Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Business Class Suites, US to LHR, which route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Looking to get award ticket, business class from either DTW or JFK to LHR in June. Have option of going with VS or DL, wanted to know if any delta flight on these routes have business class suites? if not which one is better, delta or VS on this route?
Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Take a look at the seat maps and the aircraft type. You will find the new delta suites will have a special flag for "new flagship". As far as I know Delta is currently only operating the suites TATL on the DTW-AMS run. VS doesn't operate any suites and generally is considered a worse J product.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by hi55us
Take a look at the seat maps and the aircraft type. You will find the new delta suites will have a special flag for "new flagship". As far as I know Delta is currently only operating the suites TATL on the DTW-AMS run. VS doesn't operate any suites and generally is considered a worse J product.
DL also operates suites TATL on MSP-CDG.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Only transatlantic routes with Delta One Suites are

ATL-CDG
MSP-CDG
DTW-AMS
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
While the seat is decent, the "suite" is more of a gimmick than anything. I wouldn't go out of my way for it
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
The hard product on the DL 330's beats the VS hard product, but I prefer the soft product on VS. Both food and service.
I tend to take DL heading to Europe, since I will mostly be sleeping, and VS back to North America since I will be awake and can enjoy the service more.

The "suites" are really not much better than the existing 332 and 333 hard product on DL. And the A350 suites, with no air vents in the non-window seats, is a big negative.
Duke787 and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Believe DTW is still the 763 on this route while JFK and ATL are both A330s which are significantly better. The downside IMO is JFKLHR is way too short if you are looking for an experience and a decent sleep though you get Clubhouse access which is nice.

If having the experience onboard is the goal I'd route via ATL for maximum A330 time.

That said if doing award tickets I would take the cheapest D1 option since it's a relatively short flight over spending additional miles for a specific routing (unless you have unlimited miles).
M2578Z likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Duke787
Believe DTW is still the 763 on this route while JFK and ATL are both A330s which are significantly better.
I checked a week in June and found both a 767 and 332 on DTW-LHR.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks you all for help. Based on IND, I will probably go with Delta direct from DTW since VS from JFK does not seem to be better.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ziqch
Looking to get award ticket, business class from either DTW or JFK to LHR in June. Have option of going with VS or DL, wanted to know if any delta flight on these routes have business class suites? if not which one is better, delta or VS on this route?
Thanks
Remember that aircraft types can change between now and June. I wouldn't pay a lot more or take a much less convenient schedule just in hope of getting a suite.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hi55us
Unfortunately this is only partially true. "New Flagship" only applies to the A359..the refurbed 777ER/LR have suites but are not marked as flagship. The tool will show "Delta One Suites" in the D1 column, though.

Will be interesting to see what happens to that flagship designation when most of the widebody fleet is Suites/Premium Select. 777, 764, 359, 339....especially given the ridiculous premium they were charging for the suites when they first rolled out.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ziqch
Thanks
If you are trying to use an award ticket avoid the hubs, DL has several direct LHR flights from east coast cities.
Justin026 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've been on both Delta One and VS Upper Class within the past 12 months. Here's some comparisons:

Seat: On DL, I was on both the 767-300 (9 rows of D1) and 330-300. On VS, I was on the 330-300 with 1-1-1 seating. The seat on Delta is easier to operate and is a bit more comfortable overall, although on VS there is a mattress pad in addition to a covering. DL involves placing your lower legs and feet into a "footwell"; on VS, the seat is at roughly a 45 degree angle to the window, and your feet are open.

AVOD: DL generally has a better system with more programming choices than the "Vera" system on VS, although on our trip which involved ATL-MUC-ATL, the video touchscreens didn't work properly (and we were on different aircraft for each direction).

Food: DL's food was not very good; my wife was disgusted with what she was served in both directions on the MUC trip. My filet of beef on the return was as tender as a block of wood. On my VS trip LHR-JFK, my filet of beef was quite tender and delicious.

Beverages: Delta had both Woodford Reserve bourbon and Grey Goose vodka in miniatures. VS serves hard liquor in J from full bottles; its American whiskey was Gentleman Jack. It too serves Grey Goose. Delta's wines are supposedly hand picked by the Queen of Cuvees, the Princess of Plonk, the Master Sommelier herself, Andrea Robinson. VS claims to get its wine selections from London wine merchants Berry Bros. & Rudd (the firm on the label of Cutty Sark). I think both airlines were serving Lanson champagne. The best beverage I put in my mouth on either airline was the Port that Delta served eastbound ATL-MUC. Delta was also serving Bitburger beer westbound MUC-ATL. VS has London Pride in addition to Heineken and Tiger (Singaporean beer brewed by Heineken).

Bar: VS has a three seater bar at the rear of the J cabin, which I happen to enjoy. DL does not have this feature on its planes.

Flight Attendants: We were lucky enough to be served by great crews on both Delta and VS, so this was a wash.

Pre-flight lounges: The LHR Clubhouse is the best airline lounge to which I can get admitted; VS's clubhouses in JFK and IAD are nice, although not as expansive as LHR. DL is renovating the JFK T4 SkyClub, and the Sky Deck is closed to the public at the present time. As much as we like the ATL Concourse F SkyClub with Skydeck (which is open), the bar is basic and the food turns me off.

Post-flight lounge: Landside at LHR T3 there is the "Revivals" lounge which features English breakfasts and hot showers. I was there last month, and I really enjoyed it. There are showers in JFK Skyclubs in both T2 and T4.

Hope this helps.
ijgordon and cmginc like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
ND76’s post above is a good overview and comparison of the options.

I just want to add that the various pre- and post-flight lounges are open to passengers in either DL D1 or VS UC on flights between the US and UK, so they should not be a factor in deciding which airline to fly.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
ND76’s post above is a good overview and comparison of the options.
Yes, although I disagree on DL's food, I've had a handful of J flights in the last couple years and it's almost always been quite good catering. Also, the wine selection to LHR (and CDG) is better than other routes. E.g., the bubbly was Charles Heidesieck recently, IIRC.
I have upcoming VS flights (though on a 346 ) and I haven't flown them in about 10 years, so looking forward to refreshing my own comparative views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.