Upgrading to F: Change Fee Waived?

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Upgrading to F: Change Fee Waived?

I’m pretty sure the answer to this is generally Yes, however wanted to see other’s opinions before I call. I have an anniversary trip to LAS at the end of the month I booked in Y. Looking at the current price for F, I’m seriously thinking about calling DL and upgrading the tickets. When I used the “modify flight” feature online it wants to charge me the $200 change fee per ticket. The only FCM offers are segment by segment and it’s insanely expensive. Would DL waive the change fee for an upgrade to F and solely collect the fare difference? I’m Gold if it helps. Current booked fare classes are X,V. I’m showing a great Z fare in F. Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Cabin upgrade generally is NOT charged a fee. However, a couple of years ago I wanted to UG from an actual Y fare to a Z fare which was LESS than my original ticketed price and the agent wanted to whack me with the fee. I asked her to check with a supervisor and she said she’d do it “as a courtesy” — to which I replied “Thank you, and I’ll continue to fly your airline as a courtesy.”

The supervisor claimed that the fee was not waived, even for a cabin upgrade, if the new fare was lower. To this day I still don’t know if that’s bogus or true, but my gut calls foul.
jdrtravel and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Cabin upgrade generally is NOT charged a fee. However, a couple of years ago I wanted to UG from an actual Y fare to a Z fare which was LESS than my original ticketed price and the agent wanted to whack me with the fee. I asked her to check with a supervisor and she said she’d do it “as a courtesy” — to which I replied “Thank you, and I’ll continue to fly your airline as a courtesy.”

The supervisor claimed that the fee was not waived, even for a cabin upgrade, if the new fare was lower. To this day I still don’t know if that’s bogus or true, but my gut calls foul.
Delta’s official policy on the topic can be found here:
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/policy-library/self-service-exceptions/main-cabin-fare-to-premium-fare-ticket-exchange-policy-.html

In the case of exchanging for a Z ticket that’s cheaper than the original Y ticket (I’m assuming it’s longhaul international), you should have received the difference in fare back as a credit, less the change fee, per the rules in the policy above.
TheHorta and tangeng like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rucksack

Delta’s official policy on the topic can be found here:
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

In the case of exchanging for a Z ticket that’s cheaper than the original Y ticket (I’m assuming it’s longhaul international), you should have received the difference in fare back as a credit, less the change fee, per the rules in the policy above.
The link doesn't work for me, but it does in this quote.

Note that the policy of paying the change fee is it's less that the fare difference applies only to international tickets. For domestic, there's no change fee. I also don't see anything about getting any difference in your favor back as a DL credit.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An actual Y fare should be fully refundable with no change fee in vast majority of cases (there are sometimes exceptions for high demand events). Just refund and buy a new ticket.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The link doesn't work for me, but it does in this quote.

Note that the policy of paying the change fee is it's less that the fare difference applies only to international tickets. For domestic, there's no change fee. I also don't see anything about getting any difference in your favor back as a DL credit.
It doesn’t directly address that situation in the policy memo, but it would be no different than cancelling a non-refundable ticket and then rebooking with the residual credit after the change fee. As you pointed out, for int’l, the change fee is only waived if the fare difference is greater.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta
to which I replied “Thank you, and I’ll continue to fly your airline as a courtesy.”
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Just a follow up post to hopefully serve as a datapoint to others:

In summary I called DL today and they happily upgraded me to F with no change fee. I called and simply asked the agent for a price quote to upgrade our two tickets to First Class, roundtrip. I did not mention I had attempted to do the same online and the system wanted to charge a change fee. She quickly came up with a number that matched the fare difference as I had viewed online exactly. I then told her I was definitely wanting to make the upgrade and just wanted to verify no change fee on top of the quoted fare difference (I then told her I had attempted online). She said that the website will always try and assess one, but they have an unwritten policy to not charge change fees on tickets where the only thing being modified is moving to a higher class of service. If everything else stays the same (dates, fights, destination, etc) no change fee.

Overall I was happy with the result. My original booked fare code was (X,V,V,X) and now booked into (Z,Z,Z,Z). The fare difference for both of us totaled around $1100.... had I done the change online it would've been $1100 + $400 change fee = $1500 total.
TheHorta and Fontaine like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
but they have an unwritten policy...
I like written policies, in the fare rules or contract of carriage. They yield specific consumer rights.
TheHorta and M2578Z like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I like written policies, in the fare rules or contract of carriage. They yield specific consumer rights.
This one is okay as unwritten. They could write a no favors/waivers policy and then we always get charged to give them more money for a higher class of service. I'd prefer not.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:35 am

She said that the website will always try and assess one, but they have an unwritten policy to not charge change fees on tickets where the only thing being modified is moving to a higher class of service. If everything else stays the same (dates, fights, destination, etc) no change fee.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I like written policies.
Originally Posted by tkey75
This one is okay as unwritten. They could write a no favors/waivers policy and then we always get charged to give them more money for a higher class of service. I'd prefer not.

It actually is a written policy, as cited above. There are specific differences for domestic (+Can/Mex/Islands) and international. It used to be an "unwritten" policy, but it was formalized several years ago. Here's the link again: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It actually is a written policy, as cited above. There are specific differences for domestic (+Can/Mex/Islands) and international. It used to be an "unwritten" policy, but it was formalized several years ago. Here's the link again: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
That's fine. Written or unwritten, I'm okay as I call often to upgrade fare class and am never charged a fee Sometimes they say it's a one time courtesy, others they just do it but never try to charge me. I just don't want them to write policy like I stated above.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Every time I do this I have to remind them that there shouldn’t be a change fee. Half of the time I either have to HUCA or ask to speak to a supervisor. It is quite a pain, but what can you do.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just a follow up post to hopefully serve as a datapoint to others:

In summary I called DL today and they happily upgraded me to F with no change fee. I called and simply asked the agent for a price quote to upgrade our two tickets to First Class, roundtrip. I did not mention I had attempted to do the same online and the system wanted to charge a change fee. She quickly came up with a number that matched the fare difference as I had viewed online exactly. I then told her I was definitely wanting to make the upgrade and just wanted to verify no change fee on top of the quoted fare difference (I then told her I had attempted online). She said that the website will always try and assess one, but they have an unwritten policy to not charge change fees on tickets where the only thing being modified is moving to a higher class of service. If everything else stays the same (dates, fights, destination, etc) no change fee.

Overall I was happy with the result. My original booked fare code was (X,V,V,X) and now booked into (Z,Z,Z,Z). The fare difference for both of us totaled around $1100.... had I done the change online it would've been $1100 + $400 change fee = $1500 total.
How many more MQMs are each of you getting for $550?

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The policy is written for outside professional travel agents. One could imagine a policy that policies for travel agents selling and upfaring tickets aren't the same as the policies for DL agents upfaring tickets that have been purchased directly from DL (or corporate travel agent tickets where the customer has paid a fee to have DL take over the ticket).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The policy is written for outside professional travel agents. One could imagine a policy that policies for travel agents selling and upfaring tickets aren't the same as the policies for DL agents upfaring tickets that have been purchased directly from DL (or corporate travel agent tickets where the customer has paid a fee to have DL take over the ticket).
It's hard for me to imagine DL having a different change fee policy for external agents vs. internal agents. At quick glance it appears that all of the other fees posted in the policy library are the same as those fees assessed by DL directly. Furthermore, I recall DL announcing this in some format as an official policy a few years ago. I don't remember where but I remember a good amount of flytertalk discussion on the topic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.