Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lounge access with domestic first class ticket?

Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...

Hi everyone - I am flying on a domestic first class ticket between IAH and DTW. My understanding is that Delta One can access the lounges but isn't Delta One an international product? Can I access the lounges with my boring ole first class domestic ticket?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You can not.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all clearly stated on the DL website. Based solely on an F ticket, there is no access. You can take a look for other means of access.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would work if you flew north of DTW to Canada, either on a nonstop or as a connection. [Yes, I know that Canada is not domestic as it's not part of the USA.]

Unfortunately, something like IAH-JFK-LAX/SFO-DTW wouldn't be a legal routing so no way to get D1 and hence lounge access without an extremely expensive broken fare and day wasted.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:11 pm

Am I the only one who finds it amusing when the people in front of me to check in the sky lounge are arguing that they are first class domestic and they should be granted access?
OP- if you have an Amex delta platinum or reserve card then you can pay $29 for access, platinum Amex card you get free access to sky or centurion lounges.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by sevastras

OP- if you have an Amex delta platinum or reserve card then you can pay $29 for access, platinum Amex card you get free access to sky or centurion lounges.

DL Gold Amex or DL Plat Amex, $29. DL Reserve Amex or Amex Plat, free access to Skyclub.
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
DL Gold Amex or DL Plat Amex, $29. DL Reserve Amex or Amex Plat, free access to Skyclub.
Correct, and also free for AmEx Centurion card.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by correction
Hi everyone - I am flying on a domestic first class ticket between IAH and DTW. My understanding is that Delta One can access the lounges but isn't Delta One an international product? Can I access the lounges with my boring ole first class domestic ticket?
There are a handful of domestic routes coded as "Delta One" which also come with SkyClub access but IAH-DTW is not one of those routes (it is standard domestic First Class) so you will not have complimentary SkyClub/Lounge access based on your FC ticket. FYI, there's actually no SkyClub at IAH anyway, only AF & KLM partner lounges though if you happen to have Priority Pass, you can access these lounges as part of the Priority Pass program.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
There are a handful of domestic routes coded as "Delta One" which also come with SkyClub access but IAH-DTW is not one of those routes (it is standard domestic First Class) so you will not have complimentary SkyClub/Lounge access based on your FC ticket. FYI, there's actually no SkyClub at IAH anyway, only AF & KLM partner lounges though if you happen to have Priority Pass, you can access these lounges as part of the Priority Pass program.
I used the AF lounge in IAH last year on a domestic itin while they were still allowing AF/KL partner lounge access with an SC membership. When I showed the lounge agent my SC card, she didn't really pay attention to it and asked to see my boarding pass. I was on a domestic route upgraded to F and was expecting she might try to deny access based on the domestic ticket. However, she noted I was in F and that seemed to satisfy her and she let me. Could have been a one-off thing with this particular AF agent, but it might be worth trying the AF lounge with a domestic F ticket.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would work if you flew north of DTW to Canada, either on a nonstop or as a connection. [Yes, I know that Canada is not domestic as it's not part of the USA.]

Unfortunately, something like IAH-JFK-LAX/SFO-DTW wouldn't be a legal routing so no way to get D1 and hence lounge access without an extremely expensive broken fare and day wasted.
Actually it looks like Canada is now excluded from access, so are any other international destinations that are not Delta One flights for Delta passengers ( so, for example AM business class passengers would still get access). However, enforcement seem to be haphazard; my last trip with Delta was from YUL to HND via MSP and I paid for Delta select ( G Fare), and then paid to up-fare my portion from Montreal to first class. I knew of the new policy and expected to be turned away at the Skyclub as when I asked I was told by all employees in both club that Canada no longer gets access. However when they scanned my boarding pass I was given access to both clubs. One agent said it was because I was going to Tokyo I had access ( I was in PS ). I don' t know if it was because the computer saw a G fare as being premium class and international or the computer saw my Z class fare from Montreal as Delta One or International business class. So the agents let me in based on what the computer said, and judging by how busy the clubs have gotten I can see why they are making access more restrcitive.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You can not.

I'm going to try anyway. I'm pretty charming.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:08 am

Those people have seen it all and your charm is not going to do anything unless you whip out a credit card and give them some money to go with it. Have fun but don’t be surprised if those of us in line behind you aren’t real sympathetic to the fact you’re holding us up because you think you’re charming

Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Please report back with your results!
enviroian and TheHorta like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Actually it looks like Canada is now excluded from access.
No. The lounge access page on delta.com lists Canada as an included international destination for Elite+ and Premium Cabin passengers, as of this moment.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
They are very strict. Charm won’t work and they don’t sell day passes anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.