Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclub conference calls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Sat beside a fellow at the Skyclub the other day, he proceed to do a full sales demo of his software over the phone and screen share.

I considered giving him some constructive criticism when he was through.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
You don't handle conference calls in public. Ever.

If the club has a meeting room then feel free to do it in there. But the rest of us do not want to hear it and I will do everything I can to have them throw you out.

I'll never forget a nauseating conference call by a redneck government contractor in the old Business Elite lounge on E. He was on his way to Ba-ha-ran. 😒
hockeystl and enviroian like this.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Mar 6, 2019 at 8:36 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Sky Clubs should have phone booths like some open space shared offices have, for private conversations. Here's an example:
or

Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
Wow. That's straight up malpractice. With clear and intentional disclosure like that, client-attorney privilege has been (in essence) voluntarily revoked for whatever content was discussed. Hope it wasn't a serious case.
He was speaking with the Defendants' mother. Generally, any discussion with the Defendants' mother would not be considered privileged.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:54 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I’ve heard everything from people making reservations and loudly reading out their credit card details, to a woman sobbing while trying to get her husband back after a noisy disagreement. All of this was while sitting on planes awaiting pushback from the gate! It’s crazy how people think they’re the only one in their area when they carry on conversations.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by spamkiller
He was speaking with the Defendants' mother. Generally, any discussion with the Defendants' mother would not be considered privileged.
True very broadly, but plenty of exclusions would make conversations with a parent (or any third party) privileged assuming certain criteria are met. No idea whether they were met in this case (possibly not), but there are no criteria that would make something discussed openly in a SkyClub privileged.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
One day I was waiting for a shower at ATL F and overheard a job interview where the guy was bragging to his young candidate about stealing another's company's IP. Not too good to be sharing that info in public I would say.

You never know who is around, and it is a small world. Oh, and don't steal IP.

Kinda put that kid in an awkward situation, eh?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
The AA clubs (at least in DFW) have a workstation/cubicle area. I've taken a few calls over there when needed (using a headset and speaking quietly). Do other airline clubs not have this?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I can’t imagine that other airports don’t also have such facilities.
Start imagining it because most don't.
sky303 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Many of us have conference calls that are mostly listen only. Use a headset. When you need to speak, there is no need to SHOUT.
HDQDD and Ryno1234 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
Not sure if this is meant to be a complaint or what.

Unfortunately there aren't really any good places to take conference calls at an airport. At outstations I usually try to sneak into a deserted gate house and take a call there. Otherwise, best I can do is try to find the quietest corner in the SkyClub and talk as quietly as I can.

I agree that you need to be cognizant of what you say in public spaces - this is not just true in SkyClubs but everywhere. I have heard more than once people talking about things that would very clearly be restricted material non-public information (i.e. the stuff that moves stock prices) - and frankly folks entrusted with that sort of information should know better.

Given the amount of time spent in airports, and the difficulty of managing to folk's schedules, it is difficult to avoid calls completely (which would be optimal).
So let me get this straight. You find the *quietest* place to make a phone call, therefore making it *not* quiet? I hope you mean, you find a place where no one is around?

Not sure if I am laughing or crying reading this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by zitsky
So let me get this straight. You find the *quietest* place to make a phone call, therefore making it *not* quiet? I hope you mean, you find a place where no one is around?

Not sure if I am laughing or crying reading this.
Yes, the implication of "quiet" is that there is no one around. Humans make noise, even when trying to be quiet.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by bchandler02
The AA clubs (at least in DFW) have a workstation/cubicle area. I've taken a few calls over there when needed (using a headset and speaking quietly). Do other airline clubs not have this?
Some newer AA clubs (BOS) and Centurion Lounges (PHL) have phone booths inside the club that typically seat one or two people.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by flyerCO
or

Why do we use the cone of silence, it NEVER works!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
You can use headphones and your very quiet indoor voice and nobody will know you're on a conference call. Seriously people, it's not difficult to carry on your professional business and feel all important without imposing your business on all around you. If you're not prepared to do this, then clearly you're not prepared to work while in transit and you should just wait until you arrive at your destination. Your failure to plan is really not Delta's problem.
I think the point is that most loud people on conference calls in public spaces WANT to be heard. Along the lines of DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM? If not, you can listen to this conference call I am on. I'm so important look at me discussing all these seemingly high level things.Take note sky clubbers. i'm a big F**King deal.
jdrtravel and readywhenyouare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.