Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SLC Food Announcement

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:32 pm

Cafe RIo is still there so the locals won't be unhappy. I will miss the Boar's Head deli as it appears there is no place that makes made to order sandwiches and prepackaged ones are terrible.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I blame DL for the Chic-Fil-A at MSP and its special waiver of the requirement that airport merchants be open seven days a week.
I mean this 2012 article from ST suggests DL does have substantial say in food options for terminals they control; essentially noting they booted McD's from G.
Concourse C's new arrival: Chick-fil-A - StarTribune.com

I can't find the article, but vaguely recall reading at the time of Chic Fil A coming to MSP, the airport concession said there was high-demand for Chic Fil A by travelers, and even though they'd be closed one day/week, the demand for it still outweighed the lost revenue for one day a week.
gaugeguy likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BenA

In LAX, it was definitely driven by DL in at least some fashion; the Shake Shack opened within a month of DL taking over Terminal 3.
this is what first got me wondering if there was a linkup between DL and Shake Shack
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
I thought I'd seen Vino Volo was remaining, but then I didn't see in the plans. Anyone know if it will be in the new terminals? I much prefer it to the Skyclub prior to departures as food and wine options are better than the present iteration of the Skyclub in SLC.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
No In-n-out Burger? One of these days, we'll get one in an airport!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Why would we want one?
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I will miss the Boar's Head deli as it appears there is no place that makes made to order sandwiches and prepackaged ones are terrible.
Panera appears to filling that niche.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Panera appears to filling that niche.

Cat food.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I mean this 2012 article from ST suggests DL does have substantial say in food options for terminals they control; essentially noting they booted McD's from G.
Concourse C's new arrival: Chick-fil-A - StarTribune.com

I can't find the article, but vaguely recall reading at the time of Chic Fil A coming to MSP, the airport concession said there was high-demand for Chic Fil A by travelers, and even though they'd be closed one day/week, the demand for it still outweighed the lost revenue for one day a week.

I'm I reading this correctly that new SLC will no longer have a McDowell's?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
I can’t find the article now but I’m almost positive the Danny Meyer/Delta connection is why Shake Shack’s are in so many Delta terminals. IIRC, there was a war over where the OG airport Shake Shack’s would go at JFK and Delta won (the two Shake Shack’s are in Concourse B in Term 4 and the first one launched alongside the Delta opening in that concourse, if memory serves). I realize this is extreme, but I had a colleague switch a JFK to SFO flight to Delta when the terminal reopened b/c of Shake Shack.

As a huge Shake Shack fan (I worked on Park and 23rd for years, half a block from the original location), this serves both my interests. Honestly, knowing this will make me less annoyed next time I have to fly through SLC.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp

There’s also one going in at MSP. I’d say most likely it reflects a business decision by Shake Shack to aggressively promote/license their brand to airport concessionaires.
I think it's even more general: Shake Shack is expanding aggressively, including into airports. Doesn't seem to be that tied to Delta since they just opened one up in LGA Terminal B and also at DFW and PHX, all of which I'd associate a lot more with AA than DL.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
In-n-Out has super-strict requirements about where it sources its beef, which has historically been the main limiting factor in its expansion (b/c they require daily fresh shipments and so restaurants need to be X miles from the provider or whatever).

Knowing that, I don’t think we’ll ever see an In-n-Out in an airport — especially since most airport restaurants are at least partially managed by an external vendor. I just don’t see In-n-Out giving up that much control. Especially since the location close to LAX is never hurting for customers.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
In-n-Out does not have franchisees; so far as I know, all their locations are company owned (meaning Lynsi Snyder owned).

I think that their only entrée into airports is to grant franchises to outfits like HMS Host or "Paradies Lagardiere Dining Division" (they just acquired Hojeij Branded Foods), which I suspect they wouldn't do under any circumstances. Also, if they were to get their own location within an airport like SFO or LAX, all of a sudden they would subject themselves to the often wacky requirements that these cities impose on people who go into business with them.

I ate in an In-n-Out in Yuba City, CA on Saturday afternoon; the fries get cold very quickly; the burgers were fantastic.
SJC ORD LDR and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
In-n-Out does not have franchisees; so far as I know, all their locations are company owned (meaning Lynsi Snyder owned).

I think that their only entrée into airports is to grant franchises to outfits like HMS Host or "Paradies Lagardiere Dining Division" (they just acquired Hojeij Branded Foods), which I suspect they wouldn't do under any circumstances. Also, if they were to get their own location within an airport like SFO or LAX, all of a sudden they would subject themselves to the often wacky requirements that these cities impose on people who go into business with them.

I ate in an In-n-Out in Yuba City, CA on Saturday afternoon; the fries get cold very quickly; the burgers were fantastic.
Originally Posted by film_girl

In-n-Out has super-strict requirements about where it sources its beef, which has historically been the main limiting factor in its expansion (b/c they require daily fresh shipments and so restaurants need to be X miles from the provider or whatever).

Knowing that, I don’t think we’ll ever see an In-n-Out in an airport — especially since most airport restaurants are at least partially managed by an external vendor. I just don’t see In-n-Out giving up that much control. Especially since the location close to LAX is never hurting for customers.
Yep. I agree You do see In n Out near a few airports (LAX, SFO, and SJC) come to mind. But, you'll never see one inside an airport for the reasons that you both mentioned.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I'm I reading this correctly that new SLC will no longer have a McDowell's?
Keep in mind that article was from 2012, and there was a decent push back from passengers that eventually McD's was brought back at the junction of the C/D concourse. But it does seem DL has a trend of pushing for more "upscale" dining establishments in their terminals. That's doesn't mean eliminating American "staples" though, perhaps just pushing for them to be located in less desirable areas of the concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.