Wiki Posts
Search

Hubs Pre-Merger

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Hubs Pre-Merger

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the Delta hubs (and NWA for that matter) pre-merger? Possibly including years they were "de-hubbed" (DFW in 2005, for instance...if memory serves right?)
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta Hubs

ATL
CVG
JFK
SLC

Delta Focus Cities

LAX
MCO
FLL
BOS
LGA

NWA Hubs

MSP
DTW
MEM

NWA Focus Cities

NRT
IND
MKE
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Delta Hubs

ATL
CVG
JFK
SLC

Delta Focus Cities

LAX
MCO
FLL
BOS
LGA

NWA Hubs

MSP
DTW
MEM

NWA Focus Cities

NRT
IND
MKE
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the Delta hubs (and NWA for that matter) pre-merger? Possibly including years they were "de-hubbed" (DFW in 2005, for instance...if memory serves right?)
Was DFW ever a hub or focus city?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Yes, it was a slow death but Delta finally dropped the DFW hub in 2005. It was almost all CRJ at the end. Even a long flight like DFW-MCO was a CR7.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MarkP24
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/s...6/daily13.html
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it was a slow death but Delta finally dropped the DFW hub in 2005. It was almost all CRJ at the end. Even a long flight like DFW-MCO was a CR7.
I once did DTW-DFW-OAK entirely on CRJ-100's shortly before the death of the hub.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Delta Hubs

ATL
CVG
JFK
SLC

Delta Focus Cities

LAX
MCO
FLL
BOS
LGA
Little-known fun fact: CMH was briefly a focus city in the mid-2000s thanks to the RP ERJ flying they picked up from HP. DL sold connections through CMH, which I found out trying to rebook my dad and brother from DC to Orlando in 2005 after Independence Air left them high and dry at IAD; the cheapest itineraries available routed them back through Columbus.

I have a CRAA newsletter where DL uses the term from ~2004. At its peak, they served the hubs and focus cities above, plus DFW, BDL, DCA, TPA, RSW.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by LBJ
I once did DTW-DFW-OAK entirely on CRJ-100's shortly before the death of the hub.
DFW-OAK is over 1450 miles

I know the ERJ-145XR has that range (having flown OKC-EWR on CO in 2003), but I didn’t think DL or its regional affiliates operated the CRJ on legs like that (my longest being DFW-TUS, 815 miles)
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767

DFW-OAK is over 1450 miles

I know the ERJ-145XR has that range (having flown OKC-EWR on CO in 2003), but I didn’t think DL or its regional affiliates operated the CRJ on legs like that
It wouldn't be the first time. Delta briefly operated LAS-TUL on a CRJ in the early 2000's. It was routed LAS-TUL-CVG.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:58 pm

DL branded & marketed its DFW terminal 4E as Easy Street with all operations in the same terminal, for ease in getting to your car presumably after the trip, in comparison to AA spread out across 2E & 3E. As part of this strategy, it expanded gates in 4E with its unique satellite concourse.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
It wouldn't be the first time. Delta briefly operated LAS-TUL on a CRJ in the early 2000's. It was routed LAS-TUL-CVG.
LAS-TUL is (only) 1075 miles

Originally Posted by Colin
DL branded & marketed its DFW terminal 4E as Easy Street with all operations in the same terminal, for ease in getting to your car presumably after the trip, in comparison to AA spread out across 2E & 3E. As part of this strategy, it expanded gates in 4E with its unique satellite concourse.
which was more challenging than “Easy” when you had a ~30-min connection, blocked in late at the far end of the main part of 4E, and were departing from the satellite gates
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:40 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
NRT was certainly a hub for Northwest Orient!

Also SEA was a gateway to Asia as well, with lots of ups and downs in terms of importance. HNL as a focus city too?? I was a frequent spot for connections for me as well.
DavidDTW, tvnwz, BenA and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:02 pm
Suspended

I was always curious how NWA staffed their 757 interport flights at NRT. They had a flight attendant base but no pilot base. So did they just have to deadhead 757 pilots in and out of NRT constantly? Obviously this wasn't an issue after the merger. Pilots can fly both the 757 and 767 at the same time. Delta was able to schedule 767 flights from the US to NRT and then the pilots who brought the 767 in could do a 757 interport turn before operating another 767 flight back to the US.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:12 am

Pilots can fly both the 757 and 767 at the same time.
I'd love to see that one! ;-)
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
I'd love to see that one! ;-)
lol

iirc it’s called a “common type rating” and it means that they’re qualified to fly either the 757 or the 767 ... from a crew scheduling standpoint it’s great for DL ... purely speculating here, but a 3-day trip for a common-type-rated crew could be something like ATL-MCO (757), MCO-JFK (757); JFK-LAX/SFO (763); LAX/SFO-ATL (757)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.