Search

DL axing YYJ 2 Sept

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
DL axing YYJ 2 Sept

Not a big destination or deal for most but DL (regional) is axing YYJ service after 2 September.

https://www.timescolonist.com/busine...ort-1.23657251
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
That stinks. I will try to fly it this summer to help out the loads a bit
Maybe if it has good 2019 loads it might come back as a seasonal in 2020.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't see DL drawing down capacity at SEA. Maybe they are going to reallocate it to more profitable destinations. Also, there are rumors that CP will be dropped as a DL Connection carrier. Maybe they are going to reduce their regional flights and go more mainline out of SEA? Kinda curious.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I don't see DL drawing down capacity at SEA. Maybe they are going to reallocate it to more profitable destinations. Also, there are rumors that CP will be dropped as a DL Connection carrier. Maybe they are going to reduce their regional flights and go more mainline out of SEA? Kinda curious.
As a SEA based flyer, the biggest issue is capacity constraints. No gates, long taxi times and the minute there is a small wx/atc issue, delays compound. There will always be regional flights, but DL will be reducing frequency and upgauging a/c where they can, so they can continue to serve and expand to as many markets as they can. This also means cutting underperforming routes.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
DL already axed YEG from SEA. I actually like that since Alaska is returning to 3 x daily flights in September and I like AS more than DL on these flights.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wonder if Seattle isn’t going as smoothly as DL hoped. The logistics there always seemed incredibly challenging.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:02 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I wonder if Seattle isn’t going as smoothly as DL hoped. The logistics there always seemed incredibly challenging.
The airport is badly squeezed for space even after the added narrowbody gates in B, and it won't get much better for DL for a while. The current expansion work is, with the exception of the IAF, either Central Terminal improvements that don't add gates or added space in D and N (the AS end of the airport). I suspect there will be some shuffling of non-DL non-AS flights as AS moves into the new N that might free up some gates in A/B, but it won't help that much. I'm hoping that late 2020 will see some improvements with the new IAF opening.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
YYJ is a particularly rough destination, because there's no US preclearance there. That means YYJ flights are taking up baggage claim and immigration capacity at the already-bursting-at-the-seams international arrivals facility in Seattle.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see YYJ return once the new IAF is finished someday, particularly if Delta is able to migrate a fleet of smaller aircraft that are more appropriate for the route out here like the CR7.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cfabar1
What does 'isn't going as smoothly' mean, please?

The transborder market from YYJ is small and seasonal - about 300K passengers a year. I don't take this action as a proxy for other SEA demand in any way.
defrosted likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Isn't there a daily ferry service from Seattle to Victoria as an alternative to flying?

Also I can't imagine that an Island with a population less than a million is a great market because it connects to nothing.

Perhaps all the Delta @ Sea Tac doom and gloom is not entirely warranted?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by defrosted
Isn't there a daily ferry service from Seattle to Victoria as an alternative to flying?
Yes, the "clipper" a 3 hour run from Downtown to Downtown. And there's always the float planes from Lake Washington to Downtown Victoria provided that the weather is good (VFR rules). And there used to be helicopter service from Boeing Field. And then there's car ferry service from Port Angeles, WA, Anacortes, WA (seasonal) and Tsawwassen, BC.

That said, it is faster and easier to fly into YYJ from SEA. Trust me, I spent years on that commute and while the ferries offer a beautiful ride, it takes a long time. Alaska has several directs a day and adds more on season.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
...it is faster and easier to fly into YYJ from SEA....
Agreed, just pointing out, and you pointed out some more, there is plenty of competition. Delta canceling the service is probably more to do with competition and economic factors than any "issues" with Delta's SEA operations.

I agree that flying is more convenient, but there are people (probably not on FLYERtalk lol) that have a 4-6 hour rule where they prefer to drive than fly. Heck I worked with a guy that would drive 8 hours instead of flying.

Plus, due to the political orientation of the Island population, many have sworn off travelling to the US until you know who is no longer in you know which office. Not trying to get political but declining tourism from Victoria is more likely a factor than Delta's hub at SEA "not working out as planned".
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
There's been some talk of travel demand to/from Canada weakening. UA also cut SFO-YYJ recently and before DL cut YEG, AS also trimmed capacity. There are other markets where DL is adding capacity by deploying larger planes - SAN, PHX, ORD - all are examples. But I definitely think that DL has peaked in growth at SEA and they're just making adjustments based on business needs.
defrosted likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:54 pm

Do we know if this is permanent or will this flight become a summer only flight? YYJ must be a really seasonal destination for tourism.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
There's been some talk of travel demand to/from Canada weakening. UA also cut SFO-YYJ recently and before DL cut YEG, AS also trimmed capacity. There are other markets where DL is adding capacity by deploying larger planes - SAN, PHX, ORD - all are examples. But I definitely think that DL has peaked in growth at SEA and they're just making adjustments based on business needs.
I think DL still will expand when they have the ability to get more gates. I think the big question for them is how best to utilize their limited gate space at SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.