FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Will there be a Delta and Hilton partnership? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1959517-will-there-delta-hilton-partnership.html)

CoMooter Mar 6, 2019 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jma12 (Post 30854363)
It looks like Hyatt is link to AA now:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericros...w-partnership/

so the only options left are Hilton and perhaps IHG. I wouldn't mind Hilton, as you can easily get their status via Amex cc, and then get benefits on DL. Hopefully they will also have improve transfer rate, but I highly doubt it.

Personally, I like IHG FWIW even though it is not the most exciting in terms of ‘aspirational’ properties or treatment of even top tier elites...although as a Spire with them I have noticed decent upgrades picking up a bit as of late with them. I still have issues with Hilton’s dreadful performance during the Blackrock buyout/devaluation well over a decade ago, and this long time former Diamond (which they trashed as well) never really went back as a result.

But, for a tie up, Hilton makes the most sense domestically in the US - as well as internationally towards the higher ends...my guess (since Hilton gives this status away already) Diamond DL = Diamond HH.

Makes sense and will be a marketing ‘coup’ in terms of naming.

ethernal Mar 6, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by CoMooter (Post 30856154)
But, for a tie up, Hilton make the most sense domestically in the US - as well as internationally towards the higher ends...my guess (since Hilton gives this status away already) Diamond DL = Diamond HH.

Makes sense and will be a marketing ‘coup’ in terms of naming.

Highly unlikely given that Delta would not be able to reciprocate the Hilton Diamond Status with Diamond of their own. At best they would hand out Silver (similar to what United does with Marriott).

Back when Delta had the SPG partnership, they didn't even grant Silver - just "silver-like" benefits.

ethernal Mar 6, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30854263)
Hyatt doesn't have anywhere near enough properties. AA is welcome to them. Certainly not all of Hilton's properties are aspirational - pretension alert - but it's got more than 7x the property count of Hyatt.

IHG?

This is true, but the larger the program, the less generous the benefits. Hyatt (or, to a lesser extent, Starwood) are/were better fits because it was more difficult to be loyal to those programs than the Big Three (Marriott, Hilton, IHG - intentionally excluding Choice and Wyndham given the market they cater to). When you are a clear leader you have less need for a partnership. With the Hyatt-AA partnership, I would be more likely to stay at a Hyatt if there is no availability for my preferred chain(s).

pbarnette Mar 6, 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30854263)
Hyatt doesn't have anywhere near enough properties. AA is welcome to them. Certainly not all of Hilton's properties are aspirational - pretension alert - but it's got more than 7x the property count of Hyatt.

IHG?

Agreed. I happen to really like a lot of Hyatt properties and think they do a markedly better job at brand consistency than the others, but they have a relatively tiny network.

jamesteroh Mar 6, 2019 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 30854588)
Don't forget about Wyndham!

Well, they do have a lot of properties...

One nice thing about Wyndham is they have a status match program/partnership with Harrahs. I rarely stay with Wyndhams but there is a property in West Hollywood where there is no other competition and it's great getting Wyndham benefits and bonus points when I stay there.

CoMooter Mar 6, 2019 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30856166)
Highly unlikely given that Delta would not be able to reciprocate the Hilton Diamond Status with Diamond of their own. At best they would hand out Silver (similar to what United does with Marriott).

Back when Delta had the SPG partnership, they didn't even grant Silver - just "silver-like" benefits.

Agreed.

In return for HH Diamonds - DL Silver will be the max that can be expected to be given...doubt they would give away ST Elite Plus with Gold as DL gets charged for those benefits being used globally...especially since HH Diamond is so easy to get already...

jamesteroh Mar 6, 2019 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by CoMooter (Post 30856938)

Agreed.

In return for HH Diamonds - DL Silver will be the max that can be expected to be given...doubt they would give away ST Elite Plus with Gold as DL gets charged for those benefits being used globally...especially since HH Diamond is so easy to get already...

Agree, Hilton diamond is much easier to get than SPG Platinum (or even gold), all you need is a credit card for the status. They would probably do what they did with SPG and just let them go on the upgade list after silvers and maybe give a free checked bag and allow them to board with zone 2 and throw in some Hilton points. Not sure what benefit Hilton could give out to non-status Hilton/Delta Diamonds since they don't even give their own diamonds a 4 p.m. checkout and the status is so easy to get anyway with Hilton.

Beano Mar 7, 2019 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 30852346)
If you want Gold badly enough you can just pay AMEX $95 bucks/year as it stands today

how much extra to buy a "green card" so you can be a resident to qualify for the Hilton credit card :-(

micstatic Mar 7, 2019 3:24 am

I personally see very little value in my hotel status. Hilton Gold. I guess it's nice accruing points at a higher rate, but I don't see any other value.

fliesdelta Mar 7, 2019 4:36 am

Originally Posted by micstatic (Post 30857656)
I personally see very little value in my hotel status. Hilton Gold. I guess it's nice accruing points at a higher rate, but I don't see any other value.

Doesn't Gold give you breakfast and lounge access?

micstatic Mar 7, 2019 5:17 am

I think it gives free breakfast. But since I'm traveling on business I go for the double points usually. I don't think it gives you lounge access though. I could be wrong. But quite frankly I've never been impressed with hotel lounges.

dilbertsdaddy Mar 7, 2019 6:34 am

Hilton - good treatment but crap redemptions
IHG - good redemption's but inconsistent elite treatment (I was spire for two years and did not even notice, back to Plat now)

DeltaFirst Mar 7, 2019 7:19 am

As a Spire I was upgraded a few years back at a Holiday Inn in Vanuatu to over the water bungalows. The manager told me they didn't see very many Spires so to him it was a big deal. I travel all over the world, I get treated fairly well at most IHG properties.

jamesteroh Mar 7, 2019 8:11 am

Originally Posted by micstatic (Post 30857884)
I think it gives free breakfast. But since I'm traveling on business I go for the double points usually. I don't think it gives you lounge access though. I could be wrong. But quite frankly I've never been impressed with hotel lounges.

Gold used to give you automatic lounge access many years ago before they start giving the status away. If a gold is upgraded to the exec level (Hilton will still upgrade gold's to exec level Hyatt and Marriott only their highest tier) then you get lounge access and a couple properties will still give golds access to the lounge even if they aren't on an exec floor since that is where the breakfast is.

The lounges in the US aren't great and in fact Hilton is closing some of the US ones. Outside North America they are great. Many have happy hours with free booze and the Hilton in Lima you wouldn't even have to eat outside the hotel, they had enough for full meals all day.

hi55us Mar 7, 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30852542)
Hilton's incredibly weak destination/luxury offerings are a deal breaker for any kind of real interest in staying at their hotels.

Really? I mean the new WA Maldives looks fantastic...