Skyclub conference calls

Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mridley2
I think the point is that most loud people on conference calls in public spaces WANT to be heard. Along the lines of DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM? If not, you can listen to this conference call I am on. I'm so important look at me discussing all these seemingly high level things.Take note sky clubbers. i'm a big F**King deal.
Exactly. These tools think they are cool and do this purposely.

I remember a few years ago some guy yakking next to me on a conference call. I said "yo pal, ya mind??".
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I need an app on my phone to play an audio of a toilet flushing near the offender. Perhaps they might reconsider if their meeting attendees keep hearing flushing noises.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
I need an app on my phone to play an audio of a toilet flushing near the offender. Perhaps they might reconsider if their meeting attendees keep hearing flushing noises.
Based on my office alone, that won't do anything.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You don’t need an app. Just go into any airport bathroom and there’s bound to be a guy on the phone taking a dump.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:27 pm

I’m going to buy one of those bluetooth speakers that look like a guitar amp. Going to have all of my conference calls on that. #BossLevel

(kidding)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by freQ
I’m going to buy one of those bluetooth speakers that look like a guitar amp. Going to have all of my conference calls on that. #BossLevel

(kidding)
I was thinking about getting a tripod for my phone and have all of my conference calls on Skype, via interpretive dance!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by indufan
Start imagining it because most don't.
Just use the cone of silence. If they don't have it, use hover-cover.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by emrdoc
Thanks for sharing. Made my day.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I like it
^
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:04 pm

While I do find it annoying I have had some great stock tips broadcast on speakerphone. Not actual tips but detailed confidential information that allowed me to make a decision either to buy or sell.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had a call I had to be on that was primarily listen-only for me, from a very busy common area of a major domestic SkyClub. One of my colleauges on the other end of the call just couldn't understand why I wasn't answering a particularly thorny HR-related question about one of my direct reports, and was thus questioning my judgement. I'm like "man, I am sitting in a room full of strangers and while none of them care, can this NOT wait until tomorrow?"

When I feel badly is when I have to talk to some of my analysts and there is just no vacant place and I've already passed security. That happened to me in the Admirals Club in AUS a few weeks ago, as I forgot that the BA flight was leaving an hour later and thus the club was as jam-packed as all the gatehouses. Nothing confidential, it's just that nobody around me needs to hear about the size of the GIS shape buffer around the lat/long of the truck stops on I-40.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I had a call I had to be on that was primarily listen-only for me, from a very busy common area of a major domestic SkyClub. One of my colleauges on the other end of the call just couldn't understand why I wasn't answering a particularly thorny HR-related question about one of my direct reports, and was thus questioning my judgement. I'm like "man, I am sitting in a room full of strangers and while none of them care, can this NOT wait until tomorrow?"

When I feel badly is when I have to talk to some of my analysts and there is just no vacant place and I've already passed security. That happened to me in the Admirals Club in AUS a few weeks ago, as I forgot that the BA flight was leaving an hour later and thus the club was as jam-packed as all the gatehouses. Nothing confidential, it's just that nobody around me needs to hear about the size of the GIS shape buffer around the lat/long of the truck stops on I-40.
It may not be comfortable, but you could always hold the phone to your ear.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick

Text! You're right, nobody needs to hear your boring business. The SC isn't your office. If you can't do it by email or text, just wait until you're back in the office. The business world worked perfectly well without constant connectivity and I'd be shocked if your business couldn't wait.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
It may not be comfortable, but you could always hold the phone to your ear.
I had my headphones on, which have a microphone. So at least I could talk as softly and as little as possible, and use the chat within GoToMeeting to say more.

Still, I had the "am I THAT guy?" feeling.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This is a tough one -- I try to schedule my calls around my travel schedule so this doesn't happen but it doesn't always work like that, especially if you are about to step on a long flight (especially TCON/TATL/TPAC). If work is paying for me to travel somewhere there's an expectation that I'm available during the course of my travels.

Of course that doesn't mean one should be divulging confidential information or screaming loudly. I try to find the quiet corners but in some SCs it's just not possible (RDU is particularly challenging during busy times because the cubicle area is still pretty open and the rest of the SC is pretty compact -- and I often need to hop on a call at the end of the day when I've timed to take the post-work flight but need to get to the airport with time to park and make it through security).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.