Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQMs when upgrading paid economy using miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold

Hi Folks!

I was wondering whether bonus MQMs are earned when flying paid domestic economy but upgrading to first class using miles. I know from personal experience if I paid for the upgrade using cash, I do get the MQM bonus. There original fare class was V but after buying an upgrade to domestic first class, the new fare class is Z. Appreciate an answer from someone that has tried this, thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by syd999
Hi Folks!

I was wondering whether bonus MQMs are earned when flying paid domestic economy but upgrading to first class using miles. I know from personal experience if I paid for the upgrade using cash, I do get the MQM bonus. There original fare class was V but after buying an upgrade to domestic first class, the new fare class is Z. Appreciate an answer from someone that has tried this, thanks!
If you use miles to upgrade then you shouldn't get the bonus.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
yes. you get the bonus MQM's
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
So, it’s settled then.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
It’s right in the T&C’s for upgrading with miles...after purchase:
  • You’ll earn miles and Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) credit based on the cabin flown and the cash amount of the ticket purchased, excluding taxes and fees.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only Mileage Upgrade Awards do not earn bonus MQM's. These are fixed rate mileage upgrades that can only be booked by a reservations agent and which are no longer available for flights within North and South America --

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

"11. SkyMiles: Mileage credited will be awarded based on the original Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+ fare purchased."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.