Wiki Posts
Search

companion certificate mistaken type

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat
companion certificate mistaken type

Strange issue. Last year I had both the dl plat and reserve, already used the plat certificate. I attempted to use the reserve cert for first and was told its only valid for coach. On my account it shows a reserve certificate as open.

What is really odd is when I checked my email for my reserve account anniversary the email said thank you renewing your dl plat card and you earned a companion certificate (didnt notice this until now). This is definitely the email from the reserve anniversary. Is there any way to have it used for f? The reserve card has long been closed.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Told by who? There has to I/Z bucket open in order to use them. If there's no I/Z bucket available on the flights you are checking, and there is LUTXV open, the system will only show the coach booking option.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

there is i/z....told by the delta rep and corroborated by the email i received from amex when the cert posted
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by runningformqm
there is i/z....told by the delta rep and corroborated by the email i received from amex when the cert posted
I would think if you have the Reserve Cert as "valid" in your Wallet in your Skymiles account, you can click on it and book with it and it'll show you what you can use it for. (it won't consume the certificate until you actually get further in the booking process). As the other poster mentioned, it's valid for First(F), but only in certain booking classes of fares.

In addition to the other restrictions, of course (which I think are like, domestic flights only, 49-contiguous states, unless you live in HI, etc.)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

got someone to speak to someone in gts and they said i can use it for I but not Z fare classes, which also isnt right....seems to be a case of huca, at this rate might just book y though

edit: also able to see i but not z fare classes when doing some dummy searches

Last edited by runningformqm; Feb 27, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runningformqm
got someone to speak to someone in gts and they said i can use it for I but not Z fare classes, which also isnt right....seems to be a case of huca, at this rate might just book y though

edit: also able to see i but not z fare classes when doing some dummy searches
The old T&C's required A/I fares now that I think about (the new T&C's say I/Z on the Amex website). Since is was likely issued before the change, you may have to upfare to I to use it.
runningformqm likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 27, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:49 pm

If you look at the terms on the open cert it should say clearly what booking classes it's valid for. Speaking with a phone agent, given them that cert number, and asking them to pull the terms and confirm valid booking classes should be enough to clear any confusion I would think.....

I've also had certs which show open on my end, but to the agents it's "closed" or something -- the solution is they have to go into the cert to see another status field or comments or something. It was a big issue for me last year with some GUCs the system had messed up, and when I would ask them to manually go in and check they would always see that it was in fact open and apologize and we could move forward.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
The old T&C's required A/I fares now that I think about (the new T&C's say I/Z on the Amex website). Since is was likely issued before the change, you may have to upfare to I to use it.
I believe this is the case. My cert (issued 6/2018) says it's valid for A/I fares. When I do a dummy booking I only see I fares, even if Z are available. I never saw G fares show up either, so it didn't surprise me when the Z didn't show up.

Hopefully the new certs are issued for both I and Z.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I believe this is the case. My cert (issued 6/2018) says it's valid for A/I fares. When I do a dummy booking I only see I fares, even if Z are available. I never saw G fares show up either, so it didn't surprise me when the Z didn't show up.

Hopefully the new certs are issued for both I and Z.
This seems like something AMEX and DL agents need to discuss. I know when my wife's companion ticket was re-issued, it was coded into Z class even though we booked in A. For my companion pass, we booked into I so there hasn't been an issue. I would suspect that the companion pass needs reissued by AMEX. I'm not sure what the process is for that but a call to AMEX might lead you to some solution.

What is the price difference for I and Z? if its minuscule, I would just book into I and not worry about but if the price is hundreds, then it is something to be concerned about.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernCanada
This seems like something AMEX and DL agents need to discuss. I know when my wife's companion ticket was re-issued, it was coded into Z class even though we booked in A. For my companion pass, we booked into I so there hasn't been an issue. I would suspect that the companion pass needs reissued by AMEX. I'm not sure what the process is for that but a call to AMEX might lead you to some solution.

What is the price difference for I and Z? if its minuscule, I would just book into I and not worry about but if the price is hundreds, then it is something to be concerned about.
I got the impression that the OP no longer has the Reserve card, so calling Amex is probably not a good idea as I thought that technically the cert was supposed to be invalid, but in reality it sits in Delta's as valid even though you may no longer have the original card that got you the cert in the first place.
runningformqm likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by SouthernCanada

In the particular case I'm looking at, it's about $40 difference. So I'm not going to worry about it. But it's good to hear at least one companion fare has booked (or at least re-issued) in Z.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

I think the issue might have been its only valid for a/i based on the last agent i spoke to (terms wouldnt load for some reason on the site). assumed it was i/z. the ticketing desk wasnt able to price it with an i fare for some reason...just gave up and booked y
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, A and I would make sense as under the old fare class system, for domestic FC G was the lowest fare followed by A (and then P and F), while business class fares had Z as the lowest, followed by I (and then D, C and J, with some routes apparently not having both C and J). IMO I would be the analogue of A.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
I have a domestic AMEX Delta companion certificate and noticed that both of us are eligible to first class when I used the certificate. I am sure upgrades to first were not possible to either of us when a companion certificate was used. Is this something new or a mistake?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pax on companion cert's became upgrade eligible around two years ago (April 6, 2017 I believe).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.