Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skipping first leg - Delta / Air France - repercussions?

Skipping first leg - Delta / Air France - repercussions?

Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by KevinSFO
I have a similar situation on my SFO-LAX-PPT flight in July. I paid with $ at a great fare, but I have a seven hour connection at LAX. I called Delta and was told that changing to a later first flight would add about $700 to the price, despite the fact that I could buy a one-way SFO-LAX on DL at the desired time for about $130. It's really hard to find the logic in this stuff, but I'm sure someone in Delta Revenue Management has a spreadsheet which says this makes sense.
Your predicament is roughly the same as OP's. When you make a change to an inflexible ticket, you pay a change fee plus the fare difference. That might be cash, points, or miles.

In your case, the change you sought meant that there was a fee and likely that the fare for the ticket you now wanted cost more. If, by way of example, the change fee was $300 and a new ticket for the new route cost $400 more than what you had paid, you would need to pay $700.

Same issue for OP, if he wants to drop his SFO-LAX, he will pay the price for the new ticket LAX-PPT + fee + fare difference as of today.

If this was not the case, nobody in their right mind would pay for a flexible ticket.

The tradeoff for OP is that he got a dirt cheap price in return for an inconvenient itinerary.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by josephstern
You can always take the first flight and then fly right back to SFO. Spend the day up north and take something around 9 PM back down.

You just probably shouldn’t do these other flights on Delta.
I've had nested PNRs on Delta and it was not a problem, but they were not on the same day.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by wxman22
I've had nested PNRs on Delta and it was not a problem, but they were not on the same day.
It shouldn't be a problem if the flights are all on Delta. I presume there's no fare rule on the original ticket requiring a minimum layover time, so taking another round-trip during the layover wouldn't be attempting to evade a minimum stay requirement. Similarly, since none of the flights would overlap and OP would intend to fly them all, they're not impossible. Delta's computer systems seem to be the most forgiving of the big three in terms of overlapping flights to begin with, but even AA (who are very aggressive about detecting and cancelling overlapping flights) would allow this.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
The point being (for the cautious) that Delta's computers might get confused and cancel the leg to PPT. Regardless, I would not attempt to fly anywhere else, and instead leave LAX by transit for the day. Options:
Technically OP wouldn't have to return to SFO on DL. OP could easily fly down on the DL segment, and then return to SFO on AA, UA, WN, etc. and then return back to LAX on the same airline. The two risks here are if the initial SFO-LAX segment on DL gets delayed and OP ends up arriving late for the return back to SFO on the other airline and then again on the return if the OP's later SFO-LAX flight in the evening on another airline is delayed and OPT misses the LAX-PPT leg.

Personally I'd probably just use it as an opportunity to plane watch/photograph at In-N-Out all day, but that's just me.
Duke787 and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by KevinSFO
I have a similar situation on my SFO-LAX-PPT flight in July. I paid with $ at a great fare, but I have a seven hour connection at LAX. I called Delta and was told that changing to a later first flight would add about $700 to the price, despite the fact that I could buy a one-way SFO-LAX on DL at the desired time for about $130. It's really hard to find the logic in this stuff, but I'm sure someone in Delta Revenue Management has a spreadsheet which says this makes sense.
It makes perfect sense. You are buying a ticket for a city pair that includes a discount carrier. SFO-PPT is flown by French Bee and Delta needs to be competitive to that pricing in the city pair. French Bee does not serve LAX-PPT so tickets are priced accordingly.
surram and scubaccr like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxman22
Right - I've done it plenty between the outbound and inbound. No problems with Delta or other carriers.

But this is within the outbound entirely. I think that's a potentially dangerous scenario that I wouldn't try.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by josephstern
It would be too late, if that doesn't work.
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Very bad advice, gambling on a successful outcome of that strategy once the original flight has already left
I was trying to say that OP can give Delta a call now to drop the first leg, it is possible... I'm not asking OP to wait until missing first leg and then call Delta, that would be awful.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I do nested tickets all the time. Some years it represents 40%-80% of my travel. AF, KLM, LH, DL. Never had any issue.

To be on the safe side I would actually make sure I flew Delta for the nested part. There is always the risk but when on the same airline and 2 different PNR's they are much more likely to help you out. Fly AA or WN and Delta will point to the exit for sure.
jordyn, tvnwz and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

And on the reverse? If I drop the last leg - nothing they can do right? PPT-LAX-SFO. The LAX-SFO leg comes back the next day, I'm just gonna hop on WN and get back that same night.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
And on the reverse? If I drop the last leg - nothing they can do right? PPT-LAX-SFO. The LAX-SFO leg comes back the next day, I'm just gonna hop on WN and get back that same night.
This, I've done several times. No repercussions. But, in theory, yes, they could do something. It's a little similar to the United and Lufthansa attacks on skiplagging:

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/13/69435...-return-flight
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Lots of things they could in theory do/try, whether its to kick you out of their Frequent Flyer program, or send a bill to you or Chase for the ticket priced only to LAX, and threaten to take you to court. It is unclear/unlikely that they could enforce any claims on you.

However in practice you are very unlikely to be dragged into anything over this if you are an infrequent flyer of Delta/AF.
beagleflyer1977 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, DL could. But, for a one-off cheap ticket, they are beyond unlikely to bother. Just grab your bags at LAX and rather than rechecking post-CBP, head out of the airport.
beagleflyer1977 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

I gave up looking on EF, AA, and United for my dates. Went on UR and just plugged in the dates and saw RT for 38k to PPT, pretty awesome deal. In Economy, but still.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Technically...

Personally I'd probably just use it as an opportunity to plane watch/photograph at In-N-Out all day, but that's just me.
If was me I'd probably get a day use rate room at hotel. Other option, if an elite possibly just book a regular nightly rate and checkin early upon arrival to LAX in morning.

$120 is day rate at Hilton LAX and other Hilton family LAX locations.
film_girl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.