FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Paid upgrade to F worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1959288-paid-upgrade-f-worth.html)

puck021 Mar 4, 2019 10:19 pm

No way I would pay $300 for a lie flat for a 2.45 hr flight during the day.

ijgordon Mar 4, 2019 10:25 pm

Agreed, not worth it. Let a poor elite get it for free. :)

tmorse6570 Mar 5, 2019 12:53 am

$100 per hour seems high. I'd pass.

NOLAnwGOLD Mar 5, 2019 1:24 am

I'm 6'5 and no way am I giving $299 for a domestic flight if I'm already in C+!

Now for biz to Europe or Asia, sold!

MarkP24 Mar 5, 2019 5:20 am

Originally Posted by jaimemayo (Post 30846323)
Hello, I suppose I am the only one who can really answer my question but I am interested in your input. I am flying DL MKE-DTW-PHX in F. I am in Economy Comfort (or whatever it’s called now) on the way back PHX-MSP-MKE. I got an offer to upgrade PHX-MSP in F for $299. I am tempted because the seats on this route are lie-flat and that would be nice. It’s about a three hour flight which isn’t long. So what are your thoughts....is the extra $299 I would be paying worth it? Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't do it for that price but everyone's different. Did you look at the seat map to see your upgrade chances?

Austin787 Mar 5, 2019 8:21 am

If you're planning to sleep some, go for it. If not, I'd save the money.

dcadwell Mar 5, 2019 8:39 am

Yeah, I'd definitely pass on this one.

jaimemayo Mar 5, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24 (Post 30849896)
Personally I wouldn't do it for that price but everyone's different. Did you look at the seat map to see your upgrade chances?

The F seat map currently shows 16 empty seats. The agent I talked to thought my chances of getting upgraded were “good” but of course that’s very subjective. The funny thing is they also had 48,000 miles for an automatic upgrade. I just upgraded from PS to D1 on a MSP-ICN flight this summer for 40,000 miles! Much better deal!

jiburi Mar 5, 2019 9:40 am

No way. If you are a Plat and have some chance of comp upgrade, paying $299 nullifies your complimentary elite perks. Granted it's not a sure thing but why give in to delta's coffer and pay when you've already paid to earn up the ranks. To me, that's silly.

Jiburi

MarkP24 Mar 5, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by jaimemayo (Post 30850654)

The F seat map currently shows 16 empty seats. The agent I talked to thought my chances of getting upgraded were “good” but of course that’s very subjective. The funny thing is they also had 48,000 miles for an automatic upgrade. I just upgraded from PS to D1 on a MSP-ICN flight this summer for 40,000 miles! Much better deal!

With your solid upgrade chances and the price for the short flight, that may help your decision, but it's whatever you value, not others!

MSPeconomist Mar 5, 2019 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 30850796)
No way. If you are a Plat and have some chance of comp upgrade, paying $299 nullifies your complimentary elite perks. Granted it's not a sure thing but why give in to delta's coffer and pay when you've already paid to earn up the ranks. To me, that's silly.

Jiburi

SDC can be very valuable.

film_girl Mar 5, 2019 8:47 pm

I personally would not for this route. Lie flat is nice but for this length of a flight I don’t think it’s worth it. Hopefully you’ll get your upgrade. When is your flight?

jaimemayo Mar 6, 2019 6:57 am

Originally Posted by film_girl (Post 30853027)
I personally would not for this route. Lie flat is nice but for this length of a flight I don’t think it’s worth it. Hopefully you’ll get your upgrade. When is your flight?

Saturday, March 23 at about 1:00 pm.