Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding - a better way?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Boarding - a better way?

I just traveled ATL to ICN to BKK. ATL to ICN was Delta and then ICN to BKK was KAL - return was same metal. Now it seems to me that the Delta boarding is often a lengthy and bit of a scrum. When waiting for my KAL flights I kept wondering when they would start to board - many people waiting - not that long until scheduled departure time..... Once underway, it seemed to go much faster and I think it is because KAL boards those seated at the back, first - thus much less aisle jam up. I mean, this makes so much sense, doesn't it, or am I missing something? I mean, maybe board first / business class so they can get their free drinks but for general economy it seems to make a lot of sense to board back to front.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:50 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Delta's boarding order is not designed to be the fastest, it is designed to make people think "I should have bought a better fare" or "I should get a credit card."
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by suec1
I just traveled ATL to ICN to BKK. ATL to ICN was Delta and then ICN to BKK was KAL - return was same metal. Now it seems to me that the Delta boarding is often a lengthy and bit of a scrum. When waiting for my KAL flights I kept wondering when they would start to board - many people waiting - not that long until scheduled departure time..... Once underway, it seemed to go much faster and I think it is because KAL boards those seated at the back, first - thus much less aisle jam up. I mean, this makes so much sense, doesn't it, or am I missing something? I mean, maybe board first / business class so they can get their free drinks but for general economy it seems to make a lot of sense to board back to front.
Honestly if they boarded F last (but you still got to secure overhead space) I would consider that a real benefit. (as well as DM for example) I think boarding first is actually the worst. I equate it to "hey you spend a lot of time in planes already MR/MRS DM, well how about an extra 30-50 minutes?"

No boarding zones will ever make sense for one simple reason. People will always fight for overhead space no matter what. On international planes there is more overhead space and boarding is more spread out by the sheer size of a 777 or A380 versus a 737. Airlines did this to themselves by charging for checked luggage so now everybody tries to drag 7 bags and 3 trunks with them on the plane. Just bake the $35 into the fare and call it a day with "free luggage" again. If DL wants to put the extra $35 on their balance sheets as upselling every passenger on luggage I could care less if it makes them feel special.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Just bake the $35 into the fare and call it a day with "free luggage" again. If DL wants to put the extra $35 on their balance sheets as upselling every passenger on luggage I could care less if it makes them feel special.
I think one of the benefits to DL is there are no government fees or taxes on fees like this.
SJC ORD LDR, ND76 and fotographer like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I think one of the benefits to DL is there are no government fees or taxes on fees like this.
Never thought of that, and it makes complete sense.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by VFR
Delta's boarding order is not designed to be the fastest, it is designed to make people think "I should have bought a better fare" or "I should get a credit card."
Or making people feel important when they aren't.

There are plenty of people traveling with a single small item who still scurry onboard as though it were a free-for-all.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So here are the facts on all those "fees and taxes" (which, as usual, are left out when people make these claims). It's a 7.5% Excise tax and it is charged on domestic flights only. That's it. The rest of the taxes and fees are fixed amounts and do not vary with the base fare. Note that since BE and C+ are separate fares, so DL does pay the 7.5% taxes on the upcharge amounts when going from BE to MC to C+. If they were really so determined to avoid the 7.5% tax, why didn't they leave C+ as a separate add-on fee rather than make it a higher fare?
rogo and nancypants like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Also, if the fees were built into the base fare, DL would be paying out more Skypesos and MQD and I'm sure they wouldn't like that

I'd love for there to be a "cabin bag or checked bag" option. If you choose the free checked bag you only get a personal item on board. I know this puts too much extra work on employees though, who would have to 'clear' each roller bag by checking the boarding pass ahead of time (either at check in desks or at the gate, neither of which are good). And it wouldn't even guarantee fewer problems since even 20 minutes for a DL bag delivery is a waste of many peoples' time, so there will always be people carrying on.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bag fee thing is a red herring.

Just try taking a WN flight. It includes two bags with all tickets. Does not change the fact that people still lug steamer trunks onboard.

In the legacy context, OH space is not likely to a problem other than at the end of boarding.if the GA's monitor the size of the steamer trunks. People want to board first because they think it makes them special. They forget (or don't know) that in the good old days (if they were good), F boarded last.
kop84 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:14 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I think they should charge for a carry on bag (or free for elites) and then allow free checked bags. Along with more strict screening of bag sizes. Additionally, window to aisle, back to front would seem to be a much better way to do things. I don't understand why people think SKY or PREM is a benefit. Why do you want to sit in the front of the plane while everyone bumps into you as they make their way to the back.
suec1 and sydneyracquelle like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Asian airlines just do boarding so much better. Widebody aircrafts with 300+ passengers? No issues - 10 minutes, boarding complete from F to J to Y.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
A couple comments:

Free checked bag will never happen instead of free carry on - why --- fuel costs....

First boarding last makes a lot of sense to me. They do have the dedicated overhead space, and particularly on larger planes you enter at a different door or turn a different way compared to most, if not all (anymore) passengers. Would people complain about losing their pre-flight cocktail too much? I wouldn't, but maybe others would. More time to hang out in the SC frankly.

What I have right now most about boarding order is the integrity of priority is not maintained. In the old way anyone could walk up with their sky priority at any time, now it is much harder to jump to the front of the line.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Asian airlines just do boarding so much better. Widebody aircrafts with 300+ passengers? No issues - 10 minutes, boarding complete from F to J to Y.
Widebodies should board faster. With 2 aisles they have less seats per row per aisle than something like a 737. Plus they typically have more bin space. And might have two boarding gates.

The other advantage for many Asian airlines is "scrum" boarding. Boarding by status will be slower as it will be boarding front and aisles first.

EDIT: Never have seen 10 minutes though.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Widebodies should board faster. With 2 aisles they have less seats per row per aisle than something like a 737. Plus they typically have more bin space. And might have two boarding gates.

The other advantage for many Asian airlines is "scrum" boarding. Boarding by status will be slower as it will be boarding front and aisles first.

EDIT: Never have seen 10 minutes though.
I am comparing widebodies v. widebodies, JL and NH are especially efficient, and both have boarding groups.

Just the other day, I observed incredible fast boarding process on NH109.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Just try taking a WN flight. It includes two bags with all tickets. Does not change the fact that people still lug steamer trunks onboard.
WN turns plans much faster than the legacy carriers. I have no idea how much of this is open seating (which definitely helps boarding speed!) versus less carry-ons, but it's definitely possible that the free checked bags results in less problems with space for bags.

Anecdotally, it seems like they run out of overhead bin space less frequently than the airlines that charge for bags, so I'm inclined to disagree that it's a non-issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.