FYI on Canceled PWM Ticket

Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
FYI on Canceled PWM Ticket

When canceling a PWM ticket, you get credited at one penny per mile with the miles that you used as PWM but those new dollars are not eligible for MQDs on a future flight when using the voucher from the canceled flight. For example:
Flight total cost: $900
Real dollars used: $500
PWM used: 40,000 ($400)

Canceled flight leaves you with a $700 voucher due to the cancellation fee of $200. But, that is not $700 real dollars. The way it works out is:
Real dollars used: $500-$200 cancellation fee.
PWM dollars: $400
Voucher balance: $700= $300 real dollars + $400 PWM dollars

Perhaps everyone knew this but I thought I'd clarify this because I didn't completely understand it until now.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's been this way for ages. I won't say everyone realizes it, but it has been discussed before.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Implicitly you're paying the change fee from the cash part, but the good news is that (unlike UA), you're not required to pay the fee with new money.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Question

I have a $1400 pwm ticket that I used miles to buy. If I get a voucher and use it to buy a flight that is on KLM (delta code share), then I use a Global upgrade which changes the flight numbers to KLM flights, I think I will earn miles per the 30% distance flown, anyone else with experience?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jay00848
I have a $1400 pwm ticket that I used miles to buy. If I get a voucher and use it to buy a flight that is on KLM (delta code share), then I use a Global upgrade which changes the flight numbers to KLM flights, I think I will earn miles per the 30% distance flown, anyone else with experience?
I don't think that's going to work.
Eligible only on Delta and Delta Connection® carrier-operated and ticketed flights booked at delta.com. Not available on other codeshare flights.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#terms
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:28 pm

In my experience PWM can only be used on DL flights. Try and make a dummy booking for your flight once you are logged in and see if PWM comes up as an option. When I tried this on a partner airline I couldn’t use PWM.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
I don't think that's going to work.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#terms

I agree you can’t use the PWM for code shares but the ecredit from the canceled PWM ticket should be able to use for a code share just like any other ecert? I just don’t want to use the credit on a long Klm flight in Z class and then earn non mqd.

Last edited by Jay00848; Mar 4, 2019 at 7:39 pm Reason: Added PWM
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Delete

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 5, 2019 at 11:54 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Refunding a fully refundable ticket paid for with PWM sounds like a decent workaround to the limitations of the program. If you're non-US, the MQD requirement is irrelevant...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yohanson
When canceling a PWM ticket, you get credited at one penny per mile with the miles that you used as PWM but those new dollars are not eligible for MQDs on a future flight when using the voucher from the canceled flight. For example:
Real dollars used: $500
PWM used: 40,000 ($400)

Canceled flight leaves you with a $700 voucher due to the cancellation fee of $200. But, that is not $700 real dollars. The way it works out is:
Real dollars used: $500-$200 cancellation fee.
PWM dollars: $400
Voucher balance: $700= $300 real dollars + $400 PWM dollars

Perhaps everyone knew this but I thought I'd clarify this because I didn't completely understand it until now.
I've never used PWM as I can't see myself using miles at a penny each, this is for helpful if I do ever use it. Thanks!
yohanson likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You will only get miles back when you goto change/cancel PWM ticket. Your new ticket will be a strictly mileage ticket, not a PWM. GUC can't be used on mileage tickets. Also ypu cant bopk codeshares on PWM tickets, so even if they could keep it as a PWM you wouldn't be able to do what you want.
My experience has been completely different for the many PWM tickets I have cancelled. DL will not refund the miles and you will have an ecredit for the value of the ticket less any change fee as if you had paid by credit card for the entire ticket. As such, the new ticket becomes a revenue ticket and not an award ticket.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

My experience has been completely different for the many PWM tickets I have cancelled. DL will not refund the miles and you will have an ecredit for the value of the ticket less any change fee as if you had paid by credit card for the entire ticket. As such, the new ticket becomes a revenue ticket and not an award ticket.
My brain got overloaded. You're correct.

What i However was trying to think and explain is, the credit from cancelling/changing would be marked as non-refundable. Just like when you use a credit from a regular non-refundable ticket to buy a new refundable ticket. The amount of the old non-refundable ticket still remains non-refundable.

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 6, 2019 at 7:48 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:47 am

did you earn MQM’s and MQD’s on the ticket you purchased with the Ecredit?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:08 pm

Full MQMs yes. MQDs only for the cash portion but MQDs are irrelevant for me with the AMEX spend.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Full MQMs yes. MQDs only for the cash portion..........

That's consistent with what OP posted. No MQD on PWM ecredit.

Originally Posted by yohanson
When canceling a PWM ticket, you get credited at one penny per mile with the miles that you used as PWM but those new dollars are not eligible for MQDs on a future flight when using the voucher from the canceled flight..............
I have never received MQD on PWM portion of tickets even when not reissued. DL system functions consistently in this case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.