Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclub conference calls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Yeah, just some people don't know how to be descreit, use quiet "inside" voices, or speak in code where its not so blantent to other people in surrounding areas.

In just the past few weeks in SC I have overhead the following in very open dialogue:

- Salaries of doctors for a regional hospital system
- A former employee at a manufacturing plant who committed suicide after calling out his former boss
- Potential M&A deals between relatively large tech companies
- What some lady was going to do to her bf's <eggplant> when she got home for the weekend

I mean no different than anywhere else I suppose but yeah a lot of people dont use any discretion.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
In just the past few weeks in SC I have overhead the following in very open dialogue:
- What some lady was going to do to her bf's <eggplant> when she got home for the weekend.
Oh and no one wants to hear that....
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You don't handle conference calls in public. Ever.

If the club has a meeting room then feel free to do it in there. But the rest of us do not want to hear it and I will do everything I can to have them throw you out.

This is so unrealistic. I try to avoid scheduling calls when I'm in airports but sometimes it's unavoidable.

I do use my normal indoor voice though and I never have trouble being heard. I always use wired earbuds so I can bring the mic very close to my mouth if needed.
People shouting into bluetooth earpieces are disrespectful and should be thrown out.

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Text! You're right, nobody needs to hear your boring business. The SC isn't your office. If you can't do it by email or text, just wait until you're back in the office. The business world worked perfectly well without constant connectivity and I'd be shocked if your business couldn't wait.
The business world in 2019 is different than it was in the past. That's just the reality of the situation. I'm not happy about it but it's the word we work in. Companies do more with less people working more hours.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mridley2
I think the point is that most loud people on conference calls in public spaces WANT to be heard. Along the lines of DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM? If not, you can listen to this conference call I am on. I'm so important look at me discussing all these seemingly high level things.Take note sky clubbers. i'm a big F**King deal.
I think this is a pretty common misconception.

If I'm on a call in the airport instead of drinking and reading it's because I'm one of the less important people involved.

If I were important the calls would be scheduled around my travel, not without a regard to it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdix
While I do find it annoying I have had some great stock tips broadcast on speakerphone. Not actual tips but detailed confidential information that allowed me to make a decision either to buy or sell.

and that was the point of my original post. It really wasn’t a complaint, more of a PSA. Even if you think they aren’t, people are listening and saying the wrong thing could actually get you in trouble ( I know a man who had all kinds of HR problems for loudly discussing personnel issues in the Admirals Club. Friends of the person he trashed heard his inappropriate sexist comments, recorded part of the conversation and reported him)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity

If I'm on a call in the airport instead of drinking and reading it's because I'm one of the less important people involved.

If I were important the calls would be scheduled around my travel, not without a regard to it.
That is so true. I always figured up the higher I got that people might schedule things to my calendar.

Instead I keep getting invited to things with more higher-ups where I continue to be the little guy in the room/call. Never based on my schedule.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Calls are a must-do, for anyone traveling during the workday.

That said, you can do it while being VERY QUIET and most of all, STAY IN PLACE, while on your call, so that I can get up and move AWAY FROM YOU and STAY away from you.

The next jackass who paces back and forth from end to end of the sky club -- effectively crop-dusting the entire unlucky sky club population with his noise - is getting a kick in the nuts, from me. These pacers -- they are the absolute worst. You know they think their call is so damn important too, just like they think THEY are. Good odds this same animal is using his speakerphone and speaking into it like a mic, instead of holding the phone up to his ear. Awful.

Btw I think it's perfectly acceptable to shush people who are too loud on the phone and I do it very often. Awkward moment? Sure is. Next time pipe down.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

I also believe there is a certain percentage of people who are just oblivious.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity

If you are less important then what the hell are you doing in my SkyClub?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by marcworld
...That said, you can do it while being VERY QUIET and most of all, STAY IN PLACE, while on your call, so that I can get up and move AWAY FROM YOU and STAY away from you.

The next jackass who paces back and forth from end to end of the sky club -- effectively crop-dusting the entire unlucky sky club population with his noise - is getting a kick in the nuts, from me. These pacers -- they are the absolute worst. ...
Great points! I am really annoyed by the oblivious folks talking loudly while walking around, or just projecting their loud voice straight at me. When I really need to take a call in a public place, I try to use my quiet voice and speak into a corner rather than straight at some poor guy in a nearby chair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.