Relocating to NYC - Sell Me on Delta

Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
You can also do EWR-SJC which might be more efficient if you are going to the SF peninsula.
As others have pointed out, this factor actually goes in favor of Delta since JFK<->SJC actually exists whereas EWR<->SJC no longer does. Anecdotally, loads on JFK<->SJC seem extremely light, so I'm worried it's not going to last much longer.

I mostly agree that if OP can manage to get GS (have the folks on the United board sanity check that assumption) then United is likely a better option given the superiority of frequencies on the core routes. But if it's a choice between 1K and Diamond, Delta is the clear winner. 1K seems totally useless at this point: I get upgraded most of the time as a Diamond, whereas my 1K friends hardly ever do; the Diamond desk provides much better customer service than the 1K desk; and GUCs/RUCs seem easier to use than GPUs/RPUs (although United wins in that it's possible to look for and confirm upgrade availability online). Delta is also superior operationally to United.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
Anecdotally, loads on JFK<->SJC seem extremely light, so I'm worried it's not going to last much longer.
This would have been a much better bet for offering domestic D1 from the bay area rather than trying to compete with UA for BOS. Neither the current equipment (737) nor flight times (Eastbound redeye) lend themselves to success, IMO.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This would have been a much better bet for offering domestic D1 from the bay area rather than trying to compete with UA for BOS. Neither the current equipment (737) nor flight times (Eastbound redeye) lend themselves to success, IMO.
The 737 (sometimes 757) that does a red-eye SJC-ATL seems to have very good loads (I take that flight several times a year, and I've never seen it less than "pretty full", and often they look for volunteers offering pretty decent voucher deals). It seems to be medallion heavy, I've very rarely been given an upgrade to first, even as a PM on a non-cheap fare.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
The 737 (sometimes 757) that does a red-eye SJC-ATL seems to have very good loads (I take that flight several times a year, and I've never seen it less than "pretty full", and often they look for volunteers offering pretty decent voucher deals). It seems to be medallion heavy, I've very rarely been given an upgrade to first, even as a PM on a non-cheap fare.
ATL is a completely different market with much less competition. SJC-ATL is not competing with SFO-ATL like SJC-JFK is competing with SFO-JFK (because at SFO you have many options to fly tcon in a lay flat seat with full J class amenities for that redeye and at all other times for fairly decent pricing).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
I asbolutely loath EWR and do everything I can to avoid it (but I lived in Brooklyn, so my perspective from a time/cost perspective is def. skewed), but I agree with the other posters that depending where you live, it could be as convenient as JFK.

When I lived in NYC, I was very happy with Delta (and I still wind up connecting in JFK a fair bit for certain legs now that I’m in SEA), but if you could get GS on United, that would be worth considering. I hate American on any domestic flight but they have very good partnerships abroad which def works in their favor.

I’ve done just at 100k miles this far in 2019 (most of it international) and have been to every city on your list but Frankfurt (I’ve done Berlin tho) on Delta, whereas a colleague has had almost the same travel schedule as me but on United. He’s GS so his experience is that much nicer, but I haven’t noticed a demonstrable difference in routes for either of us (and tho I’m based in SEA, I travel to NYC a lot and other than SYD manu of my longer segments have originated from JFK this year/the end of last year).

As much as I’m really gunning for DM status (I should hit it next trip) and have a solid shot at 360, I can’t deny that in Europe, *A and OW are both really good, and if you’re doing an middle-east trips, superior to ST.

If you’re doing all of this J, I might just look at earning status on two alliances and then make a loyalty decision after.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
...The commute to JFK is not really any easier than the commute to EWR unless you really want to take a train..
if you will travel at the beginning or the end of a workday, you WILL want to take a train.

imho, EWR is horrible,

that i haven't flown on united for 20+ years is circumstantial. that i haven't flown in/out of EWR in five years is on purpose.

ticket counters and airport concessions have shorter hours. it's ugly, worse than the oldest terminals at JFK by far, and public transportation to/from NYC during rush hour is an inefficient patchwork of planes, trains, and automobiles (and not in the good way.) i'd say it's the penn station of new york airports. EWR is so demonstrably bad, flights in/out are the cheapest in the region. take that fwiw.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:07 am

location, location, location

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
OP did not say where in Manhattan they are going to be living. This matters.
so true
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Wow. Thanks everyone for your expert advice. Some things I had thought of and some things I hadn't. To answer some questions:

1. Not sure where I'll be living yet (in temp housing right now) but leaning towards Union Square/East Village.
2. A few things of importance are: hard product experience, IRROPS handling, timing of flights, best redemption options for when I take my wife on a nice vacation since I'll be gone so much
3. Of all of the advice given, I'm leaning towards the free agency route allowing me to fly more international carriers and pick the best times.
4. Not sure how much more (more or less) domestic traveling I'll be doing but there'll definitely be some YYZ/AUS in there at some points.
5. It's looking like it might be more TXL than FRA, and also a SIN trip once or twice a year as well. Just started last week and still figuring that out.
6. The companies travel policy is relatively agnostic leaving me to my own devices.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One argument against DL per the last part of your #2 above is that DL does not offer international first class awards on its partners (I think only Korean and Air France even offer an IFC product in the alliance). Also, its award prices are generally much higher than you'll find with UA/Star Alliance, although it's "easier" to find availability as well.

Obviously one key drawback of going free agent is those RDMs will be spread around more, and it will take longer to accumulate enough to go on that nice vacation. This is compounded by having lower status and thus lower mileage multipliers.

I do think that on balance, this is a tough call between DL/SkyTeam and UA/*A.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Also, its award prices are generally much higher than you'll find with UA/Star Alliance, although it's "easier" to find availability as well.
I've found United to be much easier to find great partner award redemptions. I also think United is better for both domestic and especially international redemptions on their own metal.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by axpmaluga
5. It's looking like it might be more TXL than FRA,
I think the only carrier to fly year-round nonstop service into TXL from the NYC region is UA from EWR. DL offers nonstop service in the busy summer season from JFK, otherwise you would transfer at AMS to KL which has regular flights. This transfer is not terrible but you may want to avoid.

One note about TXL: It is an awful airport. They have been working on a new Berlin airport for years that was supposed to be open several years ago but has had many setbacks. Unclear when it will actually open, but the current TXL is extremely outdated. The security setup is such that once you enter your gate area you are stuck there, with only minimal amenities. Both Lufthansa and Air France have lounges, so that helps for both SA and ST, but they are both outside of security so that can also be frustrating.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer
if you will travel at the beginning or the end of a workday, you WILL want to take a train.

imho, EWR is horrible,

that i haven't flown on united for 20+ years is circumstantial. that i haven't flown in/out of EWR in five years is on purpose.

ticket counters and airport concessions have shorter hours. it's ugly, worse than the oldest terminals at JFK by far, and public transportation to/from NYC during rush hour is an inefficient patchwork of planes, trains, and automobiles (and not in the good way.) i'd say it's the penn station of new york airports. EWR is so demonstrably bad, flights in/out are the cheapest in the region. take that fwiw.
I agree that traffic can be a mess, but with the way the MTA is running the subway these days I'd almost rather take the 15-30 minute delay in a comfortable Uber than sit stuck on the E line for an indefinite period of time for no apparent reason. In fact, if you have easy access to Penn Station, I'd actually probably prefer to take the Northeast Corridor line than mess with the MTA. Much more comfortable, fewer delays, and not any longer than the trip to JFK if you're already near Penn Station.

And you complain about EWR, but say you haven't flown United in 20 years. Have you been in Terminal C? It's not bad - certainly no worse than most JFK terminals. If OP takes United, he would be flying out of Terminal C for the most part (unless s/he decides to take LH). I agree that Terminal B is pretty dumpy (the one DL flies into).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
I agree that traffic can be a mess, but with the way the MTA is running the subway these days I'd almost rather take the 15-30 minute delay in a comfortable Uber than sit stuck on the E line for an indefinite period of time for no apparent reason. In fact, if you have easy access to Penn Station, I'd actually probably prefer to take the Northeast Corridor line than mess with the MTA. Much more comfortable, fewer delays, and not any longer than the trip to JFK if you're already near Penn Station.
I think NJT is way worse, compared to the LIRR. And the schedules are less frequent, particularly off hours and weekends. There are some *huge* time gaps between trains on the weekends on NJT. But generally the actual difference in travel time from Penn Sta to JFK vs. EWR is minimal.

Originally Posted by rucksack
I've found United to be much easier to find great partner award redemptions. I also think United is better for both domestic and especially international redemptions on their own metal.
Hmm, it seems UA has followed DL in offering variable pricing on domestic awards (at least coach?) As opposed to saver vs. anytime (for 2x)? I haven't stayed that up-to-date on UA. On that basis, availability does seem similar on domestic flights -- meaning pretty good, but mileage requirements will vary, likely tied to the underlying cash cost of the flight. I do agree that internationally UA is better because of the size of *A (though I don't really see great premium cabin availability/pricing on UA metal), so perhaps they do win overall.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, it seems UA has followed DL in offering variable pricing on domestic awards (at least coach?) As opposed to saver vs. anytime (for 2x)? I haven't stayed that up-to-date on UA. On that basis, availability does seem similar on domestic flights -- meaning pretty good, but mileage requirements will vary, likely tied to the underlying cash cost of the flight. I do agree that internationally UA is better because of the size of *A (though I don't really see great premium cabin availability/pricing on UA metal), so perhaps they do win overall.
It certainly seems that United is headed in the direction of dynamic award pricing. They still publish an award chart in the form of an interactive award pricing tool, but the values I'm seeing in the chart differ from the values I'm seeing when I'm searching for award flights. For example, EWR to MIA is available for 25,000 miles on April 11, but the award chart shows award levels of 12,500 (saver) or 32,500 (everyday). Or, on the same date from CHI-EWR, I'm seeing values of 12.5k, 15k, and 19k.

I think United is better than Delta when it comes to not restricting awards with advance purchase requirements (though they do have a close-in fee for non-elites) and not restricting one-way tickets (Delta has been playing around with this for TALT awards).
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Native new yorker here.... it's going to depend where you end up living. That's it. I live 2 blocks off the FDR and can get to LGA in 15 minutes 90% of the time. My work travel fits in nicely with the LGA route map, but having to rely on EWR or JFK from my location would change the equation drastically for me. You don't want to be traveling 15 hours a day and then be stuck in 2 hours of traffic because you were forced into one airport due to alliance preferences.

I agree with the advice on being a free agent... adding SIN to the mix (a place I visit 1x/year for work), you want to be on the direct flight vs connecting in PVG/PEK/NRT via other partners. So if you are dead set on choosing an airline, I'd favor UA (which kills me as a DL die hard) solely because of going one way vs connecting in PEK/PVG/NRT for all your other choices. I've done J on SQ JFK-FRA and it's an easy night flight with great service. The rest of your routings... just play around and figure out which routings/days/airport combo works the best.

If you end up in Union Square, you'll generally have better luck taking a cab to Newark than JFK, but you'll also have the backup option of relatively easy (but not seamless/one seat ride) of the PATH to Newark train station or subway to Penn Station and taking NJ Transit from there. Alternatively for JFK, you'll have the option to take the Airtrain to Penn Station an an easy subway or taxi back to Union Square.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.