Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any opinions on KLM 787 vs DL 330 in C+?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM

Now that I am a Fallen Diamond with no more GUCs C+ has become very important to me

So I am planning a trip and can either do the AMS-LAX leg on KLM in a 787 or on the Delta 330. I'm very familiar with the DL 330 (much prefer it over the 767s) but the KLM routing gives me a much better connection. I know the 787 seat is a tad narrower. I've never been on a 787 so there is some attraction there. I always go for an aisle seat in the center section if that makes a difference.

I guess there would be a chance of a Miles+Cash upgrade on KLM -- if they haven't killed that by May.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Just did the KLM 787 in 10A Saturday from PVG-AMS. I would agree, the seat is narrower then the A330, but I feel more refreshed after flying a 787. I’ve also sat in a center section aisle on another flight and at 5’6” the legroom was good. Service is essentially the same, day to day differences of course seen.

If it was me, I’d probably lean toward the 787 with the better feeling post flight and more convenient schedule. If some additional seat width and leather seats make a bigger difference go with the A330 on DL.

PS - compare your MQD earning between the two also. If ticket price is the same, booking direct with KLM may yield a much better MQD return depending on fare class.

PSS - I scored an upgrade from AMS-PVG with miles just over a week too. As a DL Diamond I was provided two options: cash or skymiles. Cash was 699 euros, cash with miles I saw but were insane. Pure skymiles offer was 40K miles; this was a U fare so for me was a great value. YMMV.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm a "Wavier Baby" so I don't track MQDs that much (which is why I am a Fallen Diamond)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Is food important?

Most of the comments have centered on the physical advantages of one a/c over the other. The food may (or may not) be important to the OP. As a veteran of many TATL flights in Y and both DL and KL, my opinion is that the main meal (eastbound) is far superior on DL, especially the chilled salad options. Main meal on KL is usually mediocre at best. However, the breakfast on KL usually surpasses the "breakfast snack box" that DL provides. I've gotten omlettes and sausage from KL (mass produced but still tasty) while DL has provided a box containing a stale croissant, a piece of Tillamook cheese, and a mint. So it depends on what is important to the OP.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecaarch
Most of the comments have centered on the physical advantages of one a/c over the other. The food may (or may not) be important to the OP. As a veteran of many TATL flights in Y and both DL and KL, my opinion is that the main meal (eastbound) is far superior on DL, especially the chilled salad options. Main meal on KL is usually mediocre at best. However, the breakfast on KL usually surpasses the "breakfast snack box" that DL provides. I've gotten omlettes and sausage from KL (mass produced but still tasty) while DL has provided a box containing a stale croissant, a piece of Tillamook cheese, and a mint. So it depends on what is important to the OP.
The food is not that important to me -- I don't get excited about it when I am in D1. I usually travel with some "emergency rations" -- usually for those times I wake up at 3am local time and my body insists it is time to eat For me it is mostly its about the seat comfort and the amount of personal space. The Delta 330 C+ is a known benchmark for me and it sounds like the KLM 787 C+ is roughly comparable -- not drastically worse and not drastically better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.