Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relocating to NYC - Sell Me on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:35 pm

NYC resident here who lives over by the East River. Getting to EWR would add an hour to any of my trips so that would be a huge factor in my decision.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
With that amount of paid J, OP is looking at obtaining United Global Services or Delta 360. OP should definitely stick with one airline.

EWR-SJC is no more on UA.
It's not obvious to me that OP will get 360 unless it's part of the employer's corporate travel contract. UA GS might be closer to a sure thing if OP travels on UA and not its partners.

BTW, I don't think anyone here has yet mentioned the importance of reading the employer's travel policy carefully and asking how travel arrangements are booked (Concur?). If it's cheapest or cheapest nonstop/logical business class fare, OP might not have much choice of carrier or program.
AeRoSpaceman and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's cheapest or cheapest nonstop/logical business class fare, OP might not have much choice of carrier or program.
If OP is in a position to fly in the manner described (paid long haul business class) then the employer is likely open to negotiation on this sort of stuff.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I honestly wouldn't consider an allegiance to UA out of New York as they continue to have planes with "fauxlaris" and EWR is a far worse airport, unless you're living in the UWS/Jersey and value convenience.
Dr_wanderlust likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hi55us
I honestly wouldn't consider an allegiance to UA out of New York as they continue to have planes with "fauxlaris" and EWR is a far worse airport, unless you're living in the UWS/Jersey and value convenience.
Outside of the 8-abreast 777s (which I think are almost completely gone), I'd still rather fly a non-aisle access UA plane than a cramped 767 D1 seat which is what Delta flies on the routes OP is looking at. Different strokes for different folks though.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I want your job
Jma12, devyanks, demkr and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gig103
If considering United, be mindful of how partners earn PQM and PQD... I don't think it's as generous as the Skyteam arrangements (at least with tier 1 partners) regarding partner flights (as opposed to United ticket stock but codeshare).
Very true and something to really keep in mind when selecting.

To me the value on the routes mentioned by the OP, SFO, SYD, FRA, and GRU would lean towards *A, over Oneworld, over Skyteam. If Manhattan based the travel time to JFK or EWR are pretty equal depending on time of day, etc.

FRA has 5 daily *A non-stops from EWR and JFK while only 2 on DL and 0 on AA. of course if the DL flights are at better times for the OP than the rest is moot.

AA flies to Syd out of LAX, and partners with QF so if needing to go past SYD it would likely be the most convenient their. UA flies to SYD out of LAX, IAH, and SFO with AC out of YVR. DL/VA only fly out of LAX, though of course flying KE, NH, OZ, or one of the Chinese alliance partners is an option for a longer routing.

SFO is such a popular route that the OP would have the choice of tons of non-stop's daily regardless of carrier. Personally I think that B6 has the best J seat there but since the competition is between UA, AA, and DL....

Overall more options on *A / UA it seems for the routes OP is interested in
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by AceReport
FRA has 5 daily *A non-stops from EWR and JFK while only 2 on DL and 0 on AA. of course if the DL flights are at better times for the OP than the rest is moot.
I think Delta only flies 1 a day to FRA. Do they increase frequency in the summer? I'd be super surprised given that it is a *A hub that they would run a high frequency there.

edit: if you were using Google Flights to check, it looks like they have a weird bug. DL4 is showning as a JFK-FRA route, but it's a perfect duplicate of the "real" DL106 flight. DL4 is JFK-LHR. Matrix and other engines don't have this issue.

AceReport likes this.

Last edited by ethernal; Mar 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by axpmaluga
...So, why should I (or shouldn't I) pick Delta?
A few years ago I would have easily sold Delta... today, not so much. With that amount of Biz travel in premium seating, you would easily make top tier in two programs. Use this year to figure which is best. Global Services with United is the easiest to make, many of my colleagues have it, but they all agree the domestic product is the poorest option.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Someone suggested the SQ JFK-FRA nonstop in another thread, but the last time I checked, it was scheduled at inconvenient times.
I think the times are pretty good, actually, unless you need to hit the ground running immediately in the morning in Germany.

Depart JFK 20:55
Arrive FRA 10:40

Depart FRA 08:35
Arrive JFK 11:10

My choice would be UA EWR-SFO, SQ JFK-FRA, UA EWR-GRU, and either UA EWR-SFO-SYD or NH JFK-HND-SYD.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:25 pm

UA seems a logical choice

While UA seemed a logical choice, but I would not choose a US airline if I fly internationally as you certainly have much better business product by flying other airlines.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by axpmaluga
Took a new job and will be doing a significant amount of international travel in paid business class. Will be living in Manhattan and trying to decide between United @ EWR, or Delta/American @ JFK.

Annual travel should look something like:
Sydney 2x year
Frankfurt 4x year
Sao Paulo 2-3x year
SFO 6x year

So, why should I (or shouldn't I) pick Delta?
What are your objectives from an airline/ffp?
  • Upgrades? (Effectively only on the airline of your ffp. Cross airline are much harder,if available)
  • Award flights for personal travel?
  • Other benefits?
Flying paid business class get most of the benefits of mid level status.
On those routes what airlines are suitable based on schedule/price/what ever? [post 11]
Sticking with 1 airline/ffp/alliance may not be the best outcome
Multiple airline/ffp/alliance may be a better outcome

The OP's 2 other threads on this topic (both closed) [Some useful comments]
Relocating to NYC - Sell Me on United
Relocating to NYC - Sell Me on American
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I still think AS MVPG75k as a valuable choice.

Take SQ JFK to frankfurt
QF to SYD
AS to SFO
AA or Latam to GRU

given you’re paid J you have all the benefits of status. Just focus on getting the most miles. Also you won’t be as bored to be flying same UA or DL plane all the time. Some variety is good. Plus tons of miles for award flights for leisure travel.
AceReport likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
With that amount of paid J, OP is looking at obtaining United Global Services or Delta 360. OP should definitely stick with one airline.

EWR-SJC is no more on UA.
JFK-SJC is a thing on DL, but I believe only once daily.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
OP did not say where in Manhattan they are going to be living. This matters.

Personally I just don't like UA and would go with DL. If you miss the nonstop to Frankfurt there are always very easy connections in AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.