Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclub access on US to CAD flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Skyclub access on US to CAD flight

I see conflicting information in threads on here, and the language on Delta's page is not crystal clear. I have no status whatsoever.

If I book first class YYZ-ATL return, am I correct in thinking:

a) no lounge access at YYZ on my way to Atlanta (no physical lounge available)
b) I do get lounge access in ATL on my way to Toronto

Does that seem right to everyone? The fare difference means it would be worth it with lounge access, but likely not without. Thank you!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:41 pm

Yes that is correct
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you kindly!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:06 pm

In ATL I don’t think a first class ticket gives you Sky Club access at all. Canada and the Caribbean are not treated as true international destinations. You need to check into this but I would bet heavily that you won’t get access without a DL Reserve card or SC membership. In YYZ there is no transborder Sky Club.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL has its own definitions of international for different purposes. Canada does count for SC access but the Caribbean does not.

I think the OP should have access to SCs in ATL upon arrival after the outbound flight since most Canadian airports are preclearance.

Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you - yes this seems to confuse more than just be! I won't need clubs on arrival, going straight to hotel, but a club on the way back ATL-YYZ would be welcome, after a full day of meetings etc.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
In ATL I don’t think a first class ticket gives you Sky Club access at all. Canada and the Caribbean are not treated as true international destinations. You need to check into this but I would bet heavily that you won’t get access without a DL Reserve card or SC membership. In YYZ there is no transborder Sky Club.
This isn't the case. DL includes Canada for Skyclub access. Generally most SC agents know this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:01 pm

Does the SC distinguish between paid first class and a complimentary upgrade to first class on an ATL>YYZ flight? Would anyone without status or a Reserve card have SC access just due to an upgrade?

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Feb 26, 2019 at 6:56 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the SC distinguish between paid first class and a complimentary upgrade to first class on an ATL>YYZ flight? Would anyone without status ir a Reserve card have SC access just due to an upgrade?
I can't imagine anyone without status getting a free upgrade confirmed in advance unless it's *one* traveling companion of an elite, who IIRC would still have one guest SC access as GM+ on a SkyTeam international itinerary. FOs generally don't get upgrades to FC and OPUP boarding passes won't be given before the gate.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Does the SC distinguish between paid first class and a complimentary upgrade to first class on an ATL>YYZ flight? Would anyone without status ir a Reserve card have SC access just due to an upgrade?
Nope. One just must be confirmed in the cabin to get access.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hello, reporting back in case this is useful for anyone else. Whilst the information given was correct at time of posting, Delta have now changed the rules for Canada flights. Posted on another thread, but letting people know in case they find this through a search, since information has changed:

I flew in paid First April 10th 2019, Atlanta to Toronto. I went to the SC in the international terminal (F), and upon scanning my boarding pass, the agent told me that flights to Canada no longer have access to the lounge due to a recent change in policy. I persisted (not actually having rechecked in the last couple of weeks since initially asking on here) insisting when I booked the ticket I absolutely had access and is why I selected Delta over another carrier, and she relented, and told me I could have access 'just this once' as it was such a recent change, but in future I would not be allowed.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
strange. I just got access this week as a GM with a Canadian destination. I wonder if the change is only for F?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
strange. I just got access this week as a GM with a Canadian destination. I wonder if the change is only for F?
Yes, only for F, although some insist in the other thread this change is not happening.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
GM is SkyTeam ElitePlus, so those rules regarding lounge access on international SkyTeam itineraries should apply, regardless of cabin class, although DL tends to make its own rules.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:38 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
Hello, reporting back in case this is useful for anyone else. Whilst the information given was correct at time of posting, Delta have now changed the rules for Canada flights. Posted on another thread, but letting people know in case they find this through a search, since information has changed:

I flew in paid First April 10th 2019, Atlanta to Toronto. I went to the SC in the international terminal (F), and upon scanning my boarding pass, the agent told me that flights to Canada no longer have access to the lounge due to a recent change in policy. I persisted (not actually having rechecked in the last couple of weeks since initially asking on here) insisting when I booked the ticket I absolutely had access and is why I selected Delta over another carrier, and she relented, and told me I could have access 'just this once' as it was such a recent change, but in future I would not be allowed.
Yup, this is exactly what happened to me (as detailed in another thread) about 6 months ago while connecting in MSP when flying on a paid first ticket. When I complained about it the message I kept getting from Delta is that new rules had been implemented and that first class to ANY destination international or otherwise no longer get Sky Club access. That sky club access for non-status/non-member fliers in premium cabins is only for those in DeltaONE. I fly to Canada once a year in paid premium classes and will be switching to Air Canada from now on. It's the same price and lounge access matters to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.