VDB offer, and the GA asks for volunteers to come back off the plane, in order to let the others on. Highly entertaining...
Could it have been a mistake where the GA gave two nonrevs the same occupied FC seat by mistake? It sounds like they left the aircraft without much fuss.

It's good for the OP that no one tried to take away his/her seat. I would have been a bit nervous about getting up.
hortkie likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2.76MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Other than there being a fuss between the GA and three pax, there wasn't a "show" by any means. I was still blown away how anything like that could happen.

Me and my seat mate were on paid F and had the seats for weeks. I also remember looking at the seat map and not seeing any open seats anywhere either prior to boarding so who knows what caused the glitch. I think if I had already had a couple cups of coffee I could have asked more questions. I just didn't want to get booted myself.
Old Mar 12, 19, 1:07 pm

The few times Iíve dealt with seating issues, the problem has always been one passenger having a BP for the wrong flight, or an outdated boarding pass. Iím not sure how a true seat duplicate could happen.
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
I've never seen such a fiasco and there are no more seats in F or Y at this point. My seat I have had since booking, apparently so had the original young lady who sat down first. The second and third folks were upgraded to the same occupied seat at the same time by the GA I guess.

The highlighted text says it all
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
How could the two duplicate seat pax even board? The boarding pass bar code / QR code is both unique to passenger and embeds the seat, does it not? So when scanned at boarding it should have detected a changed/duplicate seat and spit out a new seat assignment if one exists, or otherwise denied boarding. At the very least, even if it's just by seat (I don't think it is), it should have detected the pax in the seat had already boarded.

I am pretty sure that even Dullta's rather primitive and poorly tested systems do not allow multiple pax to be assigned to the same seat simultaneously, and track record of who has boarded both by pax and seat #, so if not not on one then on other count this should have been caught before the triplicate pax set aboard the plane. And if somehow two BPs for the same seat got printed out wrong due to less-than-real-time system sync, still at boarding (before pax get onboard) it should be identified. As it didn't (or GAs let pax aboard despite it not showing OK to board), that is actually a rather serious security concern and potential real flaw in the DL airport/boarding systems. Frankly, this is a security breach and potential serious DL systems problem that should be investigated by the appropriate authorities.
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
How could the two duplicate seat pax even board? The boarding pass bar code / QR code is both unique to passenger and embeds the seat, does it not? So when scanned at boarding it should have detected a changed/duplicate seat and spit out a new seat assignment if one exists, or otherwise denied boarding. At the very least, even if it's just by seat (I don't think it is), it should have detected the pax in the seat had already boarded.
So it beeps. And then? You magically have a wall where you cannot proceed?
How exactly do you mean "denied boarding". The system physically prevents the person from getting on the plane. By what means?
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:04 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM->PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
How exactly do you mean "denied boarding". The system physically prevents the person from getting on the plane. By what means?
The human on the other side of the scanner says "please step to the side while we sort out a problem with your ticket"?
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by bennos View Post
The human on the other side of the scanner says "please step to the side while we sort out a problem with your ticket"?
Ah, that is not a given. Some humans may say it, some may not.
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
That's the GA's job. Most GAs will not let you board until it lights up green / OK to board (because that is literally their job). If you try to proceed to the jetway before it is green / OK to board the GA may put their hand to block your way or do other such gesture, and if a pax proceeds without being OK to board it's their job to chase you down the jetway and get you off the plane. That is the whole point why the boarding is manned.

In more developed airports (i.e. outside of US) there are often gates where you scan your BP and the gate opens, so if not physically manned then yes, there will be gates that open and only let one pax through, only after BP is validated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: