Booking multi-cabin award

Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Booking multi-cabin award

A few months ago we flew HND-MSP in J and then MSP-LGA in coach for 80K SkyMiles. The Flight to NY was added on even after the other segment was booked. The other day we got a LAX-SYD for 100K in J but when I tried to add a JFK-LAX in coach on the same award I was given a ridiculous additional amount. Was I just lucky the first time or should I call back?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by spinmeister
A few months ago we flew HND-MSP in J and then MSP-LGA in coach for 80K SkyMiles. The Flight to NY was added on even after the other segment was booked. The other day we got a LAX-SYD for 100K in J but when I tried to add a JFK-LAX in coach on the same award I was given a ridiculous additional amount. Was I just lucky the first time or should I call back?
Nothing to do with mixed class here, but for award flights on DL, just like for revenue, the price is not locked in. When you try to add a flight the ENTIRE set of flights is REPRICED at the CURRENT pricing and availability. Basically what you are doing is CANCELING your current ticket (and giving up the fare you got on that) and buying a NEW one at the new price.

Adding flights on is often not even possible at any cost. Say for KE flights where there is max 1 seat in O. If you have that one seat, you will not be able to add any other flight on to that itinerary, as the DL dumbed down systems are only able to book it as a new itinerary and after that cancel the old one, but as you already have the one and only seat in O, therefore you cannot change it, as there is no change, but rather rebook new while canceling your current res.

This used to be no problem before, but with the continuous DL reservations systems functionality downgrades, it is no longer so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.