Wiki Posts
Search

Paid upgrade to F worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Paid upgrade to F worth it?

Hello, I suppose I am the only one who can really answer my question but I am interested in your input. I am flying DL MKE-DTW-PHX in F. I am in Economy Comfort (or whatever it’s called now) on the way back PHX-MSP-MKE. I got an offer to upgrade PHX-MSP in F for $299. I am tempted because the seats on this route are lie-flat and that would be nice. It’s about a three hour flight which isn’t long. So what are your thoughts....is the extra $299 I would be paying worth it? Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
I am confused as to why you did not purchase F for the entire trip? Were you upgraded on the outbound and fear you will not receive an upgrade on the return? Are you trying to save some money and this is why you purchased your ticket this way? If you just want an opinion on if you think this is a good value, then I would say no. A lie flat seat is nice on an 9+ hr journey, but for 3 hrs I would not waste my money on a better seat that you really will not have the time to enjoy. I would definitely not do it for the food.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
Hello, I suppose I am the only one who can really answer my question but I am interested in your input. I am flying DL MKE-DTW-PHX in F. I am in Economy Comfort (or whatever it’s called now) on the way back PHX-MSP-MKE. I got an offer to upgrade PHX-MSP in F for $299. I am tempted because the seats on this route are lie-flat and that would be nice. It’s about a three hour flight which isn’t long. So what are your thoughts....is the extra $299 I would be paying worth it? Thanks!
As you said, this is highly subjective. I'm not particularly tall, just 5'11", and I'm not all that uncomfortable in C+, so I wouldn't pay $299 for a three hour flight. Yet, others will jump at the chance to try lie-flat seats.

Last edited by fliesdelta; Mar 5, 2019 at 5:37 am Reason: corrected typo
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
I am confused as to why you did not purchase F for the entire trip? Were you upgraded on the outbound and fear you will not receive an upgrade on the return? Are you trying to save some money and this is why you purchased your ticket this way? If you just want an opinion on if you think this is a good value, then I would say no. A lie flat seat is nice on an 9+ hr journey, but for 3 hrs I would not waste my money on a better seat that you really will not have the time to enjoy. I would definitely not do it for the food.
I did not purchase a full F flight because that would have been $600 more than what I paid for F going and main cabin coming back. So yes, I wanted to save some money. Thank you for your input; I appreciate it. I agree with you that 3 hours really isn’t enough time to get use out of a lie-flat seat.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn't bite at that price, and I'm tall. C+ is fine for 3 hours. I would consider using a RUC though, because that might get you upgraded the whole way.
jaimemayo and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
As you said, this is highly subjective. I'm not particularly tall, just 5'11", and I'm not all that uncomfortable in C+, so I wouldn't pay $299 for a three hour flight. Yet, others will jump at the change to try lie-flat seats.
Thank you for your input. I am just under 5’11” so no, C+ is not uncomfortable at all. You have a good point in the novelty of a lie-fiat seat. But I have been in J on several international flights already plus I have 2 J flights this summer so the lie-flight is no longer novel to me. I agree that a three-hour (and probably a bit less) flight is really not worth it.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there was a recent back-and-forth in the FCM thread about $160 for this flight ... that’s pretty close to the $1/min metric that many FTers have cited for a few years ... I’m paying $284 to upfare a redeye SEA-JFK-DCA; 4.5 hours in a lie-flat on a 75S is “worth it” in a heartbeat
pulpfiction78 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd pay $299. It's only a few coffees.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think that's a lot for just one segment. Before you do that I would call in and find out the price of upgrading the whole trip which, while more money, may represent a better value.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
do you need the MQMs?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
F = First, C+ = Comfort+, J = Business
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Melting_Snowflakes
What does F, C+, and J stand for? I am new to flying.
Read here for a month to a year to 10 years and you will get it all.
olegator and bonoman like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The paid upgrade offers have been very misleading lately in my experience. $299 seems high for a single-segment upgrade on a mid-haul flight however lie flats are nice. Sort of depends on what you're willing to spend I guess. One suggestion I have is calling to see what the fare difference would be to upgrade the ticket. You can also check the fare difference online before calling if you'd rather do it that way.

Recently I purchased an MCO-ATL-CHA trip in regular Y. The app was offering an F upgrade for $63. Short flight, but I thought it was a pretty decent deal, however when you go to actually select seats, the $63 was only for the ~20 minute second segment from ATL-CHA and they wanted $299 for the MCO-ATL segment (obviously wasn't going to do either of those). What's more, the fare difference between my Y ticket and the F ticket for both segments of the trip was only about $112. Similar situation with C+. App was selling it for $89 on MCO-ATL and $19 on ATL-CHA, yet the fare difference for both segments was only $29. I ended calling in and just spending the $29 to upgrade to C+ as both of these segments are so short it's pretty much impossible to justify F on. Not sure if this is a glitch or just Delta preying on those too ignorant to check the actual fare difference, but it is definitely something to be aware of.
jaimemayo and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
do you need the MQMs?
Sure, I can always use more MQMs but I think I would only get about 600 MQMs more by upgrading that segment to F.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
NO!

jaimemayo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.