Wiki Posts
Search

once again, upgrade didn't work...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
once again, upgrade didn't work...

So I have a flight Friday night DTW-SFO, which means it's already within my upgrade window now. When I go to my seat map, the first class seat shows free, but when I select one, it never went through.

I called, the first agent tried to educate me my window starts from Monday, not 100 hours before, the "free" thing is an error.
The second one tried to charge me the fare difference to upgrade to first class, though there are upgradable spaces.

Anyone experience that before? I did have one exact same experience last year... thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just because the seat map shows white (available or unassigned) seats doesn’t mean DL has actually released those seats into upgrade inventory
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
I'm not sure what you are saying. Once you are in the window, you can be given an upgrade, but you don't automatically get upgraded just because the seat chart shows there are empty seats. If you mean something else, please let us know. It's more likely upgrades won't happen until the gate.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I'm not sure what you are saying. Once you are in the window, you can be given an upgrade, but you don't automatically get upgraded just because the seat chart shows there are empty seats. If you mean something else, please let us know. It's more likely upgrades won't happen until the gate.
I think the OP is about it showing as "Free" but then not going through.

Seemed like a pretty straightforward question. Shows as an available seat, that is free, but cannot be selected.

I don't have an answer, but I do understand the question.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade window opens at 5 days prior to flight for PM/DM's which is 120 hours (not 100). As others have indicated, just because there are open seats, does not mean there is actual upgrade inventory. If you attempt to book your existing flight while logged-in, and then click on View Upgrade Eligibility, it will tell if there is currently upgrade inventory if it says "Upgrade Available to First". If it just says "Upgrade Eligible to First", there is currently no inventory available on the flight. If it only says Upgrade Eligible, it shouldn't be telling you it's Free. It could be there are no FCM offers available currently (I have seen them go away even when there are available seats) and it only means it's "Free" should upgrade inventory open up.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the reply, what I’m saying is when I hover around any empty first class seat, it shows free as in the screenshot... which means (I think) is free for me to choose
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LBJ
Upgrade window opens at 5 days prior to flight for PM/DM's which is 120 hours (not 100). As others have indicated, just because there are open seats, does not mean there is actual upgrade inventory. If you attempt to book your existing flight while logged-in, and then click on View Upgrade Eligibility, it will tell if there is currently upgrade inventory if it says "Upgrade Available to First". If it just says "Upgrade Eligible to First", there is currently no inventory available.
However if you look at the OPs screenshot, it shows the seat as free which translates to there being OU space avalible. If there wasn’t, the OP would be receiving an FCM offer or the seat map would be grayed out. OP if I where you, I would try and un-request the UG and then go back and re-request the UG for this segment and see if that works.
CO-PLAT, jdrtravel and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Both agents said upgradable space available
Originally Posted by LBJ
Upgrade window opens at 5 days prior to flight for PM/DM's which is 120 hours (not 100). As others have indicated, just because there are open seats, does not mean there is actual upgrade inventory. If you attempt to book your existing flight while logged-in, and then click on View Upgrade Eligibility, it will tell if there is currently upgrade inventory if it says "Upgrade Available to First". If it just says "Upgrade Eligible to First", there is currently no inventory available on the flight. If it only says Upgrade Eligible, it shouldn't be telling you it's Free. It could be there is no FCM offers available currently and it's only say it's "Free" should upgrade inventory open up.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
looks like we have another entry for the Bug Reporting thread
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by lonelygod
Thanks! Both agents said upgradable space available

If the agent is indeed telling you that UG space is avalible, then what was their reasoning for not moving you up? As I said above, I would try and re-request your UG again as it sounds like there is some IT issues here (not surprisingly). I have had the same issue occur before (UG space was avalible and I was inside window) and I undid and re-requested the UG in the app and it worked and I was automatically upgraded.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

The first one reads me upgrade priority, saying her supervisor informed her upgrade is totally controlled by computer.
The second one talked with her “support desk”, told me upgrade would clear after 12am, which already is 12:38am now, nothing happened.

I did cancel the upgrade request, and then opt-in again, still comfort+, no luck.

Calling the third one now..
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

If the agent is indeed telling you that UG space is avalible, then what was their reasoning for not moving you up? As I said above, I would try and re-request your UG again as it sounds like there is some IT issues here (not surprisingly). I have had the same issue occur before (UG space was avalible and I was inside window) and I undid and re-requested the UG in the app and it worked and I was automatically upgraded.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:47 pm

The first one reads me upgrade priority, saying her supervisor informed her upgrade is totally controlled by computer.
The second one talked with her “support desk”, told me upgrade would clear after 12am, which already is 12:38am now, nothing happened.

I did cancel the upgrade request, and then opt-in again, still comfort+, no luck.

Calling the third one now..

Well than I have no idea what the issue is then. It sounds like something is messed up with DL UG system right now, once again not surprisingly.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!

third call: the supervisor said it’s an automated system. And yes, there is upgradable space.

I don’t think that is very persuasive... haha

edit: to be honest, I think I probably won't get the upgrade...

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Well than I have no idea what the issue is then. It sounds like something is messed up with DL UG system right now, once again not surprisingly.

Last edited by lonelygod; Mar 3, 2019 at 11:14 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This seems like an interesting twist on these other recent threads:

"Self-upgrading" at seat selection in Delta App

selecting my own Comfort+ upgrades
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for the reply!

third call: the supervisor said it’s an automated system. And yes, there is upgradable space.

I don’t think that is very persuasive... haha

edit: to be honest, I think I probably won't get the upgrade...

When they say that upgrade space is available, is it specifically inventory for free elite upgrades or upgrade space for instrument supported upgrades (GUCs/RUCs and miles)? They're different inventory buckets until the day of departure. I'm not sure phone agents would know the difference and in fact they might be accustomed to looking for space for instrument supported upgrades since most phone calls about this would be from people trying to confirm upgrades on the phone at the time of ticketing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.