Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL-IST booking through klm mileage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

hello all.
Thinking of booking this or something similar, but through klm to get my MQD up and because it’s a decent business fare.

Not sure how it will calculate the mqm and mqd.
It says on the klm page that it’s booking into z/j class.

Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=atl+...3*2.USD.250593
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Apache137
hello all.
Thinking of booking this or something similar, but through klm to get my MQD up and because it’s a decent business fare.

Not sure how it will calculate the mqm and mqd.
It says on the klm page that it’s booking into z/j class.

Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=atl+ist&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#flt=ATL./m/09949m.2019-03-20.ATLAMS0KL622~AMSIST1KK2248*/m/09949m.ATL.2019-03-28.ISTAMS0KK2247~AMSDTW0DL139~DTWATL0DL2765;c:USD; e:1;a:SKYTEAM*SKYTEAM;sc:b;sd:1;t:f;sp:2.USD.24979 3*2.USD.250593
You'll earn MQDs as a percentage of distance flown if you book through KLM. Per delta.com, it says 40% MQDs for distance flown - approximately 2300 MQDs each way, or about 4600 MQDs for the round trip.

For MQMs, it will calculate based on the segment distance and fare code. If the segment books into Z, you'll earn MQMs based on 150% of distance flown for that segment. If the segment books into J, you'll earn MQMs based on 200% of distance flown for that segment.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

You can use GCMap to estimate distance, if the website doesn't display the miles flown itself: www.gcmap.com
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
If you want KL earnings -- not just book through KLM or AF, but be sure that the flights are coded with KL or AF flight numbers, even if operated by DL. Sometimes the KL booking will use the DL flight number. Also be sure you are booked in a fare class that earns -- Z, J, C, D, I. KL does publish some discounted fares in business (O) that do not earn on DL (mainly seen them on AMS-Asia). There is a recent thread on this. Sometimes it can be difficult to see the fare class on KL -- it doesn't show up on a KL itin or receipt. Once you get the PNR you can message them on whatsapp to ask the fare class (and save the message in case...). Do this within the 24 hour cancel w/o penalty period.
Or try to purchase the ticket through expedia or another OTA.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I’m trying to bank skymiles, but want to use the 40% mqd “hack”.

If I’m able to book it on an OTA like Expedia, will it still bank towards DL with the above benefit?

i had one flight in January atl-AMD-Vce and back on Premiun economy booked for me for work, and that blanked properly. I’m doing it myself this time so don’t want to screw it up.

1.) book on klm
2.) confirm flights have KL or AF codes
3.) confirm booking class and make sure it’s not (O).

Is that the long and short of it?

Thanks. Making a run at Diamond this year. I really don’t enjoy flying delta, but had a couple of international flights I’ve already had to take this year, so I’m committed. Never had premium status beyond gold one year on any airline since I fly so many and the bulk of my points are from different CCs. Have friends that swear by diamond so I’m gonna give it a shot.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It doesnr matter where you book, just how the flight is coded. Even DL operated KL coded earns at KL rate.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:29 am
Original Poster

On my return now from ist to ams then on to Atl.
The atl ams segment booked into Z and gave me 200% rdm and 150% mqm. 40% mqd of miles flown. All as expected.
Skymiles app is reading that the ams ist leg is not eligible. Doesn’t give reason why. I’m assuming because it’s on atlas global metal.
This one booked into J so 5k+mqm in the balance for both segments.
The ticket I purchased from klm.com has all flights coded KL.
Do I have a claim here with delta, or nah?
Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Apache137
Skymiles app is reading that the ams ist leg is not eligible. Doesn’t give reason why. I’m assuming because it’s on atlas global metal.
This one booked into J so 5k+mqm in the balance for both segments.
The ticket I purchased from klm.com has all flights coded KL.
Do I have a claim here with delta, or nah?
Thanks.
No, you do not have a claim because KK is not a SkyTeam partner. Per the Delta Airline Partners page's KLM window: "Mileage earn only applies to KLM-marketed flights operated by KLM, KLM Cityhopper, and KLM coded SkyTeam partners."
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by webmarks
No, you do not have a claim because KK is not a SkyTeam partner. Per the Delta Airline Partners page's KLM window: "Mileage earn only applies to KLM-marketed flights operated by KLM, KLM Cityhopper, and KLM coded SkyTeam partners."
Thank you!
Was overall a very comfortable experience. I was surprised by the business class in atlas global. Was a step above your typical domestic first, but not quite your typical long haul business class. Beat the heck out of intra europe BA, KL and AF business class, for example.
And the attendants really give deference to business class customers. Very decent food as well.

KLM was good overall. average hard product, good soft product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.