DL axing YYJ 2 Sept

Old Mar 12, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Delta really is shooting themselves in the foot with their Seattle operations IMO. They are getting a lot of people to connect through Seattle when it is not necessary or optimal. For instance I fly every month from BOS-PSC. I would prefer to Fly it BOS-MSP-PSC or BOS-SLC-PSC, but Delta regularly charges $50 extra each way for the MSP/SLC connection over the Seattle connection. It's almost like they're saying they really want to fill the PSC-SEA flights and SEA-BOS flights where they are competing more heavily with Alaska and (in the case of SEA-BOS) Jet Blue.
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I think that this is twofold. One Seattle is a mess right now. Terrible wait times for plane to get a gate, often get bus gates and the airport it seems is always delaying flights.

Second issue might just be WestJet's expansion. Westjet has really expanded in Victoria and is taking passengers from Victoria to many of the international US, Mexico and Caribbean locations. For many, couple the ease of just flying one-stop on Westjet to so many destinations through a nice airport like YVR or YYC or the mess of flying through Seattle, and I think they will likely choose Westjet.

Another threat to Delta at YYJ could be the introduction of ULCC with Jetlines hopefully coming soon.

Again, just my opinion. Also of interest, United is pulling out of Victoria as well after 10 years here in Victoria. United's once daily flight looks to be gone.

Last edited by smilee; Mar 12, 19 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by smilee View Post
I think that this is twofold. One Seattle is a mess right now. Terrible wait times for plane to get a gate, often get bus gates and the airport it seems is always delaying flights.

Second issue might just be WestJet's expansion. Westjet has really expanded in Victoria and is taking passengers from Victoria to many of the international US, Mexico and Caribbean locations. For many, couple the ease of just flying one-stop on Westjet to so many destinations through a nice airport like YVR or YYC or the mess of flying through Seattle, and I think they will likely choose Westjet.

Another threat to Delta at YYJ could be the introduction of ULCC with Jetlines hopefully coming soon.

Again, just my opinion. Also of interest, United is pulling out of Victoria as well after 10 years here in Victoria. United's once daily flight looks to be gone.
Have you had bus gates with DL flights at SEA? I have observed bus gates with other airlines at SEA where they have been parking planes near the hangars at the south end, but never had (nor seen) one with DL. I have been on DL flights using very obscure gates and have been dropped off on the ramp too. With the ridiculously long gate waits, it would be a very welcome change to have DL using them.
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoyô️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Have you had bus gates with DL flights at SEA? I have observed bus gates with other airlines at SEA where they have been parking planes near the hangars at the south end, but never had (nor seen) one with DL. I have been on DL flights using very obscure gates and have been dropped off on the ramp too. With the ridiculously long gate waits, it would be a very welcome change to have DL using them.
Port of Seattle told a tour group last fall that the use of bus gates is entirely optional and that itís up to the airline whether they are willing to accept it. Emirates was one airline that was cited as being unwilling to.

I believe DL does sparingly use bus gates. I think gate A20/A21/B20/B21 are makeshift bus gates, but donít quote me on that as Iíve fortunately never personally encountered it.
Old Mar 12, 19, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by BenA View Post

Port of Seattle told a tour group last fall that the use of bus gates is entirely optional and that itís up to the airline whether they are willing to accept it. Emirates was one airline that was cited as being unwilling to.

I believe DL does sparingly use bus gates. I think gate A20/A21/B20/B21 are makeshift bus gates, but donít quote me on that as Iíve fortunately never personally encountered it.
I guess I am unfortunate to never encountered it. My last flight from SLC, the wait for a gate was a few minutes shy of an hour. We were a few minutes ahead of scheduled arrival time and soon enough we arrived at a gate 45 minutes late. Not all the wait times are this long, but jeez, when my average wait is a half hour every other flight, give me a bus gate like civilized countries elsewhere in the world use, so I can get off the plane and go home.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by BenA View Post

I think theyíre common use gates and assigned based on availability and need by the Port? DL also owns a handful of gates (airbridges have DL marketing) in the A, B, and S concourses - none of which are bus gates.

Of course, planes arriving from YYJ have to get parked at S since the airport lacks customs preclearance.
Old Mar 13, 19, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
I guess I am unfortunate to never encountered it. My last flight from SLC, the wait for a gate was a few minutes shy of an hour. We were a few minutes ahead of scheduled arrival time and soon enough we arrived at a gate 45 minutes late. Not all the wait times are this long, but jeez, when my average wait is a half hour every other flight, give me a bus gate like civilized countries elsewhere in the world use, so I can get off the plane and go home.
I have had the bus gates a few times on DL in SEA, I have only ever had them in the early morning and it was only on E175s. I am not sure if they have the equipment to bus to larger aircraft (they used fixed ramps the times I have had them), which maybe aren't high enough for mainline aircraft? The buses always departed from a B gate for me (with a large number, like B21 or something, you go down the stairs to the B-train and the gates are halfway down on the right). They also boarded really early. They loaded up kind of south of the S-terminal. There were always 2 DL bus E175s loading up there, once there was an AS E175 too.
Old Mar 22, 19, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoyô️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guam17 View Post
I have had the bus gates a few times on DL in SEA, I have only ever had them in the early morning and it was only on E175s. I am not sure if they have the equipment to bus to larger aircraft (they used fixed ramps the times I have had them), which maybe aren't high enough for mainline aircraft? The buses always departed from a B gate for me (with a large number, like B21 or something, you go down the stairs to the B-train and the gates are halfway down on the right). They also boarded really early. They loaded up kind of south of the S-terminal. There were always 2 DL bus E175s loading up there, once there was an AS E175 too.
The ramps are capable for large widebodies, I believe. (IIRC, at least Norwegian, which operates a 787, uses them semi-regularly.) Port of Seattle is very proud of their ridiculously elaborate ramps with multiple switchbacks, which are apparently some of the first ADA-compliant bus gate ramps in the US. (I believe ADA compliance is why the US has managed to dodge bus gates for so long compared to foreign airports, but the gate availability situation was getting so dire at SEA that they were motivated to find a workaround.)
Old Mar 23, 19, 5:47 am

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
Do we know if this is permanent or will this flight become a summer only flight? YYJ must be a really seasonal destination for tourism.
Agents in YYJ say the station is closing permanently. A real shame. Both of my flights this week were completely full. Alaska will be the only one flying to anywhere in the United States come September. Crazy because YYJ has four nonstop destinations in Mexico!