Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Didn't get an upgrade? - maybe you did

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Didn't get an upgrade? - maybe you did

Flying MCO-SLC and sadly was number 10 for 9 available pseudo-D1 seats on the internationally configured morning 767. (Seasonal?) Was resigned to my seat in the back when I heard the happy beep when scanning my boarding pass at the gate. Oddly, I was then given someone else's boarding pass. Didn't realize it right away, but it was 1C's boarding pass. Checked the mobile app and saw that I was 1B, so took my seat. Nobody showed up for 1C, so grabbed the purser, gave him the boarding pass, he went and found the lucky guy in the back of the plane whose boarding pass I had. Advice, if you're near the top of the list and everybody clears, keep checking the mobile app. You might be upgraded and never know it!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Nice! But would you have done it if your seat on the App had still been in C+.... not that I'd judge you!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pfreet
Flying MCO-SLC and sadly was number 10 for 9 available pseudo-D1 seats on the internationally configured morning 767. (Seasonal?) Was resigned to my seat in the back when I heard the happy beep when scanning my boarding pass at the gate. Oddly, I was then given someone else's boarding pass. Didn't realize it right away, but it was 1C's boarding pass. Checked the mobile app and saw that I was 1B, so took my seat. Nobody showed up for 1C, so grabbed the purser, gave him the boarding pass, he went and found the lucky guy in the back of the plane whose boarding pass I had. Advice, if you're near the top of the list and everybody clears, keep checking the mobile app. You might be upgraded and never know it!
Nice!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Sort of related - Has DL essentially stopped calling those who receive an upgrade to the podium prior to boarding with their new BP? Yes, I know the info displays on the monitors, DL app, and a new BP will print when the old one is scanned causing the "beep beep" and new seat assignment to print. Just flew a 3 segment trip and was upgraded on 2/3 legs. Never was called by the GA. Just noticed it on my phone. I boarded with First but noticed many of the other upgraded individuals boarding with Sky/C+ leading me to wonder if they knew they were upgraded or not prior to approaching the scanner.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Sort of related - Has DL essentially stopped calling those who receive an upgrade to the podium prior to boarding with their new BP? Yes, I know the info displays on the monitors, DL app, and a new BP will print when the old one is scanned causing the "beep beep" and new seat assignment to print. Just flew a 3 segment trip and was upgraded on 2/3 legs. Never was called by the GA. Just noticed it on my phone. I boarded with First but noticed many of the other upgraded individuals boarding with Sky/C+ leading me to wonder if they knew they were upgraded or not prior to approaching the scanner.
Nope, not lately. I've had to check the app lately to know.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:05 am

Whew, you had me nervous. I was 8th for 5 seats a couple days ago on this flight and used a RUC to jump to 1. Thought of the poor guy at 5 that got bumped to 6. Glad it wasn't you.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by loratliff
Nope, not lately. I've had to check the app lately to know.
Same here
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm glad that DL doesn't do like some other carrier and call people to the podium at random times to get upgraded baording passes and then if the person isn't in the gate area then or doesn't hear the announcement, the GA just cancels the upgrade and goes to the next person on the list, perhaps repeating the procedure until nonrevs get the FC seats or FC seata go out empty. I would hate the idea that one must be at the gate (and paying close attention to unintelligible announcements) from before the GA arrives. If you want to enjoy the lounge or if you have a tight/late connection, your gate upgrade is given away.
Widgets, indufan and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
It's rare to get called to the podium for an upgrade. It does happen to me most often at PHX though. I think the gate agents there do it as a courtesy. Often times I have seen them call people up and ask for seat preference if there are multiple seats available for upgrade.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by mridley2
It's rare to get called to the podium for an upgrade. It does happen to me most often at PHX though. I think the gate agents there do it as a courtesy. Often times I have seen them call people up and ask for seat preference if there are multiple seats available for upgrade.
That's nice of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.