Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS--Waterfowl in the Engine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
IRROPS--Waterfowl in the Engine

Couple days ago friend was on DCA--MSP flight that had to make an immediate emergency landing, the email she received yesterday she said:

"Delta sent us an email telling us once they inspected the plane, the failed takeoff was due to a ‘large water fowl’ hitting the right engine. I want to be mad at the bird but really, he had a much worse night that I did so trying to just be grateful."

First, it got me wondering how they compensate for something like that, she ended up spending the night in MSP after missing her connection... but then I got curious, how common is this? What other crazy emails have people received?

Side note: do you get flight credit when you have an immediate emergency landing? Is it a segment?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
I guess it it duck season....Rabbit season.....duck season.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: LH, DL
I was on this flight

Originally Posted by Wimsta
First, it got me wondering how they compensate for something like that
I received a hotel room, 7500 Sky miles, and TCON D1 re-route.

Side note: do you get flight credit when you have an immediate emergency landing? Is it a segment?
Yes, I got credit for the segment and the miles for this segment.

Spanish likes this.

Last edited by GMTmin8; Mar 3, 2019 at 11:49 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by GMTmin8

Interesting. I'd think they would say the water fowl hitting the plane is an "act of God" and therefore not accept any responsibility.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
First, it got me wondering how they compensate for something like that
Well, she's very lucky it didn't end up in the Potomac - - like Sully's US Air flight ended up in the Hudson!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Was said fowl actually seen entering the engine? How can they be sure it was a waterfowl and not another species, perhaps a raptor or a shorebird? This jump to conclusions reeks of foul play.
strickerj and ShopAround like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by EditingFX
foul .
Fowl?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by EditingFX
Was said fowl actually seen entering the engine? How can they be sure it was a waterfowl and not another species, perhaps a raptor or a shorebird? This jump to conclusions reeks of foul play.
While my email read “bird” a former pilot thought it was likely a duck based on magnitude of the experience, so no intentional “fowl” play.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Interesting. I'd think they would say the water fowl hitting the plane is an "act of God" and therefore not accept any responsibility.
I posted a separate thread about how well this was handled. Wonderful customer service after a diversion

The response reflects the customer service orientation I nearly always receive from Delta. Most passengers were likely spooked by the experience. The bird strike occurred after multiple weather related delays to MSP that day and we were stuck in IAD in the evening. No one knew what happened until the engine was examined. The playbook used to respond covered all aspects. Service recovery was excellent and makes me want to continue to book DL.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Fowl?
Would you prefer fish?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would you prefer fish?
Don't play chicken with a jet.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, she's very lucky it didn't end up in the Potomac - - like Sully's US Air flight ended up in the Hudson!
She was indeed very grateful to be home.
All in all she ended up about 40 hours delayed, and she handled it all so much better than I sometimes do.

It makes me want to be a better traveller, and to stop thinking about compensation first.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GMTmin8

For whatever reason this really amuses me. It also makes me feel better about Delta.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by defrosted
Don't play chicken with a jet.
A single chicken shouldn't bring down an commercial aircraft, even if the bird is frozen. The standard is that jet engines are supposed to be able to injest birds the size of a turkey without much damage. With Sully's famous flight, the problem is that it was a whole big flock of birds.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Probably the pilot flying saw something coming at them and called out to the FO "Duck" and so that's what gets written into the flight log. Tis unusual however ti get passed on to the passengers
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Isn't Roaches Run basically at the end of DCA's runways? Why would they put a waterfowl sanctuary so close to an airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.