Wheelchair for outgoing in Atlanta?

Old Mar 4, 19, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Wheelchair for outgoing in Atlanta?

I am dropping my 78 y/o mother off at Atlanta Airport tomorrow and am kind of worried about what to do once I get there. She cannot walk more than 10 feet or so a time and needs a wheelchair. I requested that service when I made her reservation with Delta. When her driver dropped her off at SFO, on the way out here, he called ahead and they had a wheelchair waiting as he dropped her off. I don't know if this means SFO or Delta personnel. Anyone have any ideas of whether I should call Delta (DM desk) ahead of time or of I should try to find some kind of number for the airport? I'll be alone and park in the Gold Reserve parking but she would not be able to walk from there and I don't just want to drop her off and tell her to go inside and sit, or if there are even seats right by the door as I never go in that way. Being a DM/MM it's weird to have such a rudimentary question about flying/airports! lol
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
https://www.delta.com/us/en/accessib...vices/overview
Do people still not know about google/search engines? Ha
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 View Post
https://www.delta.com/us/en/accessib...vices/overview
Do people still not know about google/search engines? Ha
Well I didn't need to Google as I knew where to go on Delta.com for wheelchair information. That section gives no information for the issue that I'll have and their CS number for wheelchair service has been unreachable or, when I've opted for a callback, one has not been received. (Last call was almost 4 hours ago, with a 55 minute hold time or a 44 minute "callback" time...still not received until...). Received the callback as I was drafting this.

For those of you who have this predicament, here is the information, posted without vitriol: Pull up near the curbside baggage drop off and flag down one of the agents. They will go and request a wheelchair be brought out to the curb. I asked her about the APD and standing at the curb while we waited for the wheelchair. She said she has never heard of anyone having a problem with them if they are informed a wheelchair is coming.
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:45 am
Suspended

Wink

Originally Posted by mfullmer View Post

For those of you who have this predicament, here is the information, posted without vitriol: Pull up near the curbside baggage drop off and flag down one of the agents. They will go and request a wheelchair be brought out to the curb. I asked her about the APD and standing at the curb while we waited for the wheelchair. She said she has never heard of anyone having a problem with them if they are informed a wheelchair is coming.
I knew you could do it! You just needed the proper poke.
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
At least in the US/CANADA this is standard at an airport regardless of airline. Ask a skycap or any other employee of the airline and they'll get a wheelchair. Some airports will have a phone number posted on a sign. Regardless police understand as getting someone in/out of car and into a wheelchair means you're actively unloading. If you park in the garage, you can call the airport and they'll get someone from your airline out with a chair.
mfullmer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 View Post

I knew you could do it! You just needed the proper poke.
You're kidding me, right? I had called/left call-back requests several times before I made the post and then received a call-back, finally after. But go ahead and think you gave me the idea, platinum. Anything to make you feel important.
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:57 am
Original Poster

"At least in the US/CANADA this is standard at an airport regardless of airline. Ask a skycap or any other employee of the airline and they'll get a wheelchair. Some airports will have a phone number posted on a sign. Regardless police understand as getting someone in/out of car and into a wheelchair means you're actively unloading. If you park in the garage, you can call the airport and they'll get someone from your airline out with a chair."

I've never gone to the airport with someone who needs a wheelchair before. My mother has only come out from SFO to visit me a handful of times and this is the first time when she's needed a wheelchair start to finish. They wheeled her out to my car in the Gold Reserve area on arrival but, I didn't think about dropping her off until yesterday and wondered about the logistics.

Last edited by mfullmer; Mar 4, 19 at 12:01 pm Reason: add quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

I'm kind of glad I don't follow these boards as much as I did when I first became a DM. Are there any questions asked here that aren't met by lower medallions with sarcasm and vitriol? Asking for a world of people who don't [think they] know everything about every subject...
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:23 pm
Suspended

I'm kind of glad I don't follow these boards as much as I did when I first became a DM. Are there any questions asked here that aren't met by lower medallions with sarcasm and vitriol? Asking for a world of people who don't [think they] know everything about every subject...
Haha. No where in your first post do you say you have tried calling several times etc. you ask if there is a number or should you call the DM line. Nice try attempting to defend your incompetence. With regards to your elitism comments about me being a lowly PM, I don’t even know where you are trying to go with that. I will let you know one thing though. No way this lowly PM would be leaving his 75 year old wheelchair bound mother to the mercy of airport wheelchair personnel. I may only be a PM, but I am an awesome, caring son. To bad your DM choice benefits did not include that selection for you. Even though I do believe you would have chosen the GUCs.

P.S. You could have just said thank you for providing you with the information you required. Avoiding all this vitriol, as you say.

Last edited by flying_donkeys12; Mar 4, 19 at 12:29 pm
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

^^^^And my point is proven. I don't miss the napoleon complexes at all.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:32 pm
Suspended

^^^^And my point is proven. I don't miss the napoleon complex's at all.
Now I am short?! Geez, my day just keeps getting worse.
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Folks, This thread is now closed.

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines
mfullmer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: