FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Inflight messaging with Google project Fi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1959176-inflight-messaging-google-project-fi.html)

jfadool Mar 3, 2019 3:02 pm

Inflight messaging with Google project Fi

When Delta first introduced free inflight messaging it was great. On Project Fi it just worked like a normal SMS message through the standard message app. Just select free messaging from the Gogo splash screen and I was running.

The past 8-10 months it hasn't worked correctly. It seemed to stop working when they changed the SSID to DeltaWifi. Could totally be unrelated.

It does work if I buy an internet session, but I don't usually do that as my flights are mostly under 3 hours.

I've tried to chat with Gogo support, but they aren't much help.

Anyone else have this issue and a work around?

k2 Mar 3, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jfadool (Post 30843494)
When Delta first introduced free inflight messaging it was great. On Project Fi it just worked like a normal SMS message through the standard message app. Just select free messaging from the Gogo splash screen and I was running.

The past 8-10 months it hasn't worked correctly. It seemed to stop working when they changed the SSID to DeltaWifi. Could totally be unrelated.

It does work if I buy an internet session, but I don't usually do that as my flights are mostly under 3 hours.

I've tried to chat with Gogo support, but they aren't much help.

Anyone else have this issue and a work around?

Same exact problem here, and no workaround that I've found :(. Even though the Delta free messaging signin says it only supports imessage, FB and WhatsApp, it always worked for me until sometime last year.

I'm pretty sure this issue started before Google switched Fi to RCS chat earlier this year, but I could be wrong.

jfadool Mar 3, 2019 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by k2 (Post 30843698)
I'm pretty sure this issue started before Google switched Fi to RCS chat earlier this year, but I could be wrong.

Yea, it was a problem before the switch to RCS. I was hopeful that it would actually help, but same issues.

bloc0102 Mar 3, 2019 5:41 pm

I had heard before that Fi only worked because Gogo used Google ad services, so they couldn't block all Google traffic. Maybe that's what changed?

jfadool Mar 3, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by bloc0102 (Post 30843966)
I had heard before that Fi only worked because Gogo used Google ad services, so they couldn't block all Google traffic. Maybe that's what changed?

I think that's what happened originally, back in 2015/2016. Then when they introduced free message, I had to at least go past the splash screen before anything would work.

Now it's just texting over WiFi, but it does bring up a good point. Maybe they intentionally blocked SMS messaging over WiFi. More or less white list imessage, Facebook, and what'sapp.

mrcool1122 Mar 3, 2019 8:09 pm

Standard message app or Hangouts? They use slightly different protocols to send messages.

jfadool Mar 4, 2019 5:50 am

Originally Posted by mrcool1122 (Post 30844353)
Standard message app or Hangouts? They use slightly different protocols to send messages.

Standard message app is what I'm trying to use.

I also sent an email to Gogo about this, here is the response:
"Thank you for contacting Gogo. Actually we weren't aware that Google Project Fi wasnt working with the free messaging, we don't get much reports of Google Project Fi users (to not say none). I will pass this information to tech team so they can take a look and verify what is going on. We will get back to you once we have news from tech team."

So it looks like Gogo does what to support project Fi messaging. If/when they get back to be I will update this thread. So far, I'm impressed with Gogo's response. Less than 12 hour response and actually helpful. Hopefully they can implement a fix.

dcadwell Mar 4, 2019 6:01 am

Originally Posted by jfadool (Post 30845492)
Standard message app is what I'm trying to use.

"Thank you for contacting Gogo. Actually we weren't aware that Google Project Fi wasnt working with the free messaging, we don't get much reports of Google Project Fi users (to not say none). I will pass this information to tech team so they can take a look and verify what is going on. We will get back to you once we have news from tech team."

So it looks like Gogo does what to support project Fi messaging. If/when they get back to be I will update this thread. So far, I'm impressed with Gogo's response. Less than 12 hour response and actually helpful. Hopefully they can implement a fix.

Thanks for the update!

sydneyracquelle Mar 4, 2019 6:26 am

Free iMessage has worked on all 4 DL flights I was on this week. I cannot text from my iPhone to an Android. I note that it is becoming available more from gate to gate than having to wait until 10,000 feet depending on the aircraft. I also note that free iMessage is disabled once I decide to upgrade my access during the flight and pay for wifi.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Mar 4, 2019 7:10 am

I have had a several flights this past were it was hit or miss with iMessage. One hit was LAX-HND, the return was a miss.

jfadool Mar 4, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 30845596)
Free iMessage has worked on all 4 DL flights I was on this week. I cannot text from my iPhone to an Android. I note that it is becoming available more from gate to gate than having to wait until 10,000 feet depending on the aircraft. I also note that free iMessage is disabled once I decide to upgrade my access during the flight and pay for wifi.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 30845725)
I have had a several flights this past were it was hit or miss with iMessage. One hit was LAX-HND, the return was a miss.

I should have been more clear. This is using an Android Phone on Google Project Fi. iPhones weren't an option on Project Fi until a few months ago, this issue has existed for longer than that.

iPhones on Project Fi don't have the full capabilities of the Android options. Specifically they don't have the Wifi SMS and calling options. iMessage should work properly inflight iPhone-iPhone. That's an Apple service not a real SMS, it's more similar to hangouts or whatsapp than a text message.

3Cforme Mar 4, 2019 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jfadool (Post 30845492)

I, too, have a Fi phone and noticed that messaging stopped working, and so have an interest in the outcome. However, I'm going to say it's a long way from a happy customer service rep thru management to set tech priorities - even if if is their intent and/or contractual obligation to support basic Fi messaging on Delta.

flyinggolfer Mar 4, 2019 9:36 am

I'm not on Fi anymore (T-Mobile now), but also noticed that texts had stopped working for me as well. I was poking around in my phone's settings and noticed that under SIM&Network settings>Enhanced Communication>Wi-Fi Calling>" Use WIFI calling when available" had been disabled. Once I enabled it again, I was able to send SMS and MMS without issue. Also, under the same menu "Calling Preference" should also be set to Wi-Fi preferred. I know Fi's menu labels are a bit different than Oxygen OS on my OnePlus 5, but it might not hurt to check.

dcadwell Mar 4, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by flyinggolfer (Post 30846295)
I'm not on Fi anymore (T-Mobile now), but also noticed that texts had stopped working for me as well. I was poking around in my phone's settings and noticed that under SIM&Network settings>Enhanced Communication>Wi-Fi Calling>" Use WIFI calling when available" had been disabled. Once I enabled it again, I was able to send SMS and MMS without issue. Also, under the same menu "Calling Preference" should also be set to Wi-Fi preferred. I know Fi's menu labels are a bit different than Oxygen OS on my OnePlus 5, but it might not hurt to check.

On my Pixel you verify this setting by going to: Settings->Network and Internet->Mobile Network->Advanced->Configure IMS Calling

jfadool Mar 4, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30846046)
I, too, have a Fi phone and noticed that messaging stopped working, and so have an interest in the outcome. However, I'm going to say it's a long way from a happy customer service rep thru management to set tech priorities - even if if is their intent and/or contractual obligation to support basic Fi messaging on Delta.

Very true, however it's still better than the chat support I've gotten while trying to sort this out in the air. The chat refused to even acknowledge that SMS over Wifi was possible at all, he/she insisted that there was no way it was possible without a cell network connection. Much less try to fix or even log the issue.

They at least recognized that there is an issue and that they should support it. Hopefully something will come of it. Maybe if enough people send in an email requesting Project Fi support, they will move it up the list. I sent my email to: [email protected]